Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2012, 11:26 AM
Top Prospect

Default Should I upgrade?

Hello, hoping to get a little advice from the experts to have a look at my current build to see what the best options for possible upgrades would be at this point in time. I like to try and upgrade my system every year or so as new tech hits the market and there's a lot of new shinies out right now. I want to see if it's worth upgrading now or should I wait, maybe identifying some weak points in my build etc. The system runs everything fine, normally between 45-60 FPS at max settings and additional options forced via nvidiainspector. However, the noise/heat of the GPUs can be annoying at times. I'm also considering purchasing a 27" Samsung syncmaster to increase the resolution from the current 1920x1200 and want to make sure I can keep the same FPS if possible.

Current build:

Case: Coolermaster HAF X
Mobo: Asus Rampage Extreme III
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.8 ghz
GPU: EVGA GTX 480 SLI
RAM: Corsair XMS3 Dominator 6 GB
PSU: Corsair HX1000W
HD 1: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB
HD 2: Crucial M4 64GB
Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60
Monitor: BenQ V2400W

I figure if there are upgrades to be made, I could sell some of the parts from this build to add some funds, not really sure how much but I figure maybe $200 for the GPUs, $100 for chip and maybe $150 for Mobo. No idea.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Your CPU/Mobo/RAM is still very capable of performing. I can understand upgrading your GPU's, but the only way you will see a big jump is if you go SLI again; a single 680 will probably perform on par with your SLI set-up.

So, in my opinion, the only thing I see you need upgrading is the video cards.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:49 AM
Top Prospect

Thumbs up

Thanks for the fast reply! What you say makes a lot of sense. I read up on a few comparisons on 480 SLI vs 680 and they seemed equal. I'd reduce heat and noise for sure, buy not sure if that's worth much to pull out two well performing cards.

Would more RAM do anything or fairly useless? I keep hearing more than 4GB is pointless due to games not being 64 bit or utilizing more than 4GB currently. Would you recommend trying to push the OC on the CPU? Idle temp hovers around 25 and load 45-50 currently. I don't want to punish it too much but every bit helps.

Do you think this system would be well suited to the potential resolution bump from 1920x1200 to
2560x1440. I remember going from 1680x1050 to the current resolution and the image quality blew me away. I'm hoping for the same effect by upgrading monitor but not sure what to expect.

Thanks for taking the time to assist
Old May 9, 2012, 12:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

6GB of RAM is enough in my opinion. There is never any real need to go over 6-8GB (I have 8GB in my computer), unless there is a purpose, such as intense editing or virtualization.

Push the CPU up ONLY IF YOU NEED TO (!!!!). As I said earlier, it is still a good performer, even at stock speeds.

As for the resolution bump, I am unsure if it will handle games at max settings. I say try it out for yourself, and see if it meets your standards
Old May 9, 2012, 02:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you muti-monitor you may see a decrease in FPS for sure, but thats where the fun is. You really have a decent system as is. If I where you since you have an extra monitor I would set both up both the old and new so you can play and forum stalk at the same time etc...
Old May 9, 2012, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would say get the 27" pls and see if your happy with the performance.. if your not then a 680 will do little to help and you should consider SLI 670's or ... (drum roll) a 690... (gasp)

6 GB ram is fine.. If you use your machine like me (a fair amount of things open and lots of browser tabs and gaming), then 6 GB is enough..
Most I ever seem to use is 5 GB.. But it you find you use more.. try find a kit the same as you have to double up.

You could push the cpu a bit farther as your temps are pretty good.. But as said above.. a little more will show little benefit in games.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Bigger monitor, or custom liquid cooling loop :) my 480 is gonna get wet in the next few weeks, CPU already is 46C load with an i7 950.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:54 PM
Top Prospect

Alright some good advice on here. I think I'll go ahead and buy the 27" PLS to test how my system handles it. I'd love to SLI some 690s but I don't know if these things will be in stock any time soon.

I guess my last question which should probably be in the display section but...what is the best possible monitor I could get provided it has high resolution and is also great for gaming? Would that 27" be good for that? Could I go even higher for 30" or would that be pointless since they're not really meant for gaming?
Old May 9, 2012, 06:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

A single 680 is a hell of alot of power untill you start running some insane reso. Hell my 7870 can do bf3 98% maxed out at 1920x1080 with a phenom II 955 at 4.3Ghz and im getting in the mid 70s to high off 105, am sure a 680 would be that much better. 6gb, is that 3x2 or 2x3 as in is it running dual or tri channel. the core i7 930 have been able to do 4.0Ghz+ with a good setup and are far from slouches, but having in tri channel can also make a performance difference.

Do yourself and the world a favor, get rid of SLI. Unless you like bragging, a single high end card can easily power anything you throw it at untill you talk stupid settings/reso. Save your pocket book, the environment, and headaches this way as well :)

far as monitors, pixel pitch, contrast, lag, brighness, viewing angle etc, this all makes a difference. Generally 24.5-27 for the 1920x1080/1200 in the 27in+ you are starting to get into the 2560 type resos mainly due to the viewing angles, crap not being to small and such.
120Hz and 1080p/1200p and such is advised(to get most of your card/s) and 24.5+ screen size. You can get some great monitors in this range like most of the ASUS monitors as an example.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For monitor, The bigger and higher res you go the better things will look.. That said it's not necessarily the best for gaming..

If possible I'd try before I buy.. Though if I had the cash to spend on it I'd be getting the 27" PLS from samsung.. 30" seems just a tad too much (and cost too)

@Dragonstongue..

Ram doesn't come in 3 GB sticks.. It'll be 3x2GB.. Also tri-channel makes very very little difference.

I agree a single 680 should be plenty for even the PLS, then again the 2 480's should be plenty too..
If you can, try the monitors before you buy (side-by-side) But obviously this is hard to do..

Last edited by Dzzope; May 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM.