Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2012, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Default Upgrade idea NEED HELP!

So I have a Dell Precision 380 currently with stock hardware. I want to upgrade the GPU to a 6870 and I realize I will also have to upgrade the PSU as well. Now the big question here is how bad will bottle necking affect the performance of the GPU and is it worth it? Or should I go for a a 7750 instead and save money for perhaps a RAM upgrade?

Buck James

Old April 4, 2012, 10:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

Are you upgrading to play games? Is there a GPU in it already? It's a pretty dated system so I wouldn't be jumping to buy DDR2 RAM for it. A power supply and GPU could potentially be carried over to a new machine down the road.

Old April 4, 2012, 11:09 AM
Rookie

essentially yes it will be to play games. I do plan on moving the new hardware over to a new machine eventually once I get the money. right now I don't even know what gpu is in it I believe its something like a ati 600 something with 256mb of ram. Anywho, and the monitor i have maxes out at 1024x1024 but sometimes I bring the desktop out to the living room and use it on a HDTV which with the limited gpu wont let me get the full 1080p experience meaning I can't even go to a 1920x1080 resolution. I don't have any clue on when I will be building a new rig so I want something that's going to be worth the amount of time I will have these parts in the Dell if that makes sense.

Buck James