Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2012, 02:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Video Editing PC

Hello everyone,

My little sister is graduating this year and will be going to a university for cinematography next fall. I would like to build a new PC for her as a graduation present but not sure what is needed for video editing and such.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Mainly video editing and everyday tasks, i am planning on adding Adobe photoshop and premier pro to her PC.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Hoping to keep it between $1000 - 1500 max

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada, i live withing 5 minutes driving distance to NCIX, Memory express, A-power and a whole bunch of small PC parts store. I would much rather purchase the parts in store or pick up in store.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Don't really have much preference but i have read the Intel and nVidia make a better combination for video editing.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have a spare monitor, keyboard/mouse combo, CD Drive and wireless USB adapter that i will be adding to the PC

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

I have researched a bit and a have a parts list that in mind of what to get

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

No overclocking needed

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

She graduates in June so i'd like to have it finished by then. She does not start school until September though.

I have come up with the following parts for the build, i would much greatly appreciate any input or changes you would make to the build. Thanks!

EDITED March 23

Case: Bitfenix Shinobi Window - White
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 500W
Motherboard: ASUS P8H67-M EVO
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stilleto 16GB (4 X 4GB)
Video Card: ASUS GTX 560 TI
OS Drive: OCZ Agility 3 60GB
Storage Drive: WD Caviar Black 2 TB
CD Drive: ASUS 24X DVDRW

Last edited by Ryknw01; March 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Updated computer hardware
Old March 19, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Choices look solid overall, but you could spend less given what the computer will be used for. If she will not game with it I would say drop the gtx 560 completely and use integrated graphics (could consider using the saved money on a 2600k). Also, intel's next gen CPU should all be released by the time you will build, so you should use the 2500k/2600k equivalent (actually you could use a non-k version, since you will not need to overclock). Given you will not overclock you could also save a few $ by going with a H67 based motherboard.

If you are dropping the graphics card you could also get a smaller power supply (350-400w would be more than enough).

I am also assuming she is not a computer guru, so I would drop the SSD completely (or get a much larger one so she will not have to worry about filling it up).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old March 19, 2012, 03:32 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

You will WANT the graphics card. It speeds up the rendering process. I personally have a GTX 580 paired with a i7 3960k. And I'm able to render a 40 minute in 1080p video in 55mins. My 2600k with my GTX460 would have easily taken 100+ minutes to render that video. Some rendering programs utilize the GPU and make render times shorter.
Old March 19, 2012, 03:39 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Depending on the app used to render, different GPUs can be used - as for example the Adobe suite recommends the GTX570/580 for their Mercury Engine, but not the 560. Keep that in mind.
Old March 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the response guys

So should i wait for Ivy bridge? maybe change the specs to an ASUS Z77-M Pro motherboard and a Core i5 3550? You are right there would be no overclocking so i think a 3570 or 3570K would be too much.

I read on some other forums that the mercury engine will work on GTX 560 Tis, anyone know if this is true or have tried it? If not i guess i will have to upgrade to a GTX570, hopefully the prices will come down once the 680s come out.
Old March 21, 2012, 08:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The latest info showed that IB does not give you a tremendous boost over SB, so whether you decide to wait for IB or not, it doesn't matter much. Seeing as there aren't that many choices for IB motherboards and IB processors yet, I would rather recommend getting a Core i7 2600 paired with a H67 motherboard at the very least.

The extra threads will be very useful for the software that your sister would be using and an expensive motherboard like the Z68 would go to waste if you have no intention of doing any overclock and you're paying a lot for features that your sister might never use. A 500W is more than sufficient and if possible, spend less on a 2TB HDD and get a higher capacity 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD combo.

Don't put too much hope that with the introduction of the GTX680 will reduce the prices of GTX560 Ti and/or GTX570. I say this because they are not in the same price range or product range that they it will be replacing. There might be a price reduction with the GTX580 as it is being replaced with the GTX680 but the middle range will still be the same till Nvidia decides to bring in GTX660 or GTX670.

Last edited by dma0991; March 21, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old March 23, 2012, 12:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I have updated the hardware specs i will be buying. I decided to stay with Sandy bridge and i did find that the GTX560Ti works with the Mercury engine on another forum so i changed it to that. I also kept the OS SSD drive because she is not totally lost with computers and i can teach her how to use the SSD for programs and the HDD for storage. Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!