Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 24, 2012, 09:43 AM
NSdeadly1's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Amherst, Nova Scotia
Posts: 238

My System Specs

Question

So I've got the upgrade itch again but I'm stuck on what upgrades to make. My system doesn't really struggle with any of the games I play but I'd like to step up to some newer tech to get ready for some of the newer more intensive games that will be coming. So my question is, Do I keep my current cpu/mobo/ram (can be seen in system specs) and step up to newer more powerful gpu's? Or do i just go ahead and do a full system upgrade? I'll be reusing my case/cooler/ssd and hard drive along with all my peripherals. I'm thinking i'll have a budget of around $1500, give or take a little.

Forgot to mention I'll be keeping my current ram as well. System is used primarily for gaming.

Last edited by Arinoth; March 25, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
Pabz0r545's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,301

My System Specs

Default

I think most would advise waiting for Ivy bridge. I believe it is right around the corner. Are the 6870's in crossfire not performing well enough? I would think you could get another year out of those? Sounds to me it should be fine for your single monitor gaming. On the other hand if you are really itchin you might wanna do a complete overhaul

If you are going to keep your ram, psu, hdd and case you can easily afford pretty much new everything for $1500

Ivy Bridge CPU/Mobo = ~450-500
GTX 680 = 500
Shiny new 120gb SSD = ~160-200

... and that leaves you with a lil room to burn on extra goodies.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 24, 2012, 12:05 PM
dandelioneater's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 1,114

My System Specs

Default

Or get a moderately priced: p9x79, sabertooth, gd65, or ud3 2011 board and the i7-3820.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 07:10 AM
NSdeadly1's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Amherst, Nova Scotia
Posts: 238

My System Specs

Default

The 6870's in crossfire aren't struggling yet, but i'd like to upgrade before they do. A friend of mine has offered me his 2 ASUS gtx 570's for a really good price so i may go that route. This biggest thing for me right now is do i wait for Ivy Bridge or do i go for SB-E system. Out of the 2 i'm sure the x79 chipset will be more "future proof" but it's also more expensive. Not that i can't fit it into my budget though. If i go Ivy then that will free up a few bucks for some other goodies... you see my dilemma lol
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 08:01 AM
Dzzope's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Irishman in Kiev, wOOoo, I'm an alien...
Posts: 2,825

My System Specs

Default

Unless your getting a VERY good price on the 570's I wouldn't bother.. 2 6870's should be more than enough at 1080

In fact, I wouldn't consider upgrading at all if I were you.. but then some people have more of a bug for the new shiney than others..


If your really set on Buying then I would sell your whole rig (or take out what you want to keep and put something ok in, eg hdd's ssd's PSU etc)
And then sell it as a x-fire custom gaming rig.. (or take 1 card out and sell separate).. Otherwise you'll lose allot of bucks on that rig and there really isn't any games that will stress it too bad (at your res)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,953

My System Specs

Default

Given you current setup I wouldn't do anything yet either.

I wouldn't go to the SLI 570 given the 680 performance and cost.

If your XFire 6870 are serving you well I would wait till they start to cause you a problem, because by that time there may be a newer card out that will give you more performance for the same money as what you can buy now.

As for the CPU/MOB upgrade...a new processor would help some, but your OC i5 is by no means lacking.

Going to a 2011 MOB and CPU is going to be a waste given you are only using your computer for gaming and I am guessing you don't have intentions to go 3 or 4 way SLI/XFire.

My conclusion...do nothing until you need to. If you do feel you have to upgrade I would wait for ivy bridge and go for a i5/i7 k series from the new CPUs when they come out and grab one of the new MOB that are coming as well (I believe its Z77) and a gtx 680 (could get that now and put it with the new CPU/MOB when you do get it). You could also just get a gtx 680 and call it a day.
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, MSI Cyclone GTX 460, Seasonic S12II 500W, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,545

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSdeadly1 View Post
This biggest thing for me right now is do i wait for Ivy Bridge or do i go for SB-E system (?)
If you don't fold, you don't need the SB-E. So best idea would be to wait for IB.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
Adzsask's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SK
Posts: 831

My System Specs

Default

570's aren't really a good price yet, I would wait to upgrade until your system is in need of some more performance, you should be able to get another year out of the GPU's, as for the rest of the system there is absolutely no need for more power to game.(other then more graphics in the future). I would do what I am already doing hahaha, wait for next gen processors and look for deals on better graphics.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
NSdeadly1's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Amherst, Nova Scotia
Posts: 238

My System Specs

Default

Thanks for the input guys. I think i might just upgrade what i have for now(as for the 570's i can get them ridiculously cheep :) ) but i might go for a pair of 7870's and a 6gbs ssd and call it a day. It's going to depend on Ivy bridge though, i'll wait and see what they're like when released. As for x79, as tempting as it is i don't think i really need all the features that it offers. It'd be just expensive overkill lol
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,953

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSdeadly1 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I think i might just upgrade what i have for now(as for the 570's i can get them ridiculously cheep :) ) but i might go for a pair of 7870's and a 6gbs ssd and call it a day. It's going to depend on Ivy bridge though, i'll wait and see what they're like when released. As for x79, as tempting as it is i don't think i really need all the features that it offers. It'd be just expensive overkill lol
How much are you talking when you say ridiculously cheap (if you don't mind saying)?
__________________
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, MSI Cyclone GTX 460, Seasonic S12II 500W, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VGA upgrade from GTX 260 first, or CPU+mobo upgrade first? panzerfan Video Cards 9 April 6, 2010 08:25 PM
hardware dilema for my folding rigs Charloz24 HardwareCanucks F@H Team 34 March 10, 2010 02:40 PM
The Nvidia PhysX dilema with ATI cards chibi_man O/S's, Drivers & General Software 41 December 15, 2009 11:59 AM
AGP dilema Natamanchuk CPU's and Motherboards 3 September 8, 2009 07:57 PM
I'm having a bit of an upgrade choice dilema... The MAX Off Topic 12 February 7, 2009 08:44 PM