Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2012, 03:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Diablo III Budget Build $850ish, Advice Plz!

Hi all, subject says it all!

I would like to build a new computer, I will need everything except for the monitor/keyboard/mouse. I live in Texas, USA so I would like that kept in mind as shipping can be expensive. First off, the budget is roughly $820 plus taxes.. I will go over if need be.

The build will need to include a tower, and if the price does not afford an SSD then regular hard drive will do. The main use of the computer will of course be to play Diablo 3, but also to watch movies and the like.

If yall could help me out with a build at this price range, it would be awesome. Thank you so much!!!

BigNate
Old June 10, 2012, 05:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here you go!

Since you didn't specify many details in your post, I had to forgo any specific cases you'd like so you have to factor in that cost yourself. The build total above is $930, but after MIRs, it comes to $845. You can save some cash by opting out of getting a DVD drive, dropping the CPU cooler (assuming you don't OC since it's a budget board anyway), and getting a cheaper version of the 7850.

Also, you have to factor in the cost of the OS. You can play around with the consumer preview of Windows 8, or buy a copy of Windows 7 now since you'll be eligible for the $15 upgrade to Windows 8 when it's released.
Old June 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have to say that that build doesn't make much sense... A H61 board with a 2500k??? Whats the point.. drop the 2500k for a 2400 or even lower as Diablo isn't really CPU bound.. put the savings into the GPU.

I would also drop the SSD totally and probably drop the HDD to a 1TB one (unless you use allot of storage)
Realistically, for the likes of Diablo 3 (and hell even BF3) a 2400 is more than enough for non enthusiasts.

The CPU cooler isn't needed but will keep your chip nice and chilly compared to the stock one.

What resolution is your monitor? (at 1080 the 7850 is enough though you will see some increase for a larger card but the spend gets much bigger for less increase)
Do you like to have all the graphics settings turned all the way to 11 or is it enough to be smooth and med-high settings?

back on the SSD, if your really bothered by boot times then get one.. if your not, then don't bother as it's allot of money for loading your os and programs a bit faster..
Old June 10, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I have to say that that build doesn't make much sense... A H61 board with a 2500k??? Whats the point.. drop the 2500k for a 2400 or even lower as Diablo isn't really CPU bound.. put the savings into the GPU.

I would also drop the SSD totally and probably drop the HDD to a 1TB one (unless you use allot of storage)
Realistically, for the likes of Diablo 3 (and hell even BF3) a 2400 is more than enough for non enthusiasts.

The CPU cooler isn't needed but will keep your chip nice and chilly compared to the stock one.

What resolution is your monitor? (at 1080 the 7850 is enough though you will see some increase for a larger card but the spend gets much bigger for less increase)
Do you like to have all the graphics settings turned all the way to 11 or is it enough to be smooth and med-high settings?

back on the SSD, if your really bothered by boot times then get one.. if your not, then don't bother as it's allot of money for loading your os and programs a bit faster..
My bad, my mind automatically went for the K when I saw the price difference of $5. Grab the 2500 instead to save another $5.
Old June 10, 2012, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hmmm, that seems ... oddd...

Picking Canada makes a bit of difference but the price difference is really allot closer than I remembered or had realized that they had become... Apologies, Infiniti.
A 2500 is $20 cheaper than the k but the 2400 is the same price as the 2500..

Realistically unless a game is cpu dependent you will see little to no difference between any of these chips.. Hell a decent AMD chip will be hard to distinguish. (though they are much worse in other things)
The largest gains you will see in the vast majority of games will come from the GPU and not the CPU. Basically any decent quad core chip will serve you well.

Another option to get a very very very good rig would be second hand chip board ram and GPU... I've seen quite a few bargains in the BST section recently of i5's i7's etc (and with most here being enthusiasts they are very good parts)
Though obviously the BST section isn't alive at the moment.
Old June 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No worries! You brought up a great point and I should've noted that.

A 2500 would definitely be the best all-rounder he can get for a decent budget, but we'll have to see what OP wants from his rig. It also depends on the other games he'd like to play since I can think of a couple blockbusters off the top of my head that are pretty CPU intensive.
Old June 10, 2012, 06:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My monitor is acer h223h, it's 1080 res. 1 TB is enough for storage, and I don't need an after market cooler. If I have enough funds for a small ssd for os/diablo, i will opt for it but that is a 'luxury'. Yes I would like to play diablo 3 in high graphics settings if possible.

Thanks for the input so far, can you tell me a final parts list so I can start ordering this week.

Please advise

Thank you!!! :D
Old June 10, 2012, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I wouldn't bother with a 32 GB ssd. If you really want one then save and add it later. Min 60(64) gb and ideally 120GB when / if you do.
Old June 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The build I linked calls for a 120GB SSD and a 2TB drive.

You can drop one of them in favour of a 7870 though.
Old June 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

$850 buys a lot right now. You should be able to get a 120GB SSD in there fine.