Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 23, 2012, 09:46 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south of Chicago, IL.
Posts: 7

My System Specs

Unhappy Have case,won't travel !

Have antique ! trying to build something myself !
10 yr. old DELL was top of the line when i ordered it ! I use it for multimedia web surfing, email, tv, and not so much gaming any more! system too old!
Buying parts as i find them on sale ! I have CM Storm trooper, OCX 1250 ZX psu, Liteon Blu ray burner/multi drive, Corsair HY80 cooler.
Still on the list (not in stone) I thought I7 3930,ASUS boards p9x79,/PRO,/Deluxe,/Sabretooth?or maybe Gigabyte GA- x79 -ud7 or 5 ! I'm a sucker for hooking stuff to my PC! Would more sata ports be good for me ?(Gigabyte) I like more PCI-E,USB 3, I want to learn over clocking ! I'm trying to future proof my self if i can.
Need ram ! Thought I should get big tested chunk 16/32 ? Is that way overboard ?Read about ram disk/cache?
Corsair vengence? What speed to start with per board? and do you have to OC from there ? Intel fanboy also nvidia then ati, will try for a fairly high end card and another when I find a deal !easy OCing would be nice! Don't want to buy the most expensive parts out there, I shop TigerDirect near Chicago,IL.US.
also ASUS ssd caching or two120 ssd raid to put operating system on?
Sorry this looks like disaster, think I'm goin out of my mind, thank you for lookin at this! SMS.

Last edited by STEVE-5; March 23, 2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: addon
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 23, 2012, 09:59 AM
dandelioneater's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 1,114

My System Specs

Default

If you want to play some games and are looking for the most 'future proof' I'd say:
i7-3820 -- 3930K only if you need more cores for encoding or folding or something otherwise not really neede for games.

p9x79 or msi x79 gd65 is supposed to be good i hear (with latest bios),
crucial m4 ssd
video card 79xx or 680
ram: gskill, muskin, or corsair is good, 4x4GB kit 1600 MHz probably fine.

Your psu is probably overkilll for a single video card system, but will work just fine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 23, 2012, 10:07 AM
SugarJ's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 6,103

My System Specs

Default

Any of those Asus or Gigabyte X79 boards would do the trick. It would be a shame not to overclock the 3930 as that H80 is a pretty good cooler. If the Sabertooth fits in your budget, our reviewer was pretty happy with it.

As for number of SATA ports, it varies by board. The X79 has 2 SATA 6Gb/s and 4 SATA 3Gb/s ports natively, any extra are added by another controller onboard. It depends on your needs. I have a burner, one SSD and one HDD hooked up. Others have 10 HDD's in their towers for their collection of movies.

Corsair Vengeance is good memory. Check out G-Skill Ripjawz too. If you're going to overclock, I'd look for DDR3-2133 or -2400. I wouldn't put less than 16GB in a new build right now. If you go 32GB, you'll need Windows 7 Professional as Home Premium has a max limit of 16GB.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 23, 2012, 12:40 PM
stoanee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lacombe Alberta
Posts: 3,253

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
If the Sabertooth fits in your budget, our reviewer was pretty happy with it.
As am I, 3820 @ 4.6 ghz currently on that very board and I have not had time to fine tune it yet. I have a ton of things to try yet.
__________________
heatware
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2012, 02:23 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south of Chicago, IL.
Posts: 7

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
If you want to play some games and are looking for the most 'future proof' I'd say:
i7-3820 -- 3930K only if you need more cores for encoding or folding or something otherwise not really neede for games.

p9x79 or msi x79 gd65 is supposed to be good i hear (with latest bios),
crucial m4 ssd
video card 79xx or 680
ram: gskill, muskin, or corsair is good, 4x4GB kit 1600 MHz probably fine.

Your psu is probably overkilll for a single video card system, but will work just fine.
dandelioneater, thanks for the input !
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2012, 02:24 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south of Chicago, IL.
Posts: 7

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Any of those Asus or Gigabyte X79 boards would do the trick. It would be a shame not to overclock the 3930 as that H80 is a pretty good cooler. If the Sabertooth fits in your budget, our reviewer was pretty happy with it.

As for number of SATA ports, it varies by board. The X79 has 2 SATA 6Gb/s and 4 SATA 3Gb/s ports natively, any extra are added by another controller onboard. It depends on your needs. I have a burner, one SSD and one HDD hooked up. Others have 10 HDD's in their towers for their collection of movies.

Corsair Vengeance is good memory. Check out G-Skill Ripjawz too. If you're going to overclock, I'd look for DDR3-2133 or -2400. I wouldn't put less than 16GB in a new build right now. If you go 32GB, you'll need Windows 7 Professional as Home Premium has a max limit of 16GB.
SugarJ , thanks for the input !
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2012, 02:33 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south of Chicago, IL.
Posts: 7

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
As am I, 3820 @ 4.6 ghz currently on that very board and I have not had time to fine tune it yet. I have a ton of things to try yet.
stoanee , thanks for the input !
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 12, 2012, 05:43 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south of Chicago, IL.
Posts: 7

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-5 View Post
SugarJ , thanks for the input !
SugarJ , Bought I7 3930k... officially supports 1600 , unofficially 2133 ! that's tops right ? If you get 2133 , should you start out 2133 or go 1600 ? and play with it oc ing ?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2012, 03:52 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 105

My System Specs

Default

If you have plans to overclock, get the 2133. Really the memory on SB-E is not much of a limiting factor but 1600 is native so you leave yourself no room to move if you get 1600.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: south of Chicago, IL.
Posts: 7

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razamatraz View Post
If you have plans to overclock, get the 2133. Really the memory on SB-E is not much of a limiting factor but 1600 is native so you leave yourself no room to move if you get 1600.
Razamatraz , Thanks for the input !
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air Canada travel help Lpfan4ever Off Topic 6 December 29, 2011 08:14 AM
Cretan tools point to 130,000-year-old sea travel _dangtx_ Off Topic 0 August 21, 2011 12:09 AM
Laws surrounding forced travel for work? encorp Off Topic 32 November 11, 2009 03:26 PM
Question for those who travel to Montreal. Droc Off Topic 4 January 23, 2008 04:54 PM
A+ Case Black Pearl WCR Edition ATX Case Babrbarossa Reviews & Articles from the Web 0 June 19, 2007 09:28 AM