Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
Trial Member

Default Help with i5-2500k build! Final ordering today!

I'm about to purchase the last couple of parts needed, but am looking for a few suggestions. The build is intended mainly for gaming, with hopes to play sc2 and other games in ultra settings. Eventually I would love to overclock, but will do so at a time when the wallet will allow for it. I don't plan on purchasing a monitor just yet, but was hoping to use my 37" Sharp HDTV until I work out something better, although I'm not sure what would be much better then a 37" HD 1080p TV as a monitor.

Currently I have:

i5-2500k
ASUS ROG Maximus IV Gen-3 Mobo
2TB WD Green Caviar HDD
Corsair XMS (4x4gb) 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz Ram (was on sale, I was undereducated. now probably just gonna use 8gb and upgrade later, as shipping it back for a refund makes the whole purchase a waste of time and money and the other 8gb can be used later for a budget amd build i'm thinking about, right?)

Currently Need Help Choosing ($450-$600 in mind (or best value for money):

Case: $120 or less. Was looking for something with nice ventilation for airflow, with option to expand cooling options into a better heatsink with more fans. Must have room for SLI gtx 560. The CM HAF 922 looked promising but a window would be nice.
PSU: $150 or less? Looking for something to cover the system at peak load, plus the inevitable expansion into SLI gtx 560's. Also hoping to get one that offers great efficiency and is proven for reliability. Not looking to learn any lessons the hard way here. I honestly am not 100% sure if I should be getting a 750W, 850W, or a 1000W here, let alone a descent model. 1000W seems like overkill even for SLI but I'm not an expert on that stuff, all I know is semi- or fully modular.

Currently on NCIX there's:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=53331&vpn=OCZ750FTY&manufacture=OCZ% 20Technology&promoid=1259
&
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=56789&vpn=HCG%2D750&manufacture=Ante c&promoid=1259
&
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=58382&vpn=CMPSU%2D750TXV2&manufactur e=Corsair&promoid=1259
But I'm a little more partial to the 850W idea.

GPU: $260 or less? With the 680 as a potential $500 wallet-crusher down the road, I was thinking that for now I would go with a basic gtx 560ti. That way, if down the road the 680 purchase gets pushed back I can SLI and squeeze a bit more juice for just a bit longer out of the 560ti, am I right? Would I not see descent benefits to SLI'ing say, 2 gigabyte gtx 560ti cards? For this, I really need help discerning which particular model offered by the many 3rd party makers of the gtx 560ti (in the $169.99 price range), is the best bang for my buck.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any feedback you might have. Although it's a new build, I've put enough time into watching videos and reading forums/reviews of products that I feel I've acquired quite a bit of knowledge along the way. I just feel like I've hit a wall with how nauseating it is to sift through the MANY products available for these three areas. I live in Canada, so I've been using tigerdirect.ca, newegg.ca, ncix.com, directcanada.com, and more recently canadacomputers.com (and found out there's one locally).

*SSD was left out because I'm not even sure I want one. If I did, it would be something like http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=557371&CatId=5300 (that's a link from yesterday) but i heard the vertex 3 are better. Essentially anything with MLC Nand and a history of reliability from that specific model, while having a generous price, is needed for me to purchase one. Although NCIX has this today: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=61051&vpn=AGT3%2D25SAT3%2D120G&manuf acture=OCZ%20Technology&promoid=1259 which I consider a descent price for a good amount of space in an SSD, just again, unfamiliar with the specific model.
Old April 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

psu: For sli 560Ti's a good quality 750W psu will work fine. Check out seasonic, xfx, silverstone, corsair, or antec psu's. I personally would spend the money on a good unit as it is the backbone of any system and you usually keep them for a couple of builds. Also get 80plus gold rated. Don't skimp on the psu.

case bitfenix Raider 80 bucks, or check out one of the corsair or antec cases

If you want to get an ssd, then something like a crucial m4 would work.

As for getting another 560Ti to run in sli, you could probably find a used one for a good price on these forums. I'm not sure if it is worth it to buy new at this point. You could also sell the 560Ti and put the money towards a gtx 670 or 660 when the mid range 6xx cards arrive.

Hope this clears up a few of your questions.
Old April 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I wouldn't overlook getting an SSD! the difference in performance is unreal.