Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Gaming PC On A Budget! *$1000* (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/54238-gaming-pc-budget-1000-a.html)

JoeOnePack May 13, 2012 08:24 PM

Gaming PC On A Budget! *$1000*

Hey everyone,

This is my first post and first thread. I want to say that I just got back into pc's and gaming about two days ago. It's been a long time since I have been this giddy about returning to a hobby.

My last gaming PC many years ago was a Intel P4 3.06Ghz build in a Koolance Watercooled Case. It was my baby and I loved it to death.

It is now time to build a new pc. I have done alot of research and am confident in what I am looking for. I want a budget gaming rig for the next 6 months or so until funds permit to go all out. :D

This is what I am thinking so far.

Case: Corsair 600T White Canada Computers | Cases | Corsair Graphite Series 600T Special Edition WHITE Mid-Tower Gaming Case ATX Case (CC600TWM-WHT)

CPU: Intel I5 2500k Canada Computers | CPU | Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.30Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, 32nm (Retail Boxed) (BX80623I52500K)

VGA: Radeon 6950 2GB ($200 on kijiji)

Motherboard: ???

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB Canada Computers | Memory | Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz CL9 DIMMs (CMZ8GX3M2X2133C9R) (What happened to $45 special?)

PSU: Corsair TX850M Canada Computers | Power Supplies | Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX850M 80PLUS Bronze Certified 850W PSU (CP-9020004-NA)

HD: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD Canada Computers | Solid State Drives | Corsair Force Series 3 GT 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (SSD), Read: 555MB/s, Write: 515MB/s, includes 2.5" to 3.5" bracket (CSSD-F120GBGT-BK)

My only confusion is on a motherboard. I find all the numbers confusing as hell and I am unsure what the difference in chipsets are.

All of these options are open to change if you believe there is a better choice or where I could save some money.

I will be watching kijiji.ca the next couple weeks to see if I can snag some deals for CPU's RAM and VGA's. Who likes to pay retail prices on top of taxes right? :D

I appreciate all of your time.

Kyle

Ed103194 May 13, 2012 08:33 PM

try to pick up a 560ti or 570 instead of the 6950, because those cards have good oc headroom,better driver support,etc

BigPhatPaulie May 13, 2012 08:36 PM

I would second that (however if you get a good deal on a used 6950 thats from a good vendor then go for it) and as for the mobo's you can go with z68 or z77 (chipset numbers). Really the only difference between the 2 for a 2500k is z77 will have built in USB3.0 instead of using a third party chip. Otherwise z68 should be just fine and probably cheaper

Dzzope May 13, 2012 08:37 PM

Depending on the resolution your going to be playing at (1080 being the most popular as the monitors are VERY cheap) then if you bumped the GPU to a 670 then you will have a very high end machine now..
The 6950 would be the minimum I would get to run good graphic details at 1920x1080. (or Nvidia 560ti)

For a 2500k get a z68 board.. If your not into pushing the limits of an over-clock then a Ivy chip will be cooler and less power usage for about the same performance(very very slightly better, un-noticeable)..
It overclocks very very well but when you pass a certain voltage the heat sky-rockets,
Go Ivy if you want a reasonable stable 24/7 oc.. Sandy (2500k) if you want to push it a bit farther..

If you change to the Ivy chip (3570k) then get a z77 mobo.

no HDD?
SSD will be very far boot and load times But little else and you have very limited room for more games.

Overclocking.ca May 13, 2012 08:38 PM

I would make a couple of changes.

I would change the Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD with the Crucial (CT128M4SSD2) 128GB SSD - $129.99

This RAM would save you some money Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMMs - $54.99

If you plan on overclocking you will want to get a better than stock HSF. I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $36.00

Regarding a motherboard, there are many choices. I have always been a fan of Asus or Gigabyte. Do you plan on running Crossfire or just single card?

JoeOnePack May 13, 2012 09:16 PM

Thank you for the advice so far guys!! This site is awesome!!

I was looking at this motherboard just now: ASUS P8Z68-V LX

I am unsure if I will be using crossfire or SLI (depending on VGA), but I read the mobo above does not support SLI and runs crossfire and a lower standard than on other mobo's?

I don't need a dedicated USB 3.0 so I guess a Z68 would be sufficient.

Why the crucial SSD over the Corsair?

Keep it coming guys!!!

Perineum May 13, 2012 09:24 PM

Some will disagree with me, but make that 8gb of RAM turn into 16. RAM is cheap.

When I built my current machine I went with 8GB as RAM was cheap. Fast forward a couple of years and people were upgrading from 4 to 8 and were paying double or triple what I was.

Dzzope May 13, 2012 09:27 PM

I'll be the first to disagree... for a gaming rig, 8GB is PLENTY.. it's dead money until you need more.

JoeOnePack May 13, 2012 09:37 PM

Any faults against the ASUS P8Z68-V LX motherboard?

If I were to go with an Nvidia VGA, what would you recommend? What is the equivalent to a 6950 or greater?

miggs78 May 13, 2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzzope (Post 629333)
I'll be the first to disagree... for a gaming rig, 8GB is PLENTY.. it's dead money until you need more.

While I agree with Perineum that RAM is cheap, +1 for 8GB.. Imo in reality you don't ever use 16GB, so I would really use that extra bit of money else where...

Also that RAM, is fast, though is expensive.. Even something like Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB 1600MHz should be enough juice for average overclocking and plenty for gaming, that will only cost you around $50-55ish, maybe even as less as $40-45ish if you PM...

SSD - Crucial M4 128GB, good drive, and I think is the cheapest (could be wrong), but the price:performance ratio is great, even the Mushkin Chronos, I think NCIX recently had it on sale $100 (instant discount, no mail in rebate crap)

Case - While the 600T is an awesome case, you could save even more money and go with something like the Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced version, still one of the top mid towers around

Yea.. almost forgot, PSU - 650-750W should be plenty for a single card config, you can find for around $75-90, so again savings there

That leaves you to get a quality Z77 chipset board.. !! Again those are my personal opinions, I'm though almost in the same boat as you for a build around the same budget..

You could do is buy a z68 board for much less, and use the extra funds to buy a GTX670 card, beast of a card really.. :thumb:

edit: To your question, I was looking at the LX version today, seems like it doesn't have 6 channel audio, and other features, so not sure if I would take that much of a price cut to get that board.. In comparison, a gigabyte ga-z77m-d3h is a nice board, I really don't understand why Asus has their boards priced higher than the other manufacturers..