Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2012, 06:33 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
For the smallest possible:
Newegg.ca - LIAN LI PC-Q25B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case (this case screams NAS/file server - hot swap bays)
Newegg.ca - ASUS E35M1-I Fusion AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson M1 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

Just add your flavor of ram. Slightly more than 250 though, but still quite reasonable, considering the hot swap bays

Slightly larger, but cheaper:
Newegg.ca - ASUS E35M1-M PRO Fusion AMD E-350 APU (1.6GHz, Dual-Core) AMD Hudson M1 Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo (larger version of the above mobo, this one is mATX and has pcie/pci for sata controller cards, should you want them.
Fractal Design Define Mini mATX Computer Case - Fractal Design - FD-CA-DEF-MINI-BL (nice ultra silent case, lots of hard drive space)

It really comes down to you though to be honest. You can always just ignore our opinions and go with your own, because thats the one that matters.

So, i have been really looking into your suggestions and i really like option 2 as far as the motherboard/cpu goes.

The thing that is stopping me is that i am sort of a stats whore.

Am i going to experience any performance problems with the AMD E-350 over the A6?

Thanks
w0z
Old April 21, 2012, 10:32 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

For a file server? none at all.

My own fileserver is a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+. Super-weak SPARC processor onboard thats probably a quarter of the power of an AMD E-series APU and it still handles all my file sharing needs without a problem.

the real point is that an A-series APU is complete overkill for a fileserver and won't ever really be used to its potential and will probably be drawing 3x the power or more the whole time.