Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
Rookie

Default My Planned Build---Need Advice/Tips

1. I'll be doing some medium gaming, some productivity, and programming(noob).

2. My budget is ~$1000.

3. I'll be buying from US, most likely from Newegg .

4. No extreme preference for any brand.

5. This will be a completely new parts build.

6. I've read reviews on some parts, not all.

7. Undecided on overclocking but leaning towards it.

8. Hoping to build before summer of 2012.(around the time Ivybridge fully comes out I guess?)

9. I use 1680x1050.

Case: Fractal Design R3 Arctic White ($120)

CPU: i7 3770k 3.5Ghz Ivybridge (priced ~$332) Probably going to use stock heatsink because I'm too over my budget.

MOBO: a Z77 chipset board (spending ~$200)

GPU: ASUS HD 7770 1Ghz 1Gb ($170)

PSU: PC Power/OCZ Mk III 600W ($90) it matches the case

RAM: Team Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 ($40) white too lol..

HDD: Seagate Momentus XT 750Gb Hybrid drive ($180) The hard drive is the most unsure item because I want decent amount of speed but good amount of storage(duhs). This thing is quite expensive and this is where I want to cut the most. Alts?

Optical: ASUS 24x DVD Burner ($26)

Totaling about $1158 :O too much TT.TT

Thank you for checking this thread out, any advice, tips, or suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by rEs0nAtE; March 4, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old March 4, 2012, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The most important rule of them before anything is purchased to myself anyway is what am I ( or you) going to be using the PC for , if it is for hours upon hours of gaming then you need some speed and also some decent cooling because some places can get pretty darn hot especially in the summertime when the average low temperature is in the low 80s .
the thing that I have learned building pcs ( for myself and family) is to think things all the way through, do I need that top of the line mouse or video card , sound card. do I need a motherboard that has more then one pcie 16.
Old March 5, 2012, 01:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Go with a lower cost case, such as NZXT Source 210 ELITE you can save a few $ there, I would also NOT go for a Radeon 7770, I would go Nvidia 560Ti/Radeon 6870/Radeon 6950 2gb or a Radeon 7850, MUCH better performance, I know you are trying to save a few $, but getting a top end cpu and strapping it to a low end gaming gpu is just silly in my opinion.

CASE-Source 210 ELITE(which also comes in white) Newegg.com - NZXT Source 210 Elite White Steel with painted interior ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ Black Front Trim or 400r/500r also white Newegg.com - Corsair/Computer Cases
CPU-i7 3770k/3570k again saving $(and you can easily overclock it to match the 3770k) or Core i5/i7 2500/2600k
MOTHERBOARD-whatever you choose :P
GPU-I recomend Radeon 7870 or 7850 if you want to save the few $ such as ASUS TOP series cards
POWER SUPPLY-the one you listed or XFX 650/750 may not match, but they are excellent power supplies, and around the same $ Newegg.com - XFX/Power Supplies
RAM-personally I would go with MINIMUM 1600 speed ram example Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9W
HARD DRIVE-Caviar black 1tb Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, Internal Hard Drives, SATA 6.0Gb/s, Caviar Black they may not be quite as fast as the momentous, but, you could also go with a very low cost cheap HDD and get an SSD for the OS side, so you get speed and space
example Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) + whatever size HDD you need example for cheap Newegg.com - Internal Hard Drives(they are very $ right now)
OPTICAL- Newegg.com - CD Burners, DVD Burners I personally use the ASUS DRW-B1ST model, quite fast and not to noisy

so depending on choices, you going with 3570k save around $80, case, save around $40, ram spend another $10, hard drive going with single caviar black 1tb save around $40, GPU spend around $80 extra, optical save $8

So what I pointed puts you a bit cheaper, and just as fast more or less, there are alot of choices, hope this has helped you some(also, I think you want a white build, but, if you go with a "standard" color, it might save a few $, also, newegg has combo deals and free shipping on somethings, this may help keep costs down if you pick the parts accordingly, dont forget there is also NCIX which offers pricematching as long as you can link it to them :)
Old March 5, 2012, 03:56 PM
Rookie

thanks! will consider. i have time :]. Price matching sounds good.
Old March 6, 2012, 03:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

O I just wanted to post about something else that may be able to help you boost the speed AND keep it more resonably cost
I do not want to break forum rules here, just figured this may help this lad get his build cheaper and faster all at the same time :)
Accelerator Series SSD Cache Drives AnandTech - Corsair Releases Accelerator Series SSDs
with these you canget say a 5400 rpm or a 7500 rpm lower cost sata 3 or sata 6 drive, get say the 30 or 45gb cache drive AND get near the same speed as you would with the Seagate barracuda XT AND save $, just a thought :)
Old March 6, 2012, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

By the time you are buying the whole market could change, but generally speaking you would be better of going for an i5 and putting the saved money into the graphics card. Unless you deal with heavily threaded programs or have a high budget the i7 (atleast for current intel CPU) is not a wise gaming investment.

For a gaming rig and your budget personally I would go with a slightly cheaper case, i5, slightly cheaper MOB (bang for buck usually around $150 ish mark), a standard 7200rpm hard drive (seagate or WD black), a bit faster ram as new processors should support and take advantage of it, bump the video card up to something around the hd 7870 (or Nvidia equivalent when the new cards get released), and an SSD if there is enough money left in the budget (if not then skip the SSD for now and purchase down the road when funds allow it).

That all said you never mentioned the primary purpose of this build.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

"quote" 1. I'll be doing some medium gaming, some productivity, and programming(noob).
so he seems to need the extra threading power, i7 would be the better choice, 2600k on the lower end of that or IB when they are avail, such as the mentioned 3750k which is more geared for productivity etc.

What I did not notice mentioned is the actual "work" that will be being done, i.e decoding/encoding, programming using what etc, something the i7 do have is the extra threads, and in the case of IB from my understanding they will be even more "tailored" to work type tasks then the current SB or SB-E due to threading counts and general optimizations. but it will be worth seeing when they get released how much they affect the price of current gen sandy-B or Sandy-E chips, should be around april time frame as they are already showing some motherboards off. Asus has some very slick boards they have showcased based on Z77 chipset