Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawaMayn View Post
I disagree.

Nvidia does not have the best driver support.
While your free to disagree and have your own personal opinion.. I've found through my own experiences and those of others(here and elsewhere):

That I have never had a problem in any single game with nvidia.. (not to say that EVERY driver they have ever released has been perfect)
With my last radion I had artifacting in many games.. had to roll back drivers about every second release.. I've only ever rolled back 1 nvidia driver.
also AA runs like a dog on them compared to an equivalent nvidia..

Price - performance of AMD vs nvidia is no where near where it used to be (and the new 6xx cards beat AMD hands down at every level.. Price, performance, heat, power, noise..)

AMD are so slow with the profiles for x-fire that it's months before new titles are added..
Check out the comments from the 690 review on some of the AMD problems...

Nvidia release better drivers than AMD.. In my opinion..

Last edited by Dzzope; May 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:42 AM
Rookie

i will do further research, im just getting back into the desktop scene after 4 years of absence...uni :(

But if i ever see another laptop with that crappy OPTIMUS technology nvidia hails as the cutting edge...well

yes i raged. lol.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Can be a pain in the ass, but you can turn it off?

Should be able to unless there is something built into the laptop to stop you from turning it off

Not VERY familiar with gamin on laptops.. only use mine for work..
Old May 7, 2012, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Back on topic. If you can afford it, and you want a good processor that will last for years, get an i5. Either the 2500k (which will be cheaper up front, but consume more power over the long term) or the 3570k (which will be a little more expensive, but consume less power).

Under no circumstance would I recommend getting any AMD Bulldozer chip. The price/performance is just not worth it. If anything, you're better off getting the Phenom II 965, just because they're dirt cheap now, and will still play every single game currently on the market.

But only do that if you can't afford the Intel chip. Best bet and bang/buck is still the i5.

As far as video cards are concerned, I can't really recommend the GTX550Ti. It would be fine as long as you're okay playing at lower resolutions and settings, but as soon as you try to go up to even 1920x1200 and the highest settings, the card will start to fall behind. You're probably better off getting a 7850 or even a 6870 if you can find one. Sure, it's a bit more money, but those cards should handle any game that you throw at it at 1920x1200.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; May 8, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 08:32 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have just went thru my own build in the last couple months so I will share my thoughts with you. It was my first pc gaming rig build and I went with the I5 2500k (which is so easy to overclock it's silly) a radeon 6870, and a cheap asrock extreme 3 gen 3 board and couldn't be happier. Everything turned out great, the 6870 is a fantastic card for the price and the 2500k is just a beast of a processor. On that note though, I have just went completely nuts and put a 680gtx in the computer and took the 6870 out to sell. I say without hesitation go with a 2500k processor (get the k version so you can overclock it) and get the best graphics card you can afford. The better you get, the longer it's gonna last before an upgrade is needed. I have a ridiculous problem when I always want the newest/fastest thing out. With that said the 680 wasn't out when I built my computer in Feb, but the 580 was and thought it was just too much money. And now I have a 680 so go figure But the 6870 is an outstanding card in the $150 range now and it will play almost everything out now, on just below max settings. The real bug hits you though when you just have to see what BF3, or Arkham city, or whatever game you're playing looks like on Ultra and the lesser price cards just can't quite run those games on max settings. So then you wish you would've bought the monster card. In the end you can always sell your old card 6months down the line if you decide you need more because there's always a bigger badder card coming out. And don't forget some stores you can get 0% financing if you want to go real crazy on the build for a year Good luck and have fun