Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
Rookie

Default Gaming Build(Or Attempt to be one)

First and foremost I just joined this website but I have been a frequenter on the threads for awhile thought I would sign up and see what some pretty awesome people have to say about my current build and how I can make it better. Thanks in advance
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite

Mobo: P8Z68-V/GEN3

CPU: I7 2600K 3.4 ghz

Heat Sink - Corsair H60 (Push Pull exhaust with stock fan and a Cooler Master Sickleflow)

HDD: Seagate Baricuda 1TB 7200 RPM

GPU: EVGA SP GTX570

PSU: Azza Titan 1000w SLI Capable

RAM: 2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600, and 2x 4gb G. Skill 1600 mhz total of 16gb

Mainly used for gaming, and video editing for world of warcraft as well as pcsx 2 play(playstation 2 emulator). I am currently interested in what people have to say about the build. I am thinking about getting a second GTX570 or upgrading to 2 GTX580's. I'm also considering getting a better/bigger maybe too case.

Other notes it's currently running on an HP S2331 23" LCD which has a max resolution of 1920 x 1080 I am actually thinking about getting a new one as well I want bigger but I am also interested in what people have to say about multi monitor display. I have read mix reviews about it but I am not super sure that's the route i'd go yet. And I currently have the cpu and gpu oc'd with the cpu at 103.0 x 44 which comes out to be a oc of 4.5 ghz with change. And a Core clock of 875 on the gpu

Last edited by Sionel; March 25, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old March 25, 2012, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would suggest just going with one of the 8GB sets of ram, or 2 sets of the same type.
other than that, it should do fine for any gaming, and is quite overkill for WoW.
Old March 25, 2012, 09:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
I would suggest just going with one of the 8GB sets of ram, or 2 sets of the same type.
other than that, it should do fine for any gaming, and is quite overkill for WoW.
Yeah, the WoW Bit I understand. I'm more building for benchmarking as this is the first none OEM computer I have ever gotten so I am kinda going a little nuts with it.

I actually was thinking about picking up a second set of Corsair Vengeance Ram the reason I have 2 different sets is because at the time of purchasing I had the 2 after market none Ripjaw just plain g. skill ram clocked at 1600 were kinda cheap and then I ended up wanting more so I picked up the 2 Corsair Sticks.

The thing I want most is I really want to go all out, and I have about another $2,000 to spend, which could either go for a new and possibly second monitor for surround play and getting 2 GPU's which I am actually looking for suggestions on.
Old March 25, 2012, 10:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

A Core i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz cooled with a H60. Sounds like its going to be quite toasty on max load. Do you frequently monitor your idle and load temps? If the temps are high, you should consider a Noctua NH-D14 or if you're willing to change your case to one that could fit a 240mm rad, Corsair H100.

You could probably add in a 120GB SSD and/or the recently launched GTX680. I am skeptical as to whether the PSU you're having right now would hold up even though it is 1kW but I guess it should be just fine with dual GTX680. Not too sure about the mix and match RAM either, I'd prefer a matching set.
Old March 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
A Core i7 2600K @ 4.5GHz cooled with a H60. Sounds like its going to be quite toasty on max load. Do you frequently monitor your idle and load temps? If the temps are high, you should consider a Noctua NH-D14 or if you're willing to change your case to one that could fit a 240mm rad, Corsair H100.
Currently after a 4 1/2 hour Prime95 stress test the cpu never even peaked over 69 degrees C.
Old March 25, 2012, 11:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For that money you need a 120GB-240GB SSD alongside the HDD.
Old March 26, 2012, 01:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

SSD and make the H50 as push/pull by strpiing 2 identical fans on it, can help temperatures drastically especially by "shrouding" them either by buying shrouds to keep fans off the rad or by making them with cardboard shims or something(basically reduces deadzones and backpressure/overpressure) you have P/P so forget the buying 2 fans part :P For the GPU, me personally would be a 7950/7970 or GTX680 all depends on your needs.

As long as the ram are "same" kits or sticks it shouldnt matter, i.e the PN is the same or at least using the same IC`s on the sticks. If you plan on using muti-monitor then a 680 by itself should be fine unless you plan on going triple monitor very high res, then single or dual 7950/7970 might be a slightly better choice, but anything up to around 3k reso the 680 should be more then fine.

dual 680 use far less power then triple or even dual 570s would, they are suprisinly power efficent. chewing maybe 390w combined gpu side with overclocking them :)

I personally do not use dual gpus, they do have benefits, but ask anyone who has used them for a long time, they can give you headaches in some games, not work at all, need better cooling, power etc. I try just to get a single higher end card, overclock it, and call it done :O
Old March 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonstongue View Post
SSD and make the H50 as push/pull by strpiing 2 identical fans on it, can help temperatures drastically especially by "shrouding" them either by buying shrouds to keep fans off the rad or by making them with cardboard shims or something(basically reduces deadzones and backpressure/overpressure) you have P/P so forget the buying 2 fans part :P For the GPU, me personally would be a 7950/7970 or GTX680 all depends on your needs.

As long as the ram are "same" kits or sticks it shouldnt matter, i.e the PN is the same or at least using the same IC`s on the sticks.

I personally do not use dual gpus, they do have benefits, but ask anyone who has used them for a long time, they can give you headaches in some games, not work at all, need better cooling, power etc. I try just to get a single higher end card, overclock it, and call it done :O
After a very lengthy chat with a friend about the higher res monitors aka the non-market res of 1200 and up I think what I might do is go with 2 or 1 of these with the Nvidia 3D Vision

Amazon.com: Acer GD235HZbid Widescreen 23.6" 3D LCD Display: Computers & Accessories

Any thoughts? reason I looked at this one first is its a 1920 x 1080 and instead of 22 or 21" it's a 23.6" I have a 23 and like it was thinking about going bigger but I think the 3D would give me the extra effects I am looking for in getting more out of my system.

Edit: Looked into 3D surround and it requires at least 3 displays for anything more than 1 so I would have to get 3 which makes this look even better as some of the other 3D monitors are an upwards of $400+
Old March 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionel View Post

GPU: EVGA SP GTX570
Have you considered the new 7870? Slightly better performance, cooler, quieter, lower power consumption, newer generation.