Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2012, 12:44 PM
Rookie

Default Need help picking a case/fans for my New Build

1. What YOUR PC will be used for:
Gaming mostly, Some Photo/Video editting
2. What YOUR budget is:
Would like to keep it around 2500 at the top end if possible.
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Will be buying in Canada (Pricematching @ NCIX)
4. IF YOU have a brand preference:
I have always prefered ATI over nVidia, but am open to suggestions.
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
No current parts planned. Might re-use monitors until I can purchase new ones.
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Yes, have a list of what I am thinking below.
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Some mild overclocking. Have little interest if pushing the hardware to it's limits.
8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Within the next few weeks.
9. What resolution do you use?
Best that I can get without breaking my bank

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome. I am not sure on what case I wan't to stuff all this gear in, so thought are welcomes there. Also looking for thoughts/opinions on case fans both to install in the case and replace the stock fans on the H80. Monitors are the only thing I have not researched yet, Looking around the 23" range.

Note: This PC is going to sit up on a desk, so it needs to look decent. If there is a side window, then the interior needs to be as nice as exterior.

I plan in the future (a yr down the road) to pick up an Ivy Bridge chip and a second video card in XFire.

Part List
CPU - Intel Core i5 2500K
Mobo - ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 Z68
CPU Cooling - Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit
Video Card - XFX Radeon HD 7950 Double D Black ED
Case - ??
PSU - Seasonic Platinum 1000 ATX
SSD (SRT Cache) - Crucial M4 Micron C400 64GB 2.5IN SATA3 SSD
HDD (Install) - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3
HDD (Storage) - Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA3
Optical Drive - LG 12X Blu Ray Rewriter SATA Black Lightscribe 3D Playback
OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Fan Controller - Lamptron FCT Full Touch Screen 6 Channel Fan Controller
Fan's - ??

Last edited by Siniq; March 6, 2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Title updated
Old March 5, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Some may suggest upping a 128gb SSD and using it as a boot drive/primary storage device for your most used programs/games. If I had a 2500 budget I would definitely go that route.

Looks pretty solid though. You've definitely done your research. May I suggest you looking at the corsair and fractal design cases? Newegg has an awesome search feature and they take lots of pics of their cases at all angles.
Old March 7, 2012, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

for case you can look at the Corsair Carbide 500R, would match perfectly with your H80 cooler, as for fans I am using Antec 120mm fans, with selectable speeds, you also have choice to select different colours for the fans, red green, blue, just remember that the green ones are really bright will iluminate a lot in the room if they are placed on the side of the case. Not a good idea if you sleep in the same room with the system, in this case you might want simple fans, no LEDs for the side

Last edited by MARSTG; March 7, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old March 9, 2012, 06:20 AM
Rookie

After doing some additional reading and research, I have another question. Should I wait out the couple months and get an Ivy Bridge Chip and a Z77 board, rather then the SB Chip/Z68 Board now?

From what I have been seeing chipset wise, they will be about the same price for a slight performance increase, however I haven't seen anything related to Z77 Board prices.

Would this we a wise choice to just wait the couple months and get the IB Chip/Z77?
Old March 9, 2012, 01:15 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
for case you can look at the Corsair Carbide 500R, would match perfectly with your H80 cooler, as for fans I am using Antec 120mm fans, with selectable speeds, you also have choice to select different colours for the fans, red green, blue, just remember that the green ones are really bright will iluminate a lot in the room if they are placed on the side of the case. Not a good idea if you sleep in the same room with the system, in this case you might want simple fans, no LEDs for the side
ugg antec fans, okay for the money but theirs much better out there. Namely scythe, triebwerk and noctua as examples. Also heard cougar fans from europe are pretty sweet, albeit hard to get and bright orange

Its up to you really, ivy bridge itself seems worth the wait. As for the chipset, it might give vendors an opportunity to implement new proprietary designs into their boards that they've developed since SB. Mostly marketing gimmicks of course but sometimes worth it IMO.

Check out my worklog:http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ct-aozora.html
Old March 12, 2012, 11:48 AM
Rookie

After reading more reviews and suggestions, I think I am going to go with a Fractal Design Define XL case.

I am going to move the back fan into the open front 140mm space, putting the H80 in the back, under the 180mm.

If I need/want to replace the H80 fans, I will probably opt for ugly ass Noctua's since the case is enclosed.

Still undecided on the Ivy Bridge vs. Sandy Bridge chip/mobo right now.