Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2012, 09:43 AM
Rookie

Default Help me pick a few upgrades.

So I am probably going to try and RMA my gigabyte am3 board where most of the USB slots stopped working. And then build another computer using parts off my main computer as I upgrade.

Everything will be AMD based, for now anyway.

So I included a link to my cpu-z validate, but right now I am basically running 8 gigs corsair vengeance 1333, an Phenom 965 BE, Crosshair formula V board, and a MSI twin frozr 2 6950.

So I will be using the 965, the ram, and maybe the video card in the next build, so the question I guess is... are any of the bulldozer CPU's worth getting as an upgrade to the 965, or should I wait until they release something else?

As for Ram, looking at this.
Canada Computers | Memory | G.SKILL Ares Series DDR3 2133MHz (PC3-17000) 8GB (2x4GB) Dual Channel Kit (F3-2133C11D-8GAO)

Any reason I couldn't use a quad channel kit? Wouldn't it be the same as populating 4 slots on a dual channel motherboard? Looking at maybe this instead, although I figure they are probably the same ram as above, just with two more in the package and twice the price...
Canada Computers | Memory | G.SKILL Ares Series DDR3 2133MHz (PC3-17000) 16GB (4x4GB) Quad Channel Kit (F3-2133C11Q-16GAO)

Can't forget an SSD right? Which is more efficient to maintain? Use a normal HDD, with an SSD cache like a synapse setup, or just going with an SSD boot drive, and realistically, will I notice any real difference?

That's all the questions I have for now, if you need more info, shoot.

I think orange may be my favourite colour.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:07 AM
Top Prospect

AMD doesnt support ram speeds above 1333 officially and there isnt a lot of performance to be had above that speed anyways. At least not in AM3. If you are running Bulldozer (AM3+) than ram speeds are supported up to 1866Mhz. So i would look at 1600 kits with tighter timings for AM3.
Quad channel is fine.
Personally i wouldnt do Bulldozer unless you just want to fool around with the overclocking. Real world tests show that they are significantly slower per clock than Phenom II. Just stick with what you have and see what they come out with next.
SSD- if you can afford it, get one large enough to run your programs, you wont regret it. As a cache it works well on Z68, but unless you are using some software caching program, as far as i know, only Z68 supports it natively.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would keep the 965. Bulldozer isn't worth the upgrade. It just didn't perform as well as many had hoped.

You should be fine with that ''quad channel'' kit of ram. They just market it as quad channel for convenience. At the end of the day it is just 4 sticks of RAM. Do you need 2133MHZ RAM? - you would only if you are doing some serious overclocking and I don't think amd boards even support speeds that fast atm. You would be better off just adding more of the same RAM if you need more and getting an SSD.

If you decide to get an ssd, you won't be dissapointed. It will provide a noticeable increase in system responsiveness over an HDD. There is a sticky in the storage section on SSD's. A good one to check out would be the 128 GB crucial M4.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:33 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info. The Ram I have now is moving on to the next computer, so I figured I would replace it with something better. The board does support, or at least that's what the manual says, 32 gigs of 2133. I doubt I would ever use the 16 even, but ram is sooo cheap right now I figured why not go with 16. So I guess the question is, what speed of ram would be the best for my needs. I wanted 4.2 out of the 965, but the 965 is going into the other comp so I don't know. I guess I want to do moderate overclocking, to within the limits of my current H70 cooler. Probably just some 1600 would be fine I imagine.

Ya I figured the bulldozer wasn't much of an upgrade, I always see them compared to the 6 cores, so I wasn't sure of what kinda speeds they were capable of compared to the 965.

I don't have to build this other computer right away or anything, so, maybe we will see if AMD has anything else coming down the pipeline.
Old March 5, 2012, 10:48 AM
Rookie

Sorry Kirbster, I didn't see your post, the link took me straight to Dandelioneaters' post. I will stick with some 1600 then, and since I am not in a big rush, it can wait until I find a good deal.

Seems prices are getting close to a dollar a GB on SSD's, so going to have to grab some of those soon I think. Who knows maybe I will win a 520 in the NCIX contests hah.
Old March 5, 2012, 05:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would recommend 2x4gig kit 1333 mHz ripjaws.