Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2012, 09:14 AM
Trial Member

Default Build to power up a Sonos sound system

Hello everyone!

First all all my name is David and I'm so glad I found these forums because I'm in dire need of help. After a few years of toying with macs, I'm looking for a new PC. My first idea was to get a Shuttle XPC barebones kit but I got a bit worried about building my first PC. I have basic knowledge about PC hardware, I know where every parts goes and how to hook everything up but I have almost ZERO knowledge regarding the BIOS and thinkering with its configuration besides the most basic things (boot priority and that sort of thing). Because of that I started looking for an assembled kit. After an email to ncix.ca, they suggested the following build :

CPU : AMD A6-3650 APU W/ AMD Radeon 65XX HD GFX Quad Core Processor Socket FM1 2.6GHZ 4MB
CPU Heatsink : Please Use The Heatsink Included With My CPU
Motherboard : Gigabyte A75M-D2H mATX AMD FM1 A75 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI DDR3 HDMI DVI SATA3 USB 3.0
Memory : Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit
Case : Antec Mini P180 mATX Tower Case White 3X5.25 1X3.5EXT 5X3.5INT Front USB eSATA Audio 1
Power Supplie : Seasonic SS-350ET 350W ATX12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 120MM Fan OEM
OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT SP1 DVD OEM
HD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - OEM
DVD Drive : ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black 1

TOTAL PRICE (Incl Taxes, shipping and 50$ assembly and test): $840,84

Considering...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
I'll mainly use this PC as a storage unit for all my music files so I can hook it up to the new Sonos sound system I just ordered. I'm looking for a rather fast HDD with at least 1TB of space. Other than that I'd like to be able to play some NES roms on my tv and surf the web.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
I almost pulled the trigger on the new Dell XPS 8500 desktop for $860 all included (taxes, shipping, everything) but I'm not too keen buying Dell so I guess I'm looking for something priced equal or lower than that but on the same level performance-wise.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
No brand preference.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-This includes re-using peripherals such as a monitor, keyboard+mouse, speakers, your copy of an OS (i.e. windows retail version).

I'll be re-using an Acer AL1916W LCD monitor. Other than that I'll buy everything, keyboard and mouse included)

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
No overclocking.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
ASAP

9. What resolution and settings do you us
No gaming.

10. Are there any specific technologies you want?
USB 3.0, HDMI port (to hook it up to my TV) and I'm looking for the quietest system possible.

Will this build suit my needs and is it worth $850? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 6, 2012, 09:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Personally I would up the Powersupply to a 450 or 500W (same brand works) just to be future proof if the budget allows but that looks like a good setup to me