Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

First, welcome to the forums!

It looks like our members have already answered most of your questions, however I'd like to add that SSDs are single handedly the best bang for buck speed improvement upgrade you can do to a pc, and worth every penny

A 128 gig SSD can be had for $150 or less. I recommend to all my family and friends to get one, and depending on their hardware sometimes tell them to not upgrade, but to instead just buy a SSD. The performance is that drastic in even day to day tasks.

I definitely wouldn't build a new rig today without one, and would even downgrade my CPU before cutting out a ssd.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old March 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLantern12 View Post
I also really appreciate the Ram suggestion. I don't know much about the "types" is 1600 a lot better? I mean for instance is 2 gig of 1600 better than 4 gig of 1333? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question
Speed of the ram is how fast your processor can access stored information and the size (ex 2gb) is how much info can be stored on each memory stick. Easiest way to think of it (in my mind) is like water. Your hard drive is a big barrel of water and your ram is a bottle. The frequency of the ram is the amount of pressure running through a hose from the barrel to the bottle and the bottle to you (you in this case being your processor). You can only access the water in the bottle. If you need 4gb of water and your bottle only holds 2gb then you will be massively slowed down (lag problems). If you only need 2gb water and the bottle hold 4/8/16gb it doesn't matter and it won't be any faster or slower as long as the bottle can hold what you need (most people are fine with 8gb). Once you have enough ram the frequency comes into play speeding up the rate of filling and emptying the bottle. Faster ram will make a few % improvement in performance, but nothing earth shattering.

In the end you have to ensure you have sufficient ram for what you will be doing and overkill will not help in anyway. Faster frequency ram will make your machine run slightly faster, but for the most part its not worth the investment in very high frequency ram. Hence why I suggested 8gb (usually sold as 2x4gb sticks) of middle of the road 1600mhz ram.

EDIT: I realize a GB is not a unit of measuring water, but hey it works for the example...lets say 1 gb=1 L for all those who want to be picky.
Old March 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
Rookie

I would just like to thank EVERYONE for all their input and it's SO helpful. I went to my nearest PC parts store (that's not a 1 man a counter and a catalog kind) and did some pricing and inventory scouting. They have most if not all of everything you guys are saying. I copied down some prices and am going to sit down tommorow and see whether it'll be cheaper to buy it all 1 piece at a time or so over the course of a couple months or order it all bulk online for shipping/savings. The store is call Micro center in New jersey and is kind of a bestbuy of parts very big store with semi knowledgeable workers. I'm not sure if the do price matching so i'll look into that.

So far it looks like i'll be going with something like (not final at ALL btw but just compiling peoples thoughts and my pricing):

--i5 2500k (unless by the time I buy everything the new stuff is either out or close to being out.)
--Asus z68 gen 3 (to sort of future proof myself a bit incase the new intel cards are needed down the road)
--The caviar black 1.5tb or something similar. I'm going to stear on the side of finances on the SSD I know it probably is SO nice to have but it's an extra 150+. IMO I can either get one later or if things are spaced out far enough I still MIGHT buy one.
--Geforce 570 because preformance wise it doesn't seem like the 580 is worth the extra 100+ or so dollars. This will also probably be the LAST part I buy that way if the new cards at least have an ETA or benchmark out I can then revisit the topic here.
--Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb
--Corsair Graphite series tower (It's white and I LOVE white)
--Corsair TX750w High preformance Power supply.
--Cooler master hyper 212 fan thinger
--Asus 24'' Monitor
--Some form of Optical drive. I'd LIKE it to be Blu-ray compatiabal because I like buying tv shows on blu-ray... but might just go for the cheaper Dvd.

This is what I'm ending up with so far. a note on other suggestions so people don't feel like I'm ignoring them.
I would LOVE to go water cooled... But I just am too nervous. I'm worried about leaking and upkeep and all sorts of things. I just don't feel comfortable with it. When the time comes to build I'll maybe look into it further but I'm just too nervous. If I ruined even 1 of these parts I think i'd cry. I can afford the pc but not enough to risk burning something out... Just a nervous nancy I guess.

Amd/Radeon. I'd love to make the switch but I just like I said don't feel comfortable. I feel like it's alien tech and a foreign language. Once again this may change probably the video card more so than the processor but who knows.

I think I'll start piecing this together slowly starting with the 100%'s like the case and the ram and the PSU. hopefully by that time the new stuff will be out or have some tests or benchmarks.

What do you guys think of all THAT?

PS. Awesome community and I owe you all lunch if you're ever in Joisey.
Old March 16, 2012, 07:08 AM
Top Prospect

Micro center usually has an awesome deal on motherboard/cpu combos that can save you a ton of cash. So they are a good place for that stuff. Their videocard pricing can be a bit off at times, so be prepared to shop around a bit and not necessarily buy everything from there. Newegg.com is a good place to shop and the site is well laid out and includes user reviews which can be informative. But going socket 1155 is the way to go, get a quad (2500K) and 8-16 gigs of 1600 ram. I would nit buy 8g dimms right now as they are too expensive. Go 4x4gb if you want 16gb. After that its all about budget. If you want to game, i would spend more on the graphics card up front and forgo the SSD until later. The nice thing about the Z68 is that it has SSD caching so adding a small, fast SSD later is easy and gives a substantial performance boost. The 570 is a great card, but watch pricing over the next few weeks as Nvidia has their new stuff due to launch. Prices are already shifting downward.