Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2012, 08:12 PM
Rookie

Default New System Build

Hey guys. I am looking into building a new system. I am upgrading from an AMD Phenom II 965 BE. What I am considering at the moment is the i7 2700k, i7 3770k, i7 3820 or even i7 3930k. What are your guys suggestions/opinions on what I should go with. Money really isin't an issue here. System will mainly be used for gaming and maybe some minor video editing.
Old April 30, 2012, 10:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Do you plan on overclocking? Do you plan on running more then 1, possibly 2 or 3 monitors? One would likely assume, that these variables would factor into choosing the right processor and motherboard.

Old April 30, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Gaming and minor video editing.. even the 2700k or 3770k would possibly be wasted..
Depends really on what you call minor.. for a gaming and multi-media system stick to the i5.. if you do lots of editing, encoding, rendering etc then go i7..

If you don't do video often.. or do not have some Big cuts and effects etc then the i5 will be solid choice.. I used to do some editing for college on a dual-core laptop (which was about 3 years old at the time) and it was "ok"

Save bucks on the chip and board, get a 680 and a nice 27" ips/pls monitor or 2

Really, A quick run down of the questions in the sticky is needed.. Budget, usage, current parts, resolution gonna be used etc etc..

And a list of what else too.. mostly you can read 1 of 100 posts here and figure out whats best for you.. or if you have an idea of what you'll get then we can poke and prod it so you can get the best for your needs/money..

But as said above, Gaming / multi-media build go for an i5.. it's an awesome chip and an i7 is only really if your an enthusiast / need the extra threads for rendering and the like.

Last edited by Dzzope; April 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old April 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
Rookie

Well I think I have decided to go with:

i7 3820
ASUS Sabertooth x79
16 gigs Kingston HyperX RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 120gig SSD
Western Digital 1TB
Seasonic Platinum 1000W
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition Case
XFX DD Black Edition HD7970 3gb
H100 for cooling

What do you guys think?
Old April 30, 2012, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

680>7970

and TBH as said above that chip is totally wasted unless your lookin to oc, bench, render loads etc etc..

But it's your money

Intel 520 is better than the OCZ, warrenty and speed (especially with the one-click and it's clean)

PSU is suitable for 2 3 cards and everything OC'd

What monitor you have / getting?
Old April 30, 2012, 12:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Build looks good, other then the 7970, why buy that when the 680 beats it at the same price point?, if you want a better SSD, mushkin chronos deluxe, or patriot pyro series.
Old April 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
Rookie

Ok, I can understand about wasting the money on this cpu when I am not be utilizing it to its potential. I do plan on overclocking it and I may be using it to do a bit of rendering so I am just thinking of what I may do with it. I decided I am going to go with the Intel 520 for my SSD. I guess I can wait for a 680 so I will probably go with the EVGA superclocked one. For now I will use my current 560ti. Monitor I just bought is Asus VK278Q Black 27.
Old April 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice..

My point about the CPU still stands... the price difference isn't worth the ammount you'll use it..

The 2700k or the 2500k are perfectly capable of doing rendering.. they just aren't as fast at it as the big boy..

That said they are much much faster than anything that was available until recently

And you'll see no difference in pretty much anything else..

But as I said before.. it's your money and your build..
Old May 1, 2012, 04:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

IMO
SB-E = workstation
I7 = Budget workstation (hardly budget but w/e)
I5 = Your perfect gaming/everything else processor which can handle rendering no problem.

3570k sounds like it would suit you just perfect. and pair it with a decently cooled z77 mobo (mid - high end asus) and you will be overclocking just fine, although if you seriously want to overclock get an NH-d14, the airflow around your mobo heatsinks is priceless.

Definately get a 680.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4ff1e View Post
IMO
SB-E = workstation
I7 = Budget workstation (hardly budget but w/e)
I5 = Your perfect gaming/everything else processor which can handle rendering no problem.
I agree but only if your talking about some kind of media production company or the like.

Most workstations I see for offices or even certain graphics designers don't have anything bigger than a mid range i5 or i7..

The bigger chips are reserved for the people who like to push boundaries or are doing large workloads and would be verging on getting a Xeon or 2.