Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2012, 11:16 PM
Rookie

Default First Build - Ivy Bridge

Hey guys. In a couple months, I want to build a mid-range Ivy Bridge gaming PC. I want it to last a very long time, so I am prepared to drop $1000 to $1500 on it.

It will mostly be used for mmorpgs for now. I have no intention of running any higher end games like Crysis 2/BF3 and the like, but I may in the future. Any suggestions on what this build should look like?
Old April 10, 2012, 09:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

1500 bucks will get you quite a lot of goodies if you don't need to allocate 1/3 to a 680 GTX.

I can see the i5 2500 equivalent + 8 gig of decent memory + a 200-300 dollar video card. You don't need to overclock for mmorpg so you don't need aftermarket cooling solutions nor an awesome case nor a hefty psu.

This leaves you with enough of a budget to run a badass raid 0 array with two good ssd.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
1500 bucks will get you quite a lot of goodies if you don't need to allocate 1/3 to a 680 GTX.

I can see the i5 2500 equivalent + 8 gig of decent memory + a 200-300 dollar video card. You don't need to overclock for mmorpg so you don't need aftermarket cooling solutions nor an awesome case nor a hefty psu.

This leaves you with enough of a budget to run a badass raid 0 array with two good ssd.
If he is looking for it to last for a long time he might as well get the best he can get though. In 4 years anything less than a 680 might not be relevant and he wont be able to play new games at high settings.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post

Okay, what motherboard would I need? Also, I don't know much about Ivy Bridge but I heard that it is less power consuming, so would a 600-700 watt PSU be enough?
Old April 10, 2012, 12:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Wait til Ivy actually releases and then we can give you some recommendations on motherboards, and cpu coolers to go along with it!

Old April 10, 2012, 12:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah cant really give recommendations until the products are on the market.
Old April 11, 2012, 12:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Yeah cant really give recommendations until the products are on the market.
Aren't all the products already on the market other than the Ivy Bridge cpu? Or are you suggesting that there be a new configuration of parts that will work best with Ivy Bridge that we cannot foresee?
Old April 11, 2012, 07:29 AM
Rookie

The motherboards are out on the market. The quad core CPU's will be out on the market on April 29th, but we are unsure of the exact pricing for the CPU's. I would imagine the price will be similar or slightly higher than the current Sandy Bridge prices.
Old April 11, 2012, 08:22 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

There are some boards out yes but there are a load more coming and you cant really judge a board without having the CPU that it is built for. When you are ready to build there will be more options for boards and a lot more information on which boards are the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chair1 View Post
Aren't all the products already on the market other than the Ivy Bridge cpu? Or are you suggesting that there be a new configuration of parts that will work best with Ivy Bridge that we cannot foresee?
Old April 11, 2012, 09:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
There are some boards out yes but there are a load more coming and you cant really judge a board without having the CPU that it is built for. When you are ready to build there will be more options for boards and a lot more information on which boards are the best.
Ah, okay. I'll wait then, thanks.

Last edited by chair1; April 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM.