Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2012, 06:19 AM
Rookie

Red face Graphics Card & Buying RAM?

Hello :D!
So I'm thinking about buying a new graphics card and some RAM for my Dell Inspiron 530 & I need a little help.
So, I have come across this: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
That is what I think is RAM? I actually have no idea that is why I am posting here, I don't want to buy something I don't know what is for. So.. Is that ram? I know how to install it onto my motherboard already I just don't know what to buy.

And about my graphics card, I'm looking at this: VTX3D 2GB Radeon HD 5450 DDR3 PCI-E 2.1 Graphics Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Will this actually work? I know that I have a PCI-Express x16 slot if that is any help?
I'm not sure what slot that card takes though?

If this will help my computer at all, I'm buying 2 more fans for my computer to keep it cool and less chance of overheating?

Would be nice for some positive feedback from this, I've been looking for days and I would like to buy this as soon as possible! :D

Old May 13, 2012, 06:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

To answer your first question, yes that is ram. It is actually a very good ram kit. I am not familiar with your particular computer but the thing to be aware of is the wattage of your power supply to make sure it can handle the components you want to add. Then the good folks here can give you proper answers on what will work and what won't. Welcome to Hardware Canucks.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:52 AM
Rookie

Thanks, I'm pretty sure its 250 watts.. I guess I could have enough money to upgrade that within a month..
Old May 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
Rookie

Just had a quick look around, it needs a 350 Watt power supply :\
Is this easy to upgrade & will it cost a lot?
Old May 13, 2012, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A quick look online tells me that you have an older C2D processor with DDR2 ram. The ram you are looking at is not compatible with your system. I suggest you download something like this to help identify exactly what you have inside your computer.

Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

What are you trying to achieve with upgrading? I suggest that your system is probably too old to properly upgrade and you may be looking at a total system upgrade. Having said that, if you want to keep your system a little longer, I would upgrade your psu & find a moderately powerful discrete video card.

More information is needed.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:21 AM
Rookie

Man this stuff is so confusing and frustrating!
I can't use certain programmes on my computer because a while back I was playing some Portal and my screen flashed blue, then ever since that happened nothing has been working.
The resolution is so bad, everything is huge and when I go to play a game like Minecraft its telling me to upgrade my graphics card.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHuw View Post
Man this stuff is so confusing and frustrating!
I can't use certain programmes on my computer because a while back I was playing some Portal and my screen flashed blue, then ever since that happened nothing has been working.
The resolution is so bad, everything is huge and when I go to play a game like Minecraft its telling me to upgrade my graphics card.
Welcome to computers.

I am sure many members here have been in your shoes and started upgrading because their prebuilt systems just didn't cut the mustard anymore.

Start looking at sites to familiarize yourself with the equipment out there and ask lots of questions, it does get easier. Once you know what you have you can come up with a plan and a budget.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Sounds like its time for you to graduate form the generic/pos DELL to something more customized.

it also sounds like this going to a lesson in DYI,
try starting with completely deconstructing and rebuilding what you have to get feel for it.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:47 AM
Rookie

I really don't have the time or the money at the moment to be buying a bunch of new parts for my computer, or simply buying a whole new computer, I mean, I am only 16 and jobless..
I'm going to go onto my computer and have a look at that website you mentioned, I wouldn't mind buying the same graphics card I already had before it broke, I liked it and it worked perfectly for what I wanted. I just have no idea what one it is!
Am I still able to buy that RAM and use that on my computer? Or will that not work either? -_-
Old May 13, 2012, 07:58 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

One other point is when your macho e flashed a blue screen that was most likely a BSOD, or blue screen of death. What that means is your machine crashed, it happens to all machines, oc, nix, Mac, they all have their special moments. Sounds like when it happened you video card driver got messed up, hence everything is huge. If you go to dells site and pump in your express service code (sticker on the back, large print), select your operating system and download the video card driver (install it and increase your resolution) you may get a bit more usable system again.

All that being said, the guys and gals here gave solid advice. When ready to upgrade do some research into new processors, main boards, psu's etc and work towards building a better system than you could get from dell (my opinion). Folks here will help you choose the right gear and give you all the advice you need, it's a very rewarding process and you will learn a ton along the way.