Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Help on some of my new builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/54820-help-some-my-new-builds.html)

Slik-Skillz June 16, 2012 03:44 PM

Help on some of my new builds
 
Whats up HWC forums, so after working for a long to save up some money, I wanna build my new pc's. My core 2 duo e6300 and 9800gtx+ have finally died out and i need upgrades. So my plans are to build a HTPC, A File Server, and a gaming pc. so here are my initial components for these builds:

Getting Parts from NCIX or CanadaComputers :canadianwave: ( any other suggestions? )

Gaming PC $1500-$1700:
CPU:Intel core i7 2600k (plan on overclocking to 4.4 GHz)
MOBO:ASUS z77 Sabertooth ( aesthetically pleasing )
GPU : Nvidia GTX 670 or AMD 6870 xFire ( I know how stupid I am :doh:, will be running on 3 1080p monitors)
RAM : Corsair Vengeance LP white 8 GB ram x2
SSD : Crucial M4 128 GB
HDD : Seagate 1tb, 2tb,or 3tb (whatever goes on sale at the time)
Case : NZXT Switch 810 white or black (still haven't decided)
PSU : Undecided ( support for sli 670's )
CPU Cooler : Corsair H100
Fans and Extras :2 x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm White Led fans
2 x Bitfenix 120mm all white fans
3 x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm White Led fans
3 x Bitfenix 140mm all white fans
also a Bitfenix Hydra Pro and White Bitfenix Alchemy Extensions(White) and White led strips

I already have the DVD drive and OS so no problemo. I know this build can be a lot cheaper but I am really big on aesthetics so yeah. Off to the next build

HTPC $350-$400:
CPU & MOBO :ASUS E45M-I Deluxe
RAM : 4 GB or 8 GB
CASE : Inwin BP655 w/ 200 w PSU
SSD : OCZ agility 60gb
ODD: Blu ray Drive

the reason i have no hdd in here is because i want all my files on my home server/file server (via XBMC)so there accessible on all my computers, so that bring us to the server

Home/Media/File Server ( Don't know what to call it ) >$700?:
CPU : Intel Pentium G620
MOBO : Mini ITX Board
RAM : 8 GB ( OVERKILL!!!!!!)
CASE: Bitfenix Prodigy ( love at first site )
PSU: Corsair 430w Builder Series
SSD: any 60GB ( only os and utorrent)
HDD: 2 x 3TB in Raid 1 ( i was thinking Raid 5 with 4 drives)
OS : WHS 2011 or Windows 7 ?

My first time building a Server so yeah I think the build says it all. You guys could put together your own server build with out a case cuz im just in love with the prodigy. And in advance guys thank you so much for your input and I'm open to all suggestions and brands. Thank you Guys and Gals

JoeOnePack June 17, 2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik-Skillz (Post 635205)
Whats up HWC forums, so after working for a long to save up some money, I wanna build my new pc's. My core 2 duo e6300 and 9800gtx+ have finally died out and i need upgrades. So my plans are to build a HTPC, A File Server, and a gaming pc. so here are my initial components for these builds:

Getting Parts from NCIX or CanadaComputers :canadianwave: ( any other suggestions? )

Gaming PC $1500-$1700:
CPU:Intel core i7 2600k (plan on overclocking to 4.4 GHz)
MOBO:ASUS z77 Sabertooth ( aesthetically pleasing )
GPU : Nvidia GTX 670 or AMD 6870 xFire ( I know how stupid I am :doh:, will be running on 3 1080p monitors)
RAM : Corsair Vengeance LP white 8 GB ram x2
SSD : Crucial M4 128 GB
HDD : Seagate 1tb, 2tb,or 3tb (whatever goes on sale at the time)
Case : NZXT Switch 810 white or black (still haven't decided)
PSU : Undecided ( support for sli 670's )
CPU Cooler : Corsair H100
Fans and Extras :2 x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm White Led fans
2 x Bitfenix 120mm all white fans
3 x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm White Led fans
3 x Bitfenix 140mm all white fans
also a Bitfenix Hydra Pro and White Bitfenix Alchemy Extensions(White) and White led strips

I already have the DVD drive and OS so no problemo. I know this build can be a lot cheaper but I am really big on aesthetics so yeah. Off to the next build

HTPC $350-$400:
CPU & MOBO :ASUS E45M-I Deluxe
RAM : 4 GB or 8 GB
CASE : Inwin BP655 w/ 200 w PSU
SSD : OCZ agility 60gb
ODD: Blu ray Drive

the reason i have no hdd in here is because i want all my files on my home server/file server (via XBMC)so there accessible on all my computers, so that bring us to the server

Home/Media/File Server ( Don't know what to call it ) >$700?:
CPU : Intel Pentium G620
MOBO : Mini ITX Board
RAM : 8 GB ( OVERKILL!!!!!!)
CASE: Bitfenix Prodigy ( love at first site )
PSU: Corsair 430w Builder Series
SSD: any 60GB ( only os and utorrent)
HDD: 2 x 3TB in Raid 1 ( i was thinking Raid 5 with 4 drives)
OS : WHS 2011 or Windows 7 ?

My first time building a Server so yeah I think the build says it all. You guys could put together your own server build with out a case cuz im just in love with the prodigy. And in advance guys thank you so much for your input and I'm open to all suggestions and brands. Thank you Guys and Gals


Gaming PC looks pretty good. Definitely could save some money by switching to a different board. It really depends on the look and colour scheme you are looking for. Everything looks good. Stick with a GTX 670. I have one and really cant complain. 1080p monitors will be fine for that card. It's when you start moving up in resolution that it may not cut it.

For a PSU, I would personally stick with a Corsair/Seasonic PSU. If you want to SLI in the future and want to pick a PSU that will work for that later, get at least 750w. If you strive for aesthetics you probably want a fully modular PSU like the AX model PSU's by Corsair. AX750, AX850 etc.

I am very curious how the white led's are going to look in the case. When I did my build I was seriously considering using white led's only inside the case. Ended getting blue ones instead because they were on sale. I fine blue led's wash out all the colours in the case. That's my only problem.

Other than that, looks fantastic. I will withhold comments on your other two builds as I am not versed too well in those fields.

Good luck!

Slik-Skillz June 17, 2012 02:21 PM

@JoeOnePack
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeOnePack (Post 635319)
Gaming PC looks pretty good. Definitely could save some money by switching to a different board. It really depends on the look and colour scheme you are looking for. Everything looks good. Stick with a GTX 670. I have one and really cant complain. 1080p monitors will be fine for that card. It's when you start moving up in resolution that it may not cut it.

For a PSU, I would personally stick with a Corsair/Seasonic PSU. If you want to SLI in the future and want to pick a PSU that will work for that later, get at least 750w. If you strive for aesthetics you probably want a fully modular PSU like the AX model PSU's by Corsair. AX750, AX850 etc.

I am very curious how the white led's are going to look in the case. When I did my build I was seriously considering using white led's only inside the case. Ended getting blue ones instead because they were on sale. I fine blue led's wash out all the colours in the case. That's my only problem.

Other than that, looks fantastic. I will withhold comments on your other two builds as I am not versed too well in those fields.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice ! well I'm going with a white and black theme build. I chose the switch 810 in black so ill try the white leds, but i wanted to step away from the regular blue (been using blue led fans and cathodes for the last 4 years). Thanks for your input and ill make sure I do a build log.

Dzzope June 17, 2012 03:03 PM

Think for surround gaming you would want 2x 670 for good fps... if it's single monitor gaming but 3 screens then a single 670 should do..
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-16.html


The only things I might change in the gaming build would be a 3570k, for a gaming build the i7 is wasted and money is better spent else-where..
the h100 to a H60.. your not pushing that hard, again money can be saved and spent elsewhere..
and a sandforce based ssd (there are some very close to the M4 in value that will beat it in performance)

PSU, seasonic based modular 850 watt will leave you some overhead for 680's in sli and all your extras.

Can I ask why you want a separate HTPC and server.. you could possibly combine these 2 into 1 build and save some bucks to spend on your gaming build.
Like Joe, I'm not very well versed in these myself but I'm sure there are options to consider and other people that could advise better than I on this..

If you could save enough I would be very tempted by a custom water loop for CPU and GPU(s)
Looks awesome and kick-ass cooling without the need for a dozen fans.


P.S I'm very jealous over your buildS

Slik-Skillz June 17, 2012 03:49 PM

@Dzzope
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 635359)
Think for surround gaming you would want 2x 670 for good fps... if it's single monitor gaming but 3 screens then a single 670 should do..
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-16.html


The only things I might change in the gaming build would be a 3570k, for a gaming build the i7 is wasted and money is better spent else-where..
the h100 to a H60.. your not pushing that hard, again money can be saved and spent elsewhere..
and a sandforce based ssd (there are some very close to the M4 in value that will beat it in performance)

PSU, seasonic based modular 850 watt will leave you some overhead for 680's in sli and all your extras.

Can I ask why you want a separate HTPC and server.. you could possibly combine these 2 into 1 build and save some bucks to spend on your gaming build.
Like Joe, I'm not very well versed in these myself but I'm sure there are options to consider and other people that could advise better than I on this..

If you could save enough I would be very tempted by a custom water loop for CPU and GPU(s)
Looks awesome and kick-ass cooling without the need for a dozen fans.


P.S I'm very jealous over your buildS

Thanks for all your input. I was thinking about making the server htpc together but i have 4 other computer in the house and the server and htpc are going to be different rooms, but now i think about it it seems like a very good idea.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 AM.