Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Default New Build! - tips/input/comments needed

Hey all, first time poster, long time lurker here. I am about to venture into building my first custom build. I need some input/advice on the parts I have. I have pretty much all I need at this point to start building. I've been collecting the components for about a month now so I'm just anxious to get the build going.

My PC will mainly be used for gaming (BF3, SWTOR, Dirt3, Skyrim) and graphic and web design using a lot of the Adobe CS 5.5 programs.

I have spent a little over $2000 on all of these components listed:

Case: Corsair 650D
CPU: Intel i7-2700K
Mobo: MSI Z68A-GD80
RAM: GSkill Ripjaw Xs 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24 (1600mhz) 1.35V *Stock*
GPU: GTX 570 Twin Frozer III (x2) SLI
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB Sata III
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU
Heatsink: Phanteks PH-TC14PE (White)
Fan Controller: Rheosmart 3
Fans: Nexus 120mm Real Silent Case Fans (x3)

My peripherals that I already had include:
(3) 24" Viewsonic LED 1080p monitors
Alienware TactX keyboard
RAZR Deathadder 3500 Mouse
Corsair Vengeance Headset

Now, I have read a few other threads but am looking for info and input specific to my build. I do plan to Overclock a little but advice as to how far to push it would be appreciated

I plan on building the rig ASAP. Thanks in advance for all the help!
Old March 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Swap the ssd for an intel 520.. faster, better warranty etc..

I really wouldn't pay for 570's (especially 2 of them) when the new stuff from nvidia is literally a month - 6 weeks ish away..
It's allot of money on a product thats reaching it's end of life (for production - retail at least)
That said they will handle pretty much anything for a few years anyway.

1200Watt psu is overkill

All the rest looks good.

As for building etc, find yourself a good guide, video or whatever and follow.. it's pretty easy especially if you can see how.

Best tip I can give you on the os install (with your ssd) is to be sure you have selected AHCI and not sata/ide in the bios as it will gimp the ssd severly.
To change it requires a full re-install.. (Like I just had to do on a build cos I forgot to check.. PIT-ASS)
Old March 11, 2012, 07:57 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I have been hearing I went overkill on the PSU. A little too late to do much about it now unless I want to sell it then get another. Question, if it is overkill, its not like it will have any effect on performance or energy usage or will it? And also the two 570s were actually given to me by a friend who had recently upgraded to 590s. Got a pretty good deal on them so I don't feel too bad about getting those even though the 600s are on their way. I figure the higher VRAM 680s will cost a pretty penny and I'd need to build up my expenditures account before I can think about sinking that much money into it.

Also, about the SSD. I've heard some stability issues with the OCZ SSDs. I hear they are blazing fast (even faster than most Intel SSDs), but are much less stable. Hopefully I know what I'm doing and I won't have to deal with constant crashing/BSDs.

But thanks again for the input and tip! I'll be sure to do all of those things.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The Intel 520 series is pretty much the fastest most stable ssd money can buy right now. Not to mention Intel's record for reliability and great warranty.
Old March 11, 2012, 10:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

That is something to point out, Intel usually takes a LONG time to release a new SSD, thier verification process and thier name stands behind it.
Intel 520, Patriot Wildfire, Samsung 830, Corsair Force GT, OCZ Max IOPS, Crucial M4 these are all top of the litter, in the real world any "current" SSD is balzing fast, heck I use a Agility 3 60gb probably the slowest of the modern drives, and it is still faster then I really needed :P

For the cpu, why go with the i7 2700k, get the 2600k save a few $ get a better cooler such as a hyper 212+ that makes up the $ difference and overclock it a bit, there you got a 2700k for less $ and just as fast :)

Another poster mentioned the 570s are silly to get right now, I would have to agree, not only are the Nvidia Kepler coming out very soon, but the Radeon 7k series are already out and faster for around the same $. well the 7870 is faster and should be on the shelves within the next week or so, 7950 is definately faster but quite a bit more $ (currently)

1200w is overkill, not that thats a bad thing, 900-1000w is perfect and plenty if you want to cut it down some, examples silverstone strider gold, Enermax platimax, XFX pro series Platinum etc.

For the OCZ SSD, the best advice I can give you, read up on them throughly, the way their firmware is designed to update. The drive cannot be set as a primary or boot drive, it has to be in AHCI. So, to "flash" the newest firmware to them, you have to have OS installed to example your 1.5tb drive, initalize the SSD as a non primary drive, flash it, reformat the 1.5tb if you want, then go about installing the os and such on the SSD. I believe Intel, Corsair, and Crucial all have it that you can flash it whenever you want, compared to OCZ POS way of flashing new firmware.

For changing to AHCI, its actually pretty straightforward.
Switch to AHCI in Windows 7 (after install) | Windows 7 Themes this explains it pretty well :)

Motherboard wise, I love my ASUS boards, P8Z68-V or -V PRO are excellent choices.

For cases, there is a TON of excellent cases out there, not that the 650d is bad, Corsair Carbide 400/500r, Silverstone Raven 3, Coolermaster HAF series, Cougar Evolution, Akasa Venom, Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra are some examples :)

As for the WD caviar black, 1.5tb is ok, but you can trim down to the 1tb if that will still fit your needs, or up it to the 2tb model which is thier current fastest HDD beyond and almost as fast as their Vraptor line, do make sure it is a sata 6 model if you do go for the CB 1, 1.5 or 2tb models they tend to be the fastest. I am using my 2 older CB 640s, partitioned/shortstroked I love em very rarely do I notice "waiting" for anything.

Anyways, best of luck lad, hope this helped some.
Old March 11, 2012, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would recommend a different headset then the corsair vengeance. I had a corsair HS1 headset and it was a total piece of crap. My clan mates always told me it sounded like static in the background for me and one day one of the earphones just stopped working out of nowhere about 6 months after I bought it.

Since then I got a Logitech g930 and I couldn't be happier.
Old March 11, 2012, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcarolina View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I have been hearing I went overkill on the PSU. A little too late to do much about it now unless I want to sell it then get another. Question, if it is overkill, its not like it will have any effect on performance or energy usage or will it? And also the two 570s were actually given to me by a friend who had recently upgraded to 590s. Got a pretty good deal on them so I don't feel too bad about getting those even though the 600s are on their way. I figure the higher VRAM 680s will cost a pretty penny and I'd need to build up my expenditures account before I can think about sinking that much money into it.

Also, about the SSD. I've heard some stability issues with the OCZ SSDs. I hear they are blazing fast (even faster than most Intel SSDs), but are much less stable. Hopefully I know what I'm doing and I won't have to deal with constant crashing/BSDs.

But thanks again for the input and tip! I'll be sure to do all of those things.

No worries, thats what we are here for :)

The OCZ drives did have a problem that was down to the controller not the manufacturer. It effected all sandforce drives the same but I believe it's been fixed. Intel's new 520 has the same controller, giving it the speed they used to lack in comparison with, as said above, the solid reliability they are known for. Also the software they bundle with the drive makes it awesome when dirty, nothing can touch it for that.

If all the bits are bought already then there are no issues... It's a good system, the above were just some changes to consider if you were going to buy soon. And at least you didn't pay retail for the 570's :)

On the corsair headset, I also have a HS1. I do find that the mic quality is not quite what I would expect for a headset which when I got it was 100 bucks. That said it is one of the most comfortable headsets that I have ever tried if a little on the heavy side.
From what I've read though the new models fix allot of the flaws which the HS1's had though I've not had chance to try them yet.
If I was to get a new one (from corsair) I would go for the 1300 non usb one as the sound quality is reportedly much better. (though I'm not sure about their material choice for the ear-cups)

Last edited by Dzzope; March 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old March 11, 2012, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
That said it is one of the most comfortable headsets that I have ever tried if a little on the heavy side.
Very very true. They are extremely comfortable.
Old March 11, 2012, 05:09 PM
Rookie

Wow thanks for all the input. It's been really helpful. I may look into selling the PSU, downgrading, then putting the money into something else. Not sure yet. Yeah I got most of the parts at a discount from a buddy. I am actually partial to Nvidia, so when the new cards come out, it'll be something I'll be looking to buy. I've already started to save up because I want more VRAM from my graphics cards than these 570s have right now.

I hear the new "680" will have 4GB of VRAM, it may be overkill at the moment, but I'm sure games coming up this year and on will be much more demanding. Anyways, thanks for all the input. The Vengeance headset was another thing I got from a friend. Paid about 1/3 of retail. So far pretty happy with them.
Old March 11, 2012, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Why spend on the 2700k?
The other day, I read on the HWC review about the new LGA2011 CPUs the entry level. It costs less than the 2700k but you pay a bit more for the board. Why not go that path and make your rig a bit more future proof?