Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2012, 05:53 PM
Rookie

Default Mini itx or micro atx build

I'm contemplating whether or not to build a mini itx or micro atx system for work (programming) and general computing. I more than likely wont be doing any gaming on this machine so game performance really isnt to much of a concern. I was thinking of going with a Celeron cpu and maybe one of the new z77 boards but the price of the new boards is a little high. I definitely don't want to be bottle-necked by the chipset for any future upgrades (I'll probably buy some ivy bridge in a year or so off ebay). At most I want to spend $100 for the cpu and mobo (each). I have a BFG 8800 GTX if I need dedicated graphics (I hate the idea of using one in a mini itx case... if it could even fit lol). I was also thinking about AMDs offerings but I'm just not sure. Also it seems that mini itx motherboards all have varying ratings and lots of quality issues whereas micro atx boards look more mature. Any suggestions?
Old April 22, 2012, 06:17 PM
Allstar

What kind of programming do you do? If it involve any of sort of compiler, Celeron is not the route to go. If you do strict HTML/CSS/PHP then you can probably get away with it. If $200 total for CPU and board is pretty hard unless you try getting either or both used. I recall someone selling an AMD FM1 chip for $50 in BST section.
Old April 23, 2012, 12:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

might look at these threads and see if that helps ya.

Mini-ITX board choices

Complete my Mini-ITX, 300 watt power supply build?

Micro Sized ITX HTPC Build
Old April 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

FM1 chipset and AMD APU would be a winning combination, on micro atx tower, if you still want to use that old GTS
Old April 27, 2012, 11:46 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the input. I've decided to go matx and wait for the trinity chips. I already have a case so although I really like mini itx it would require me to buy a new one and not to mention that mini itx has been looking poor from amd's side thus far.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:03 PM
Rookie

Well I'm still thinking about this build. I've been contemplating whether I should even bother waiting for trinity since I wonít likely ever be playing games on this machine. All I care about is windows performing well and the occasional youtube video. As it stands and in all likelihood amd wonít match the cpu performance of ivy bridge with trinity.

On the other hand I like the idea of potentially not needing to upgrade my motherboard for some time with FM2. Does anyone know if FM2 will have a longer lifespan (similar to AM3)? I'd rather invest in an FM2 board with lesser cpu performance now and then just drop in a newer cpu once I feel itís time to upgrade. Correct me if I'm wrong but Intel is pretty much done with 1155 now? Is there some limiting factor with integrating the apu that requires a new socket frequently or is it feasible that FM2 will last a little while longer than whatever Intel comes up with?
Old May 5, 2012, 07:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ivybridge will be the last LGA1155 cpus. I don't know what the lifespan of FM2 will be, but given AMD's track record it might outlast the LGA1155 socket.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:56 AM
Allstar

Well if you're going the AM3+ route, there aren't any ITX boards that I'm aware of. Just because AMD say AM3 works with Bulldozer with BIOS update, doesn't mean it works properly. My Asus Formula IV could run Bulldozer but some of the features can't be used unless I switch to an AM3+ board (which I also have). So there is a chance that FM2 will work with future CPU but at a reduced capacity. As for Intel, it seem their socket only last 1 Tick-Tock cycle at most. Then again, Socket 775 have 2 types with one that supported the P4 and the newer one supporting CD/C2D/C2Q. If your upgrade cycle is a few years long, then don't worry about the socket too much. There's always the BST section to pick up a used CPU when you want incremental upgrade within the same linage.