Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Time to upgrade!? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/53190-time-upgrade.html)

impruv April 9, 2012 01:16 PM

Time to upgrade!?
 
Well I feel like its time for a upgrade. I've held out for quite a while with the E8400 C2D but I feel I finally feel its limitations in some of the newer games.

I'm planning to just upgrade the mobo+cpu+ram, probably add in an SSD. However I think the rest of my stuff can stay. Should I grab the upcoming ivybridge? Or wait till that drops and pick up the cheaper sandybridge options then.

Any suggestions as to what I should upgrade too?

dandelioneater April 9, 2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impruv (Post 619162)
Well I feel like its time for a upgrade. I've held out for quite a while with the E8400 C2D but I feel I finally feel its limitations in some of the newer games.

I'm planning to just upgrade the mobo+cpu+ram, probably add in an SSD. However I think the rest of my stuff can stay. Should I grab the upcoming ivybridge? Or wait till that drops and pick up the cheaper sandybridge options then.

Any suggestions as to what I should upgrade too?

Ivy would be the way to go, but I would upgrade your 4850 video card as well if you are going that route. At least a gtx 570 or 6970 would be ideal.

I'm sure there will be some 2500k/z68 combos coming available in the coming month as the new Z77 stuff arrives,So you should be able to pick up a sandybridge mobo/cpu and maybe even a gtx 570 or something from the BST for a decent price. Also, +1 for the ssd, crucial m4's or vertex 3 or the intel 520's are on the top of my list.

Bond007 April 9, 2012 02:42 PM

IB vs SB will likely be marginally faster and a bit more power efficient. Its your call if its worth waiting for to buy or to see if it brings some good SB sales. IMO you waited this long, so why not wait a little longer to see the result of IB being released. If your computer is mainly a gaming rig then i5 2500k or i5 3570k (I think that is the right name) when its released will be the way to go.

impruv April 9, 2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandelioneater (Post 619186)
Ivy would be the way to go, but I would upgrade your 4850 video card as well if you are going that route. At least a gtx 570 or 6970 would be ideal.

I'm sure there will be some 2500k/z68 combos coming available in the coming month as the new Z77 stuff arrives,So you should be able to pick up a sandybridge mobo/cpu and maybe even a gtx 570 or something from the BST for a decent price. Also, +1 for the ssd, crucial m4's or vertex 3 or the intel 520's are on the top of my list.

Oops, I didn't update my 'System Specs' in the drop down. If you look at my sig, I actually have a 6870 OC'd now. And yea, I'm looking to pick up a Crucial M4 128 for OS/Steam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond007 (Post 619190)
IB vs SB will likely be marginally faster and a bit more power efficient. Its your call if its worth waiting for to buy or to see if it brings some good SB sales. IMO you waited this long, so why not wait a little longer to see the result of IB being released. If your computer is mainly a gaming rig then i5 2500k or i5 3570k (I think that is the right name) when its released will be the way to go.

Well I'm still waiting. My only thing is, I think I read that Ivy has about 7% performance gain? My main point is just that if there are good cheap deals on SB when Ivy comes out, what is the better buy.

dandelioneater April 9, 2012 03:09 PM

If there are good deals on SB then it will be the better bang for the buck, the only drawback would be that you've just bought old tech.

Bond007 April 9, 2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impruv (Post 619194)
Well I'm still waiting. My only thing is, I think I read that Ivy has about 7% performance gain? My main point is just that if there are good cheap deals on SB when Ivy comes out, what is the better buy.

No way of knowing till we see what the actual prices are. There likely won't be any real price drops (intel doesn't usually do this to its old models), it will probably just be retailers having sales to clear out stocks. For that reason I think it will be hit and miss if you manage to grab a good deal or not.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:04 AM.