Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2012, 06:13 PM
Rookie

Default New Workstation Computer Build, which cpu cooler with this setup?

I'm going to purchase this setup for my beginning workstation computer build use for 3d apps like Maya, 3DS max 2011, Zbrush, Adobe Master Collection CS.5.5, and Modo.
Which Cpu cooler should I get with this setup at a cheapest price as possible? I'm not planning to overclock it.

Coolermaster Cm 690 II Black case

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb 7200 rpm SATA 6.0GB/ 3.5 internal hard drive

OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Intel i7 2600k sandy bridge

Corsair vengeance 16gb sdram ddr3

Asrock z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157293

AMD Firepro V5900 2gb

Crucial M4 128gb Sata III Solid State Drive SSD
Old May 16, 2012, 06:33 PM
Allstar

Ditch that OCZ power supply and switch the motherboard to a Z68 unless you plan on getting Ivy Bridge. While I think the 2500K will work with the Z77 chipset, it will not give you the extra benefits unless you go with a 3xxx CPU. You can look at SlientPC and see their CPU guide.

Cooling | silentpcreview.com
Old May 16, 2012, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your buying a k series chip and a custom cooler to not oc... I find it very strange with how easy it is, how safe it is and how much performance you get from overclocking these to a sensible level that people buy them to not oc..

if your really not going to oc.. stay with stock.. it's fine for even a slight oc..

Cheap good custom is the CM 212+ or 212evo
Old May 16, 2012, 09:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Your buying a k series chip and a custom cooler to not oc... I find it very strange with how easy it is, how safe it is and how much performance you get from overclocking these to a sensible level that people buy them to not oc..

if your really not going to oc.. stay with stock.. it's fine for even a slight oc..

Cheap good custom is the CM 212+ or 212evo
Is Overclocking easy? I'm a beginner to buy and building a first computer and where can I find a tutorial to overclocking a cpu?

Also will this motherboard and power supply do the trick?

ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 1066 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboard

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-750TXV2
Old May 16, 2012, 11:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Answer to all is yes.

For overclocking, there should be plenty of info in the overclocking section here.. there should also be many video tutorials about.. Google is your friend.

If you have any specific questions or problems you can ask when you get that far.

I'm not very familiar with the workstation cards.. if you need more suggestions for this I'm sure there are others here in the know.
Old May 17, 2012, 02:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Answer to all is yes.

For overclocking, there should be plenty of info in the overclocking section here.. there should also be many video tutorials about.. Google is your friend.

If you have any specific questions or problems you can ask when you get that far.

I'm not very familiar with the workstation cards.. if you need more suggestions for this I'm sure there are others here in the know.

Thank you very much, now I'm off to purchase these settings.
Old June 2, 2012, 03:46 PM
Rookie

I need help building a computer where can I find a video or something to help me build a computer with this setup.
Old June 2, 2012, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As in physically assembling the parts? This video seems reasonably up to date although I haven't seen the whole thing: Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build - YouTube

Your case is pretty common, so I'd also look at reviews or other builds that use the same case to get ideas on how to keep everything looking neat (for both appearance and airflow).
Old June 2, 2012, 07:16 PM
Allstar

If you have never built a pc before I would stress one thing... Static... Just be careful of that and any other mistake can usually be undone.
Old June 2, 2012, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The thing I would watch out for the most on a first build would have to be to watch the mount points for the Mobo..
Not so much an issue these days but if you have one on the tray where it's not supposed to be you can short the board.

Easy to check though.. there should be 9 points to mount an atx board. Make sure there are only 9 on the tray(the case) and that they all line-up with the screw holes in the board.

Seen a few go pop that way..

For static.. just touch a radiator or something before you start.. and work at a bench-table-desk-hard surface.. not on a bed or carpet etc..

For video.. the one above should be fine... google is your friend if you need more.. also youtube should have loads of how-to vids..

Tags
3d animation , 3ds max , firepro , maya , workstation