Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2012, 12:35 PM
Rookie

Default Memory Express Gaming / Photo Editor

I'm building a new rig. I use Memory Express, since they are local and I've had good service. I don't mind paying $40 to have it put together for me, and buying a system rather than parts makes it easier to expense as a business expense.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming. StarCraft II, WoW, SW:TOR, Diablo 3.
Photo editing using Lightroom, of large 16mp RAW files.
I am considering streaming my gameplay, I'd like to be able to stream SC2 and WoW at 720p.
I would like a quiet PC. Doesn't have to be silent, but quiet is a goal.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$1200 - $1500, price needs to include a copy of Windows and assembly.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada, Memory Express exclusively.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference.

Clearly Intel for the CPU. For GPU, I am in favor of a newest generation part because they are coolest and quietest.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have all the peripherals I need. Just need the box for this build. Need a retail copy of Windows.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Other threads tend to be dominated by NewEgg or NCIX info. I'm specifically looking to buy from MemEx. I also would like quiet operation, and I'm trying to make the best choices from MemEx's somewhat more limited selection.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

I will be overclocking the CPU, probably not the GPU. I currently have a Q9450 running at 3.2ghz (2.66 stock) so I have some experience doing this. I have selected an Asus board that I believe is overclock friendly. I hope to overclock the CPU but for it to remain quiet; for the new Ivy Bridge chips my hope is to hit something like 4.4ghz.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

Now.

9. What resolution and settings do you use?

1080p, needs at least 4X AA. I believe the GTX 670 is overkill but I don't want to wait longer for a 660/660ti. I prefer to max everything. I don't care about multi-monitor.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?

I'd like a quiet (not silent) machine.

I have a Crucial M4 256GB SSD that I will put into the machine. I'm buying an SSD with this new build to swap into the old machine.

Proposed build:

Intel Core™ i5-3570K Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 6MB Cache x1 $249.99
Corsair Hydro H60 High Performance CPU Cooler x1 $59.99
Asus P8Z77-V-LX w/ Dual DDR3, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, CrossFireX x1 $154.99
Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) x1 $49.99
eVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort x1 $399.99

NZXT H2 Classic Case, Black x1 $99.99
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III 500W Power Supply x1 $72.99

OCZ Agility 3 Series SATA III Solid State Drive, 60GB x1 $64.99
Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12 SATA II w/ 32MB Cache x1 $89.99
Asus DRW-24B1ST 24x DVD-RW Drive, SATA, Black, OEM x1 $24.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (64-bit) SP1 DVD - OEM x1 $119.99
Memory Express Assemble Hardware x1 $40.00
2 Year IPR System Replacement Plan $125.99

Total: $1553

Questions:

Should I spend the extra $100 on a 3770k?
Is the H60 an okay quiet cooler to clock the 3570k to 4.4ghz? Should I consider an air cooler?
Should I consider the Asus P8Z77-V motherboard instead of the LE, since it comes with FanXpert and more control over the various fans?
Is the power supply okay? Is there a cheaper option that's quiet?
The GTX 670 seems to do great in the games I want to play, but is there an AMD alternative I should consider?

I'm aware that some of the parts are backordered, I don't need the thing overnight and am happy to place an order and wait a few weeks for it to complete. My budget is flexible but somewhere around the $1500 mark feels right.
Old May 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
MVP

Memory Express has a great price match system, you should make use of it. For instance Windows 7 can be found for $94.99 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT SP1 DVD OEM - Microsoft - GFC-02050 so pricematching will put it down to $88.74, you'll save $30 just there. I'd take that and throw it into an H80.

Another good buy possibly pricematch this Antec modular HCG 620 Antec High Current Gamer 620W Modular Power Supply at Memory Express with Antec HCG-620M 620W ATX12V Modular SINGLE-RAIL 48A 80PLUS Bronze 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply - Antec - HCG-620M - not sure how that will go over as its in store only but it will come out to a song ... $45

You can probably knock a few more bucks off other parts, and upgrade other parts with the savings.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would make a few changes. I'm not sure about the PSU. A lot of people will recommend sticking with a few select brands which are known for outstanding performance. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic. That thing is the heart of your machine. I would also get a better motherboard if you want to overclock that is a low end model with no VRM heatsink. I'm running an MSI Z77A-GD65 and it is doing great. The one touch overclock features is really nice for a noob like me. And it is holding rock solid. IMO a much better value then ASUS and that is having moved to this from an ROG board. At least for my needs(single monitor, single card blizzard gamer). The only thing I would switch other then possibly the PSU would be the case, but that is all personal preference. I would also possibly reconsider the IPR. I never buy anything like that. Only if I was buying a $2-3000 tv or something that would be extremely hard to ship.

I also bought a 670 last night. I think if you buy it you will be happy. I felt the exact same way. may be a little overkill for my needs but its a nice shiny and it will hold up for some time. Plus it's much much much much quieter then my old 6970... and cooler.

add me up on SC2 you can find my battletag in the gaming section of the forums.

Last edited by Pabz0r545; May 11, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the hint about price matching, I'll definitely do that. Having checked a few prices Memory Express seems pretty decent, except when another retailer has some craaazy discount.

For the motherboard, I do want overclocking to be decent. How about if I step up to the Asus P8Z77-V? I kind of want to stick with the Asus brand - they support a lot of StarCraft II tournaments ;-)
Old May 11, 2012, 04:01 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I honestly don't think you can beat nVidia at this point in time. Just stick with the 670. Try and price match every single item if you can. Use a website like "www.shopbot.ca" to find where to get the cheapest price of an item. And then use the information to help you price match.

Edit: Maybe build it yourself and save 40 bucks? :P
Old May 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Overclock the 670.. basically it will throttle itself if it starts drawing too much power.. Custom cooled one if possible too.. (check the oc section of the 670 review)

Other than that and the PSU suggestion above you look pretty good
Possibly worth doubling up on the ram with working with raw images.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ditto on the psu and if you can get another 8gb of ram cant hurt and its cheap right
Old May 11, 2012, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPhatPaulie View Post
Ditto on the psu and if you can get another 8gb of ram cant hurt and its cheap right
Not that it's cheap and can't hurt.. but with editing of large raws, depending on how many he will have open at 1 time and the effects etc he uses (and what else he uses in the background) then 8 GB might be a lil tight..

Usually I tell people not to bother with 16 GB as they will never use it.. but in this case he might.
Old May 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well yea fair enough i was thinking that too for his application
Old May 11, 2012, 05:52 PM
Allstar

Hmm I think at least 600W on the PSU to be on the safe side and ditch OCZ.