Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default 3 way eyefinity setup?

hey guys i have a system i built and i want to know if there is a nice cheap 3way efinity setup that is availible, or even the best monitors to run an eyefinity setup. i have an hd 6970, and i am looking for monitors about 21-24" with 1080P resolution and really small bezels. any suggestions will be appreciated! thanks!

sorry if its the wrong category, thought this was the best place to put it
Old April 10, 2012, 04:06 PM
MVP

Keep an eye on Dell.ca. They have a monitor there with the model # U2312HM. They usually go on sale often for under $200 and are fantastic monitors. I have 3 of them myself and love them.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old April 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

thanks but those are still a little big for my liking... im looking for something like this MD230X3 - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG except cheaper. but thanks anyways
Old April 10, 2012, 07:24 PM
MVP

I am confused. You say that my recommendation to a 23 inch monitor is too big for your liking....then you link to a setup that also has three 23 inch monitors.

Err......

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old April 11, 2012, 04:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Your best bet is to run eyefinity in crossfire seeing as the extra monitors put a large strain on the single card. Expect to see frame rates in the 20s and 30s and having to lower the graphic quality settings down with a single 6970.
Old April 11, 2012, 04:39 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

im not saying the monitor is to big im saying the bezels are to big, i dont want something with really big bezels because itll take away from the experience.

the 6970 is able to run 6 monitors off a single card, so im not expecting to much of a performance drop although i understand there will be some, and i only have a 750W power supply, so i only have the cables to put one card i am missing a second 8pin for power so thats not an option

Last edited by Arinoth; April 11, 2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old April 11, 2012, 05:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's able to, but at lower graphical settings. You cannot play most if any games on the highest setting in eyefinity on a single card (dual card solutions not with standing as in the 6990), there isn't enough video ram or raw processing power to accomplish this.

Trust me on this one, I've ran/been running eyefinity/nvidia surround for a couple years now, and if you want to 3 monitor game at max settings (aka high/ultra) without dropping down in frames you're going to need a second card. Look at reviews on here for 2560 x 1440, now drop those frames by at least a third. I'm just trying to warn you, even though they claim you can run up to 6 monitors, its not with games at their max settings.
Old April 11, 2012, 05:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
It's able to, but at lower graphical settings. You cannot play most if any games on the highest setting in eyefinity on a single card (dual card solutions not with standing as in the 6990), there isn't enough video ram or raw processing power to accomplish this.

Trust me on this one, I've ran/been running eyefinity/nvidia surround for a couple years now, and if you want to 3 monitor game at max settings (aka high/ultra) without dropping down in frames you're going to need a second card. Look at reviews on here for 2560 x 1440, now drop those frames by at least a third. I'm just trying to warn you, even though they claim you can run up to 6 monitors, its not with games at their max settings.
x2, it is a significant performance dip, especially on games like BF3. Just look up some eyefinity vs 1080p benchmarks.
Old April 11, 2012, 05:29 AM
Top Prospect

I have run eyefinity starting with release on the 5870 and it is currently running on my 7970 lightning.

To start I wanted cheaper as well, so I watched my local store for great monitor deals. I ended up with Samsung E2320X. I had that for some time, using the crappo stands with monitor, but eventual bought an ergotech stand, now you can buy the official WSGF stand, it rocks.

I currently run three Samsung Ve series, VE24/VE27/VE24 all using Display port. Beauty of the MSI 7970 Lightning is it has 4 mDP ports. Having a bigger middle screen rocks, since it is your primary focus, at first it was a bit weird but now I would not have it any other way.

Watch the local store for a great deal, man you can really pick up great stuff, I got my three 23s for 129.99 each several years ago.

Since your new to eyefinity, I tell you about tearing. The issue you have is no card has three DVI, and HDMI and DP are data packet not timed signals, so you will get teariing (it will look like the image is split and shifted a few pixels or so off, it will just run up screen from time to time), its causing by the different ports getting out of sync. By using a card with 3+ DP you can get around tearing, even if you use threee DP>DVI dongles. This is why I bought the MSI 7970 Lighting it has 4 mDP ports, also the ASUS 7970CUII has 4 DP ports but its three slots wide and has some issues with poor manufacturing and is missing shims on the mounting.

Last thing, despite claims of all star developers, many games do not support or work with multmonitor setups. Skyrim or reckoning are a good examples. For support check out WSGF, some really goods devs have some great programs to hack in support. But it is not perfect. Oddly older games can often be the best, hell I run Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and it is Unreal 2.0 engine. Also some older games run on multimonitor but do not support it (like Vanguard), so you get a little side view mirror effect (warping) in the wings. But its noit bad drivers do a decent job of trying to make it work.

Once you go three, you cannot go back.

Enjoy!!!!!

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old April 11, 2012, 08:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I have run eyefinity starting with release on the 5870 and it is currently running on my 7970 lightning.

To start I wanted cheaper as well, so I watched my local store for great monitor deals. I ended up with Samsung E2320X. I had that for some time, using the crappo stands with monitor, but eventual bought an ergotech stand, now you can buy the official WSGF stand, it rocks.

I currently run three Samsung Ve series, VE24/VE27/VE24 all using Display port. Beauty of the MSI 7970 Lightning is it has 4 mDP ports. Having a bigger middle screen rocks, since it is your primary focus, at first it was a bit weird but now I would not have it any other way.

Watch the local store for a great deal, man you can really pick up great stuff, I got my three 23s for 129.99 each several years ago.

Since your new to eyefinity, I tell you about tearing. The issue you have is no card has three DVI, and HDMI and DP are data packet not timed signals, so you will get teariing (it will look like the image is split and shifted a few pixels or so off, it will just run up screen from time to time), its causing by the different ports getting out of sync. By using a card with 3+ DP you can get around tearing, even if you use threee DP>DVI dongles. This is why I bought the MSI 7970 Lighting it has 4 mDP ports, also the ASUS 7970CUII has 4 DP ports but its three slots wide and has some issues with poor manufacturing and is missing shims on the mounting.

Last thing, despite claims of all star developers, many games do not support or work with multmonitor setups. Skyrim or reckoning are a good examples. For support check out WSGF, some really goods devs have some great programs to hack in support. But it is not perfect. Oddly older games can often be the best, hell I run Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and it is Unreal 2.0 engine. Also some older games run on multimonitor but do not support it (like Vanguard), so you get a little side view mirror effect (warping) in the wings. But its noit bad drivers do a decent job of trying to make it work.

Once you go three, you cannot go back.

Enjoy!!!!!
Very valid points, I had forgotten that there is very poor support for 3 monitor gaming with modern games. It seems like a crap shoot if you find a game that fully supports it, hence the thread in my signature. Hell there are even games that work 3 monitors for one gpu company and not for the other (example Witcher 2 only supports nvidia surround).