Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2012, 07:48 PM
Rookie

Smile Silent Build w/o water cooling?

I'm new to hardwarecanucks so i'm sorry if I do something or mention something that's wrong. I THINK i'm posting in the right section?

1. I'm mainly using my computer to play Diablo 3 and Dota + i like to keep LOTS of tabs open on my web browsers 20-30 tabs at once (more ram required?) OH yeah i do a bit of photo editing if you need to know that.

2. My budget currently is $850 Canadian dollars ($900 max including tax) w/o VIDEO CARD***. Also, i'd prefer retailers i can buy from in person. NCIX and MemoryExpress are ones can i go to.

3. I live in BC. Obviously Canada

4. I do prefer Intel over AMD, but other than that i'm good with any other brands

5. I don't intend on using any old components.

6. I don't have any intentions to OC atm.

7. I'm looking for opinions on which components i should get for the following

A) Case (very quiet/silent without compromising too much ventilation)
B) Power supply (fanless or a very quiet one)<-- 500W or greater & a reliable brand?
C) Processor (from Intel, sorry AMD-fanboys/gals) <-- looking for ivy bridge i5's if that can fit the budget
D) CPU cooler (no fan heatsink but a closed loop water cooling system) <--Example the corsair H40? H60?
E) Motherboard (won't be crossfire-ing or sli-ing)
F) Hard Drive (plan to get the WD 2TB green drive/ maybe an SSD boot drive if that can fit the budget?)
G) Video Card*** (best bang for the buck or onboard until the gtx 660's and 650's come out?)
H) RAM
I) Anything else that I've missed

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by TimidTeddy; June 5, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old June 5, 2012, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimidTeddy View Post

6. I don't have any intentions to OC atm.

A) Case (very quiet/silent without compromising too much ventilation)
B) Power supply (fanless or a very quiet one)<-- 500W or greater & a reliable brand?
C) Processor (from Intel, sorry AMD-fanboys/gals) <-- looking for ivy bridge i5's if that can fit the budget
D) CPU cooler (no fan heatsink but a closed loop water cooling system) <--Example the corsair H40? H60?
E) Motherboard (won't be crossfire-ing or sli-ing)
F) Hard Drive (plan to get the WD 2TB green drive/ maybe an SSD boot drive if that can fit the budget?)
G) Video Card*** (best bang for the buck or onboard until the gtx 660's and 650's come out?)
H) RAM
I) Anything else that I've missed

Thanks a bunch!
Ok.. firstly if you don't plan on ocing then you can save a bunch on the processor by going for something a bit smaller than the usual 3570k that is suggested.. though at least if you did get the 3570k you could oc it in the future without spending any more money.

A) lil expensive but Fractal Design Define XL Review is very good.. I would suggest looking at something around the $100 mark though (you may possibly be able to price-match it down to 120 ish or so)

B) xfx seasonic based unit, Antec, corsair etc all seasonic based.. should run pretty cool and fairly if not whisper quiet... 650 would be my suggestion for psu as it give a bit of head room, though on a tight budget a 520 watt may be optimum.

C) see above.

D) H60 would be my pick of the closed loop coolers. Though with such a budget and with a sound-proofed case and not overclocking on a cool running chip(at stock) you could probably get away with a stock cooler and upgrade later if you find it's noisy or not up to the job

E) an MATX board will generally be cheaper, not have as much ability to OC or add extra cards.. though at $135 the ASUS P8Z77-V Lk (atx board) is hard to beat on value. (after rebate)

F)I would definitely not advise getting the WD green as your boot disk.. They are designed for back-up rather than anything else. slow and not Ideal. If you get an SSD that you can fit your os and programs on then yes go for it. but get at least a WD blue and preferably a Black for a boot drive.. (p.s one of the loudest things in my pc at the moment is the HDD's, though my Case is definitely for air-flow and not silence)

G) Considering your budget I wouldn't bother and use on-board till your ideal card is out. Though if you hunt around you could find a 570 or similar at a bargain price.. I believe there is a 560ti 448 core (basically a 570) in the BST forum at the moment for 220$.. Infact I think you could probably build half your rig from second-hand parts (i5 with board and psu-gpu and ram, I never buy HDD's second hand personally) and then wrap it up in a nice silent case.

H) 8 GB is plenty.. get the cheapest at 1600Mhz that you can find (I believe the samsung low profile stuff is good) if you find you need more later.. buy more and add it.

I) Think you have covered everything bar an optical drive, which TBH I wouldn't even bother with these days myself. USB drive for install disk

Price-match EVERYTHING if you go for new. If you go for second-hand, make sure it's someone you trust / has good feedback and your getting a significant amount of money off the new price (personally unless the item wasn't used I wouldn't pay more than 75% of current retail prices.
You can have a hellofa machine for very little if you go second hand as the guys with lots of cash get rid of last gen tech for the new shiney (where there is very small differences in performance)
Old June 5, 2012, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Prodigy

BitFenix Prodigy Review - YouTube

look at this case maybe ?
Old June 5, 2012, 11:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

While I'm liking it... not exactly a quiet case...
Old June 6, 2012, 06:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It's a little on the expensive side but a very nice and quiet case, I would suggest the Corsair Obsidian 550D. It's $149.99 at NCIX.
Old June 8, 2012, 01:20 AM
Rookie

Yeah a bit pricy but the Corsair 550D is indeed built for silent computing, has nice airflow and looks pretty nice. He can price match it down to $127.77 with the following link:
Buy CORSAIR [CC-9011015-WW] Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Quiet Mid-Tower Case ATX 4X5.25 6X3.5INT USB3.0 1394 No PS

I think Dzzope gave overall great advice but I'd just add a refinement to the power supply.

B) If you're into "silence", then get a power supply that has a hybrid silent fan control feature where you can manually shut off the fan on the PSU to have fanless mode; obviously it's dead silent with no fan spinning. It spins when it's over 20% load on the PSU. I love my Seasonic power supply for this feature. If you're gaming or using the computer with some load, just switch it back to normal. Even normal mode the fan is quiet. Corsair AX models and XFX power supplies have these features also.
Old June 17, 2012, 11:17 PM
Rookie

THANKS GUYS sorry for the late late late late reply I've been extremely busy.... with graduation and everything
Dzzope you are the BEST!
and i appreciate michaelubc for clarifying details on what PS to get!
Overclocking.ca, i love that case it's awesome in fact i just bought it today!!!
Thanks again guys!!!!
Old June 18, 2012, 02:09 AM
Rookie

TimidTeddy,

You're welcome for the feedback and suggestions :) And Congratulations on graduation!

You should have a pretty nice system optimized for your "silent" or very quiet system. I am totally into very quiet/silent yet powerful computer systems. One more thing I like to add:

G. The video card. Since you are aiming for silent case, power supply, also try for a video card that is fairly quiet. Peferably get a 600 series video card if you have the cash or later upgrade to one. They are smaller in size, have less heat, use less electricity and also less noise. If for now you're on budget, those people that suggested the "used" route, it's okay too. Evga is usually a good reliable brand but the warranty on the older generation video cards might not be transferrable on warranty. New generations are transferrable, maybe used gtx 670 or 680 down the road.

Also the fan curve can be changed, e.g. using Evga precision software, to set certain thresholds for when the fan ramps up or goes higher based on temperature. By controlling this, you can make your video card have less "noise" again, since the rest of your system is going to be quiet.

Get a couple of good case fan upgrades if you find the Corsair fans aren't quiet enough but they should be based on that Corsair 550D case.

Good luck on the new computer system build !
Old June 18, 2012, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimidTeddy View Post
THANKS GUYS sorry for the late late late late reply I've been extremely busy.... with graduation and everything
Dzzope you are the BEST!
and i appreciate michaelubc for clarifying details on what PS to get!
Overclocking.ca, i love that case it's awesome in fact i just bought it today!!!
Thanks again guys!!!!
You are very welcome, good luck with the build.
Old June 25, 2012, 12:31 AM
Rookie

Hmm OKAY i finally had time to actually buy my parts and I'm currently working on my build! I'll post pics when completed. Once again THANKS for all your opinions!

Tags
silent