Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2012, 12:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default gtx680 opinions

Hi guys,

so I plan to get a gtx 680 sometime soon, and the question arises, wait for this:
EVGA | Products

or to just buy a 680, and then buy the aquacomputer block and backplate for the card (which imo looks damn nice).

The main issues are which one do you think will have better temps, and is it worth voiding the warranty on a card to have it just look a little bit cooler/perform better, rather than going the eVGA route, which will give me a warranty, and if it performs as well as the 580 hydro copper did, a very solid performing block.

thanks for your input
Old April 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have been reading a ton on WB reviews for 400 series and up nvidia, and this block is a performer once you replace the TIM, plus I think it is a very good looking block, and who doesn't like warranty?
Old April 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
I have been reading a ton on WB reviews for 400 series and up nvidia, and this block is a performer once you replace the TIM, plus I think it is a very good looking block, and who doesn't like warranty?
not 100% sure which block you are referring to, but I think your talking about the eVGA block because you mention the warranty. I have also done a lot of digging and it seems that the eVGA blocks are made by swiftech.
Old April 16, 2012, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Either way will be fine, but if you know you are going to watercool then I would say wait till you can get the EVGA or another brand that comes with the waterblock already installed. I am sure your current cards can hold you over until it becomes available.
Old April 16, 2012, 03:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

yea, I actually just sold one of my cards to a member of these forums , selling the second one to a friend as soon as he can afford it. The only other bonus that I see with the aquacomputer block is that it allows the use of a proper, good looking SLI bridge, in parallel.

so yea still undecided but will figure it out eventually. Hopefully I can get more peoples ideas here
Old April 16, 2012, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Take performance out of the equation and decide on your other main criteria. The performance will be close enough. Furthermore, depending on multiple variables, blocks perform differently across various loops. The warranty is a good reason to go with the EVGA, especially considering the current GTX 680's are all first revision cards. There could always be faulty parts that start failing down the road in an inordinate amount of cards.
Old April 20, 2012, 10:57 PM
Rookie

i do believe if you have a reference evga card, you can remove the stock heatsink and put on a block and they will still respect your warranty. please double check just to be 100% if you do decide to go that route. otherwise, the hydrocopper is a solid card. I have a gtx 580 hydrocopper 2 right now and i'll stick with it until atleast next generation.
Old April 21, 2012, 12:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

what the heck are MSI/Gigabyte/ASUS/etc waiting for... EVGA monopolizes this category.