Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2012, 10:29 PM
Rookie

Default Help On my Build

I'm Planning on making a PC with a Budget of around $1500 AUD and i'm wondering if i should change anything.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mid Tower $129.00 or Corsair Obsidian 650D Case $215.00
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K $215.00
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3 Motherboard $299.00
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB SuperClocked $299.00
SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD $215.00
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB $99.00
PSU: Corsair TX-850 V2 Power Supply $175.00
RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3$55.00

Total: $1489 AUD

(Do i Really need a SSD and is there a better graphics card for the Price)
(I will be gaming with this but not overly intense)

Last edited by Rory1637; March 6, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory1637 View Post
I'm Planning on making a PC with a Budget of around $1500 AUD and i'm wondering if i should change anything.

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mid Tower $129.00
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB SuperClocked $299.00
SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD $215.00

(Do i Really need a SSD and is there a better graphics card for the Price)

ok,
first off.
case, i'd HIGHLY suggest you two possibilities

1. corsair obsidian 650D
or a bit more colorful
2. coolermaster 932 fulltower

2nd.
GPU, id tell you to get a radeon.
the new 7000 series are EPIC.
a bit overkill tho.
a 6950 is enough.

3rd
SSD, you do NOT need 120GB
60 is alright
32 is limit.

use the spared money to get a GPU or a good case.

please note that this is my opinion, the choice is yours. your money.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If you actively play lots of games you will need a 120GB SSD otherwise you'll be constantly trying to empty out your 60GB. I don't recommend 32GB at all unless used with Intel's SRT technology which you are capable of doing with your Z68 board which would actually give you a pretty decent boost while using the 1TB drive. The 650D is nice but quite expensive you could even go a bit cheaper with a BitFenix Raider at $99 retail which is a fairly decent case. Also the PSU is good but overkill unless you're gonna do SLI in the future.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
If you actively play lots of games you will need a 120GB SSD otherwise you'll be constantly trying to empty out your 60GB.
the SSD for windows,

the 1TB drive for the games and the other stuff
dont mix.
if you really want to, add another 1TB drive.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl4ck_rainbow View Post
the SSD for windows,

the 1TB drive for the games and the other stuff
dont mix.
if you really want to, add another 1TB drive.
Then you lose a lot of the point of the SSD. Sure you'll be able to boot up into windows faster but your game load times are still going to be slow if installed on the 1TB storage drive. Might as well just get a cheap small SSD and use the SRT tech.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
Then you lose a lot of the point of the SSD. Sure you'll be able to boot up into windows faster but your game load times are still going to be slow if installed on the 1TB storage drive. Might as well just get a cheap small SSD and use the SRT tech.
honestly, the SSD speed will be limited by your internet speed at this point.
and no self-respecting pC builder would cheap out on a slow HDD.....
at least I would'nt.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How does internet speed even have to do with SSDs? Get the 120gb and load your most commonly played games on it. You will be disappointed in anything less then 120GB, like silent said you'll be emptying it out all the time. Other then that, that build looks great.
Old March 7, 2012, 02:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

120GB are also slightly faster then thier smaller brothers, more NAND chips=more performance, they also tend to have slightly better fault tolerance and all the extra mumbo jumbo, that and last time I looked(couple days ago) for my buddy in usa, 60GB model was only $30 cheaper, so spend $30 you get faster drive AND double its capacity for only 1/2 extra :) They have 60gb which are fine for OS use and 1 game if you do it right, with my 60gb agility 3 and VERY CAREFULL of whats installed on it, extra crap moved off of it and such I am left with a bit over 24gb, not much space, but enough for 1 game, that being sad the 120gb you really wouldn`t have to take the extra steps to reduce things such as favorites documents etc AND you would still have room for a few of your games(not all games benefit from SSD BTW)

For the computer case
NZXT Source 210 ELITE by far is the best low cost case going right now. Another couple good ones, NZXT M59, Corsair 300r/400r/500r, Silverstone Raven 3(I have one and love it, but you do need longer to put together and longer sata cables etc but excellent cooling it has) Akasa Venom, Cougar Evolution (probably one of the nicest air cooling cases right now that is not that large, isnt to $ and has TONS of room) Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra. If you are looking at low cost the Source 210 ELITE is a winner, read up on it, if you have the extra cash, Corsair Carbide cases are very nice, then there is the Cougar Evolution, I read up on it the other day, and it is quite the case for alot cheaper then most "high end" cases but yet, it has alot of thier performance, looks, features.

GPU-Radeon 6850/6870 or Radeon 7850/7870, the 560Ti is an excellent card, but you showed a $299 price, I am positive you might be able to fine cheaper, 560ti is faster then Radeon 6850/6870 in most things, the Radeon 7850 is pretty much even to a 560Ti and MIGHT be cheaper, the 7870 is in a league of its own but more $. If it were me, I would go with a nice Radeon 6870 or even a 6950, they truly are excellent performers and at least with the 6870 I have no problems playing anything right now, and it is cheaper then a 560ti but it plays 1920x1080 reso with most settings in most games at the medium to high range with AA/AF perfectly well with decent frame rates(a good cpu has ALOT to do with this)

Western Digital caviar black 1tb if you can find them, or Caviar black 640gb. SSD look at the OCZ Agility 3 120gb model, other great choices, Corsair Force GT(not Force 3) or Crucial M4

Motherboard-ASUS P8Z68-V or -V PRO would be the ones I look at (not the LE, LX, or SE versions)

Power Supply-TX are ok, you really only need a 650w for the card you wanted to go with, for this, I would go Corsair HX650, XFX 650 PRO/Core/Black edition, even Antec TP new 650, all much better then the TX series power supplies(not that they are bad, but example the XFX unit is better overall quality for almost identical if not cheaper price then the TX power supplies)

Ram-you listed Corsair Vengeance I believe, excellent memory, another suggestion, take a look at Gskill, they make ALOT of different models, all of which are excellent and usually about the same if not cheaper price then many other out there, example Gskill ddr3 1600 speed ram 9,9,9,24 1.5v 2x4gb kit, for Gskill any of the Ripjaw, RipjawX, Sniper SE, ARES are great kits, they generally end in model names GBRL, GBXL, GBSM, GBSR, GBSR2 etc. I use the GBXL and many of my buddies use the GBSR or GBRL kits they all love em, they work very well(and not that it matters to you) but also have a veyr good headroom for slower speed tight timings or higher speeds as well.

I have SSD and Caviar black 640, my junk, games etc are on the Caviar black, proper partitioning, proper paging file size helps performance lots, as far as a 1tb being SLOW, honestly I have 0 issues with games loading fast, or performance issues due to the HDD, and like I mentioned, some games and apps because of the way they are built, truly do not take advantage of an SSD, and, at worse can hurt the SSD life time because of the way they move thier files, the are compressed etc, its not an end all be all type thing, but I can tell you for general OS use and such, the SSD make a wicked huge speed improvement, making evne a slow system feel super snappy :)

Tags
help with new build