Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 16, 2012, 07:54 PM
Rookie

Default Windows 7 Installation Error HELP!

I just finished building this and now im getting an error (0x80070017 Windows Cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing...) when expanding the files for windows 7 to install. The internet has offered no fixes yet as i've tried all of them except using different ram. The problem is that the expanding hangs at 0% for 5 mins and starts until about 72% then gives me the error. I was just using the HD and ram in another build and they were fine. The specs of the system are:

Asus p5b
Q6600 G0
ocz2p8004gk Memory
XFX Radeon 6850
XFX 750w Pro PSU
Hitachi 160 GB Sata HD

I've used two different disks and the other hangs at 39% instead of 72%. They are working disks as i used them the day previous for another build.
Old March 16, 2012, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Use a different disc, that errors generally means either the disc is garbage or the HDD is dying.
Old March 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
Allstar

I found this on a windows forum:

Code:
"Hi, i also had this problem but managed to fix it.
This required me use an external hardrive I had. I extracted the .iso  file to an empty partation (so inside the partition it would look like  the inside of a boot disk). I then ran the setup file while I was still  logged into Vista, and choose custom instal  to format the whole drive. The first step which is "copying windows  files" or something like that takes alot longer than if u did it from  boot up. My laptop restarted  when it got to the "expanding windows  files" (where it got stuck before), and when it restarts  you have given 2 options to select before your computer starts. Windows  setup, and Windows Vista. Highlight Windows setup (or just press enter  becuase it will already be highlighted) and it will give you screens  like it did when you booted from a DVD, but  it will continue straight from "expanding windows files". From this  point I encountered no errors or problems, but it is time consuming.

However, make sure you extract the ISO file to a hardrive or a flash pen  or something, this procdure does not work if your run from the disk, I  dont know why, but for me i tried to use the setup from the disk, but it  got stuck during the "copying stage" right  at the start. So if your encountering these problems, just copy the  contents of the CD into a harddrive of some sort, and then run it, dont  boot. "
If you've already sued the install disk on other builds, try cleaning it. Might also check out Microsoft Store Online
Old March 17, 2012, 07:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Error 0x80070017 - Expanding files (0%) - "Cannot install required files" - Page 5

You may want to try that link for advice or possible solutions. I have done many clean installs and have never seen that error. In that link people talk about switching or moving out ram sticks. They say it worked for them. Others talk about getting a new HD and yet still got the problem. One mentions a new Win7 OS purchase but still got the problem. This makes me think its not your disk but your hardware. Simple to test the ram as long as you have enough to move or swap out a stick at a time.

Good luck,
Old March 17, 2012, 08:43 AM
Top Prospect

This is either ram, the disk or the optical drive itself.
Old March 17, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Its not the disc. Try with 2GB of ram to do the install and see what happens.
Old March 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I literally had that problem happen to a friend less than a month ago.

It is a super frustrating error as there are many possibilities including:

Defective media
Defective media reader
Defective memory

Reference the QVL and see if the memory is compatible. The memory that gave us trouble was not compatible but was not defective, according to an overnight memtest scan.

When i buy new memory I always ensure it is on the QVL (qualified vendor list) or you get WEIRD errors.
Old March 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Default Solved

Thanks for the input. After 12 hours and 3 windows disks it eventually got past the initial expanding installation screen, which for some reason made it not post. After a CMOS reset I continued and it worked. The difference I guess was the 3rd disk was burned at 4x instead of 2x (really old burner). The memory which i thought was the problem is running fine now, and my HD seems to be fine as well. Now i've got it OC'd to 3Ghz no problem. F-in computers.

Tags
p5b , q6600