Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 24, 2012, 01:37 AM
GT7R's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Our universe
Posts: 991

My System Specs

Default Upgrade to IB or wait for Haswell?

Gaming is the main use of this rig. Got a X9650 which sits nicely @4.0 GHZ, and a GTX580 which I'm looking forward to upgrade with (hopefully) the powerful Kepler which should come out soon. The question is - whether the 9650 will do the job for gaming @2560x1440 till Haswell comes out or will I be significantly bottlenecked?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 24, 2012, 01:51 AM
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 473
Default

The high rez definitely focuses the pressure on the GPU rather than the CPU, but I am certain that modern games under perform with dual cor processors no matter the res. Upgrade for me! As for Haswell, it's not up till 2nd Quarter 2013.

You should know most of all since you have the GTX 580.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 24, 2012, 01:55 AM
GT7R's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Our universe
Posts: 991

My System Specs

Default

The X9650 is a Quad core. The top 775 chip (apart from the X9770). ;)
About the 580 - It easily pulls 80 fps in BF3 (my primary game since it's release) @medium settings, which means that it's possible running the game @ultra settings with the same CPU provided the GPU will be able to handle it.

Last edited by GT7R; April 24, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 24, 2012, 05:03 AM
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 473
Default

Must have been something back then! So you're usin' a 120hz monitor? I see why you're tempted but if it was me I'd upgrade the older part, meaning I'd keep the GTX 580 :)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 24, 2012, 05:21 AM
GT7R's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Our universe
Posts: 991

My System Specs

Default

Nope, I use Dell's U2711. I'm leaning to replace the GPU rather than the CPU because currently I'm maxing out the 580 rather than the 9650. But... yeah maybe I'll need to upgrade the whole system together. Wanna wait for Haswell but oh boy is it going to be hard!! In case I'll break me thinks it'll be for an i7-3820...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 24, 2012, 06:47 AM
Apathetik's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tobin Lake, SK
Posts: 302

My System Specs

Default

Too long of a wait man. Live for the moment.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 24, 2012, 07:19 AM
GT7R's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Our universe
Posts: 991

My System Specs

Default

True. Gonna get a 3820 but will have to save a bit for the expensive X79 mobo tho... And hopefully IB-E will be more of a step forward than IB compared to SB.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 24, 2012, 07:31 AM
Apathetik's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tobin Lake, SK
Posts: 302

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
hopefully IB-E will be more of a step forward than IB compared to SB.
Yeah lets hope!
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
SugarJ's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 6,040

My System Specs

Default

Why go SB-E if you're not running a 6-core or multiple GPU's? Pick up a Z68 mobo and a 2500K. It'll be just as fast gaming and save you lots of money.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
GT7R's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Our universe
Posts: 991

My System Specs

Default

Because of the future upgrade option with IB-E. (which will hopefully be a significant upgrade)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossfire or wait and upgrade? FiveNines New Builds 3 March 29, 2011 05:43 PM
Upgrade or wait? Justin Cider Video Cards 8 March 8, 2011 11:31 AM
upgrade 5870 or wait ? JerryZ Video Cards 9 October 25, 2010 11:27 AM
Wait to upgrade? RBA Video Cards 18 March 17, 2010 08:44 AM
Upgrade now or wait for Nehalem? Infiniti Off Topic 9 October 16, 2008 09:30 PM