Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2012, 02:22 PM
Top Prospect

Default WHS 2011 or W7 Box

Having a hell of a time deciding which hardware and OS to go with for my families streaming needs.(mostly .mkv's)
I got a amd x4 9150e(1.8ghz quad) and Asrock N61P-S motherboard currently as my server and recently picked up a x3 720BE and a gigabyte 790gx board to replace the above system. But after a bunch of reading, I don't think I need that kinda power to run a server that is basically just serving movies to various media devices and torrenting.
SO
here are my questions
1. What am I really looking at (as in processor power) to re encode on the fly and stream movies (via ps3 mediaserver software) to pc's and other media players in the house.
2. Am I better off just using a version of Windows 7 rather then WHS 2011? I got WHS 2011 because I bought a windows phone(HD7) to try the whole connected house thing.I only torrent and serve movies and do the odd backup.
3. OR is there a better solution out there for streaming/torrenting that is easy to use and maintain? Or is there better software for streaming then ps3 media server? I tried Tversity...it worked...but my wife can get the ps3 media server working if it fails...not Tversity.

Everything is wired with cat5e or cat6 in the newer rooms. There is a gigabit switch also. So I should be decent in that department.
Sorry for the all over the place post, just want some user input and or advice on where to go with this build.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

- I think a lower end 2100 series cpu is fine. Not sure how that stacks to your cpus.
- I personally prefer just using win 7 for a server. Since whs 2011 doesnt have drive extender anymore. Nut since you already have it try it out.
- I use serviio for all of my streaming needs.
- I dont use any torrent programs. I am strictly using usenet with sabnzbd and sickbeard/couchpotato.