Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2012, 08:50 AM
Rookie

Most of this kit will come from overclock.co.uk, compaired to companies, that include, Amazon, Overclockers, Ebuyer, Micro Direct, Dabs, scan.co.uk, overclock.co.uk.

Overclock beat everyones price hands down, whole build for 1292+ memory (they dont do 8 GIG sticks)
Memory will be about 200

Decided to go with the Gigabyte Motherboard after a lot of reading reviews and peoples comments here and the Coolmaster HAF-X Case.

Have changed the hard drives to 4 x Segate Baracuda all in one 500g ST500DM005 (RAID 0) because they have a faster responce time as they only have one platter.

Just the Msata issue to sort now

Do I need one ?? what size?? what make?? its only being used as a cache and after seeing some demos of load times of programs on tec tips I am VERY tempted.

Once again, thanks to all who have replied.

MaDbrIt
Old June 11, 2012, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You'll have your programs on an SSD already though?

Cache drive is too speed up a normal hdd rather than an SSD... One or the Other.

Scan *should* work out cheaper overall (especially if you look at their bundles) but it will be very very close.
Old June 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
Rookie

Most of my programs will reside on the 4 x Hard Drives in Raid 0, the SSD if for a boot drive and the most important ADOBE softwarte only, After Effects, Premier Pro and Photoshop.

I need the fast drive for them and MS Flight Sims X, the only game I have that I play a lot.

MadBriT

Last edited by madbrit; June 11, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old June 12, 2012, 01:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

a 256 GB SSD is plenty big enough for all your programs.

I currently have windows, TF2, L4D2, MW3, WOW, BFBC2 all loaded on my 120GB SSD.. the only game (actually the only thing installed on my system at all) that isn't is BF3 and thats cos I'm now a lil short on room on the SSD.

You shouldn't need to separate any of your games or programs from your SSD with 256 GB (unless you have CRAP loads of games.)
Old June 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
Rookie

I do have a load of games, but don't play Most of them very often, like most people, i get a BF2 /3 moment for a few weeks then thats it for a year or so, FX10 will the one I play the most when I get a systen to run it, then as I said its all Adobe.

Thanks for your input

MaDBriT
Old June 12, 2012, 06:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrit View Post
Most of this kit will come from overclock.co.uk, compaired to companies, that include, Amazon, Overclockers, Ebuyer, Micro Direct, Dabs, scan.co.uk, overclock.co.uk.

Overclock beat everyones price hands down, whole build for 1292+ memory (they dont do 8 GIG sticks)
Memory will be about 200

Decided to go with the Gigabyte Motherboard after a lot of reading reviews and peoples comments here and the Coolmaster HAF-X Case.

Have changed the hard drives to 4 x Segate Baracuda all in one 500g ST500DM005 (RAID 0) because they have a faster responce time as they only have one platter.

Just the Msata issue to sort now

Do I need one ?? what size?? what make?? its only being used as a cache and after seeing some demos of load times of programs on tec tips I am VERY tempted.

Once again, thanks to all who have replied.

MaDbrIt
i'm very surprised overclockers is working out cheapest for you m8,
None Of the 10 components for my next I7 SB-E x79 build will be coming from them as In my price match between

dabs
scan
novatech
cclonline
ebuyer
aria
and
overclockers

thay almost allways came last for value,
(just goes to show the variance in markups between the different components by different companies)
the cheapest for you is the most expensive for me lol

also ordering form 5 different sites, rather than just 1,is saveing me 105 (that is evan with the extra shipping cost)
thats a Free 128gb vertex 4 for me

i find its definitely allways worth shopping around,

anyways m8,
good luck with your build,
it sounds sweet!
Old June 12, 2012, 09:17 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I will say one thing, if you get the Sabertooth (Awesome board), the AI Suite for it does not include the Auto Tuning, however from setting Preformance on the BIOS, gives it a stable 4.2GHz OC.
Old June 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrit View Post
I do have a load of games, but don't play Most of them very often, like most people, i get a BF2 /3 moment for a few weeks then thats it for a year or so, FX10 will the one I play the most when I get a systen to run it, then as I said its all Adobe.

Thanks for your input

MaDBriT
In which case your best bet is to keep the stuff you always use on the SSD and the stuff you go at for a week or so on the storage array.. Then simply move it to the SSD as it takes your fancy and off again when you've had enough.

Never heard of anyone caching a storage drive(s) before.

On the source of the parts.. Scan is generally the cheapest. They are by far the largest importer of stuff in the UK. That said if you look out for sales/specials/combo deals and of course if they are trying to simply shift stock then you can save a pretty penny by getting your stuff from different e-tailers.