Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2012, 01:16 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 150

My System Specs

Default Time to upgrade!?

Well I feel like its time for a upgrade. I've held out for quite a while with the E8400 C2D but I feel I finally feel its limitations in some of the newer games.

I'm planning to just upgrade the mobo+cpu+ram, probably add in an SSD. However I think the rest of my stuff can stay. Should I grab the upcoming ivybridge? Or wait till that drops and pick up the cheaper sandybridge options then.

Any suggestions as to what I should upgrade too?
__________________
Intel E8400 (4 ghz) w/ CM 212+
HIS 6870 Turbo
2x2gb OCZ Vista Performance Platinum [5-4-4-15]
500gb SG + 2TB WD20EARS
Corsair TX650W
Asus P5Q
Lancool K-62BW
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2012, 02:37 PM
dandelioneater's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 1,114

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by impruv View Post
Well I feel like its time for a upgrade. I've held out for quite a while with the E8400 C2D but I feel I finally feel its limitations in some of the newer games.

I'm planning to just upgrade the mobo+cpu+ram, probably add in an SSD. However I think the rest of my stuff can stay. Should I grab the upcoming ivybridge? Or wait till that drops and pick up the cheaper sandybridge options then.

Any suggestions as to what I should upgrade too?
Ivy would be the way to go, but I would upgrade your 4850 video card as well if you are going that route. At least a gtx 570 or 6970 would be ideal.

I'm sure there will be some 2500k/z68 combos coming available in the coming month as the new Z77 stuff arrives,So you should be able to pick up a sandybridge mobo/cpu and maybe even a gtx 570 or something from the BST for a decent price. Also, +1 for the ssd, crucial m4's or vertex 3 or the intel 520's are on the top of my list.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2012, 02:42 PM
Bond007's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,961

My System Specs

Default

IB vs SB will likely be marginally faster and a bit more power efficient. Its your call if its worth waiting for to buy or to see if it brings some good SB sales. IMO you waited this long, so why not wait a little longer to see the result of IB being released. If your computer is mainly a gaming rig then i5 2500k or i5 3570k (I think that is the right name) when its released will be the way to go.
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950, Seasonic S12II 500W, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2012, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 150

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
Ivy would be the way to go, but I would upgrade your 4850 video card as well if you are going that route. At least a gtx 570 or 6970 would be ideal.

I'm sure there will be some 2500k/z68 combos coming available in the coming month as the new Z77 stuff arrives,So you should be able to pick up a sandybridge mobo/cpu and maybe even a gtx 570 or something from the BST for a decent price. Also, +1 for the ssd, crucial m4's or vertex 3 or the intel 520's are on the top of my list.
Oops, I didn't update my 'System Specs' in the drop down. If you look at my sig, I actually have a 6870 OC'd now. And yea, I'm looking to pick up a Crucial M4 128 for OS/Steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
IB vs SB will likely be marginally faster and a bit more power efficient. Its your call if its worth waiting for to buy or to see if it brings some good SB sales. IMO you waited this long, so why not wait a little longer to see the result of IB being released. If your computer is mainly a gaming rig then i5 2500k or i5 3570k (I think that is the right name) when its released will be the way to go.
Well I'm still waiting. My only thing is, I think I read that Ivy has about 7% performance gain? My main point is just that if there are good cheap deals on SB when Ivy comes out, what is the better buy.
__________________
Intel E8400 (4 ghz) w/ CM 212+
HIS 6870 Turbo
2x2gb OCZ Vista Performance Platinum [5-4-4-15]
500gb SG + 2TB WD20EARS
Corsair TX650W
Asus P5Q
Lancool K-62BW
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2012, 03:09 PM
dandelioneater's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 1,114

My System Specs

Default

If there are good deals on SB then it will be the better bang for the buck, the only drawback would be that you've just bought old tech.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2012, 05:49 PM
Bond007's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,961

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by impruv View Post
Well I'm still waiting. My only thing is, I think I read that Ivy has about 7% performance gain? My main point is just that if there are good cheap deals on SB when Ivy comes out, what is the better buy.
No way of knowing till we see what the actual prices are. There likely won't be any real price drops (intel doesn't usually do this to its old models), it will probably just be retailers having sales to clear out stocks. For that reason I think it will be hit and miss if you manage to grab a good deal or not.
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950, Seasonic S12II 500W, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time to upgrade? silentfrost Video Cards 11 December 14, 2010 11:22 AM
Upgrade time! D4ng3r New Builds 11 May 10, 2010 09:59 PM
It's time to upgrade... 3.0charlie New Builds 9 July 4, 2008 07:43 PM
Bad time to upgrade, need help. Matty D CPU's and Motherboards 12 May 4, 2008 09:08 AM
Time to Upgrade Again Beermaster CPU's and Motherboards 2 April 23, 2008 09:25 AM