Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2012, 08:07 AM
Rookie

Thanks alot, but where am I putting in this code?
I can't find anything on their website?
Old May 13, 2012, 08:22 AM
Rookie

Is this service number on the back of my graphics card or my computer?
I'm a bit confused!
Old May 13, 2012, 08:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It should be on the computer's exterior somewhere. Likely on one of the side panels. When you find it got to Dell's support page and you should find the options there. Just follow the prompts. Welcome to Dell Support
Old May 13, 2012, 09:26 AM
Rookie

Yep, I found it on the back of the computer!
I've downloaded the files it told me too, they didn't do a thing?
I'm thinking about maybe buying the exact same graphics card, but obviously one that works?:)
Old May 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

DO NOT upgrade that computer, it is basically like burning money just nothing good can come from it, grab a summer job when school is out and start saving, any money put into a pre built machine that old is purely a waste. You can probably find a second hand machine on the forum here that will cost less then a new power supply,RAM, and graphics card.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:48 AM
Rookie

Hmm, I will look into it, and I'm on study leave now for my exams, got about 3 weeks of school left and I'm applying for a job tomorrow :D
But, wouldn't it be also be easy to buy the same graphics card I already have?
Its not going to be expensive because it is an old one?

But just a general question about RAM; does a computer have to have certain things about it to accept a certain amount of RAM, or can I just go ahead and buy RAM and stick it in?:)
Old May 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHuw View Post
Hmm, I will look into it, and I'm on study leave now for my exams, got about 3 weeks of school left and I'm applying for a job tomorrow :D

But just a general question about RAM; does a computer have to have certain things about it to accept a certain amount of RAM, or can I just go ahead and buy RAM and stick it in?:)
My honest opinion, if you are asking the questions you are on here, you should pay someone to build you a custom PC to suit your needs/budget.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
Rookie

Hmm, I'll save money before anything :\
Old May 13, 2012, 02:59 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHuw View Post

No, on dells site it will list the type of ram your machine uses, it will be something like DDR or DDR2 with a speed. If you download the manual for your machine(same site you got the drivers from) it will say in there. You also need to check to make sure you have room in your box for additional memory.

Point two, you did good and extracted the files, now you have to install them. Go to wherever you extracted them to and look for a file called setup, install, or something similar, run it, reboot and see if you get your graphics back.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
My honest opinion, if you are asking the questions you are on here, you should pay someone to build you a custom PC to suit your needs/budget.

^^
This. FYI, you should not be charged more than a $100 labor at a PC shop to build a new computer for you (and it better include a solid warranty for that price).
That being said, make friends with someone you know (school?) who is Hardware literate. They would charge you less and you could be actively involved in the build (good learning opportunity).