Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2012, 08:56 AM
Rookie

Question BUDGET Gaming/Rendering Build

Hey guys! Jext from England here.
I'm thinking of upgrading my trashy Packard Bell to a new PC, for gaming and rendering videos. I would only like to spend up to 400 right now, but that does NOT include a graphics card. I already have a card which I will upgrade at some stage. (FYI Its a Sapphire Radeon HD5570 with 1GB RAM). I have a Google Doc set up with the parts I have selected so far.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc5ZDVYUF9WS0E
Please could you see if:
a) I know what I'm doing.
b) I'm not getting ripped off.
c) I'm getting some OK parts that work together well.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old April 21, 2012, 08:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Never heard of the PSU, it is the same brand as the case though do they come together? it looks pretty good if 400 euros is your budget and the PSU is good but again the PSU is the most important part of your computer and you should not skimp on it.

Edit: if that green drive is going to be your OS drive it will be pretty slow, I recommend getting different stuff.
Old April 21, 2012, 09:05 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the tip. The PSU is a sorta unbranded one from the website that I buy most PC stuff from, but although its not a known brand, I have heard some positive reviews of it from friends who have had similar experiences.
What sort of alternative Hard drive do you recommend? I really dont want to splash out on an SSD until they come within my price range.
Old April 21, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jext View Post
Thanks for the tip. The PSU is a sorta unbranded one from the website that I buy most PC stuff from, but although its not a known brand, I have heard some positive reviews of it from friends who have had similar experiences.
What sort of alternative Hard drive do you recommend? I really dont want to splash out on an SSD until they come within my price range.
For HDD get a 500gb wd caviar black for even a 500gb WD caviar blue. For PSU i strongly recommend going with XFX, Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, or seasonic. NZXT Hale units are good too, and superflower is a good OEM.
Old April 21, 2012, 09:23 AM
Rookie

1.) I REALLY need a 2TB HDD. That's cheap. You would not believe how much I install onto my PC, and how many videos I get through
2.) Thanks for the advice, I will look into alternative PSUs now.
Old April 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well I recommend getting a smaller drive for your OS because with that drive it is going to take a while to load things and you wont get the repsonsiveness you are probably looking for from a new computer.
Old April 22, 2012, 03:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Second on the WD green..

get yourself a different 2 TB drive or a small faster drive as that thing is designed for storage not as an actively used drive.
Note, the WD blue would be of and the black is quite good but a tad more moolah..

Also worth taking a look at is ebuyer.com and overclockers.co.uk.. know people who use ebuyer and rate it.. I generally use OCUK.. they are pretty good but may not be the cheapest for everything but are there / there abouts.
Old April 22, 2012, 06:19 AM
Top Prospect

- ram looks good
- psu is not a good choice. typically the "house" brand is not one of quality. The psu is never a place to scrimp. I would get this as a minimum
Coolermaster GX 550W 80PLUS $50.99

other than that it looks fine. Id look at an after market cooler for that cpu though. They overclock well and the oem cooler just isnt up to that. Something like this would get the job done. Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler $29.99
i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz | GA-Z77X-UD3H | Gigabyte GTX 670 | 8gb Redline 1600mhz | CM 690 | Logitech G9x | Mushkin Cronos 120gb ssd | Benq 24" | CM Hyper 212+ | Seasonic 750w | X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser 350 | Razer blackwidow | Win 7 64-bit
Backup System:
AMD X2 7750 BE @ 3.0G | Asus M3A78-CM | 2x2gig 800mhz 4-4-4-12 | SB LIVE | Samsung 22" | Asus 9800gt | Antec NEO 620w | Logitech G5 | ThermalTake Matrix | Arctic Cooling Freezer 64

Tags
gaming , new pc , rendering