Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2012, 08:32 AM
Rookie

Default Considering my next build on same PC case ...

hello to you all here, I'm a new member signing up today.

For this year, I'm looking in doing my next build on the same PC I'm presently using online.

I had built this PC about a few years ago - it's my 2nd one, which was more custom than my first one. That said being I'm not a hardcore gamer but more of a surfer on internet and often do watch videos sometimes. I like to be able use my ram to their max.

Recently, I've begin to notice my PC telling me the CPU is being max'd a lot. So I had to think about doing another build to upgrade for more room to flex around. I'll need your help with feedback and advice - thanks.

Presently what I have in my PC:

CPU: P4 (Prescott) socket 478 - 3.2GHz
mobo: Intel D865PERL "Rock Lake" motherboard
memory ram: Kingston DDR PC3200 (2 x sticks = 2048)
graphics: Matrox Millennium G550 - 32mb

I have 500w power supply, CD re-writer/recorder drive, 2.5 disc drive, milt-drive unit for SD,stick or memory chip in the case. I have 2 hard drives - one for backup, another as main drive with total of 500 gigabytes. Also with 5 fans running (2 front, 2 rear and one top - all are 80 mm).

I'll be using the same case because it's already been painted by myself - I like it and that it's a Li-Lian brand as well. Not sure if I need to reuse the fans because I don't know if the pins will still fit to a newer mobo?

What I have in budget on my mind is between $600 to 750 (800 as the max) to buy new parts. New mobo, new ram, new cpu and new video card ... new fans as a "maybe". Do I need a new power supply or use the same one?

I'll ditch away with 2.5 floppy disc since I now use memory sticks or chip a lot. And for new motherboard - I want to go with 1155 board - type ( ASUS or Gigabyte) as I also want to get an i5 or i7 cpu and have be above 3.0 GHz at least ... which type? I'm behind the times as I'm seeing some names like "Sandy", "Bulldozer" , etc ... what the hell are these?? LOL!

UPDATE: Adding some more info so that I'm clear in what I want do on my next build...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

My PC is mainly used for surfing on internet, watching videos by downloading, do some programs and couple of spreadsheets.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

Budget is set at $600 to 750, but willing go up to 850. Ha, knowing myself - I'll end up closer to $1000 ! Call that a challenge to myself.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Calgary,AB Canada. And I can also do online from TigerDirect, eBay or online. I have my U.S. shipping address account so I'm not worried about custom duty fees.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Hmm, guess that means I'm an Intel-Fanboy and ATI-Fanboy ... but since AMD had took over ATi merged together... am I also AMD-Fanboy?

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

My current parts, if possible, would be the power supply and fans, also the muilti-socket USB device for SD, memory stick or chip

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

Now trying to read a few threads to find my answers to what I need to know...

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

No, leave it at default speeds... but I might do a little overclock just to see how far I can go then back to earth.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

This year - within 3-4 months. Takes time to gather new parts when at great deals. It's all about staying in budget!

9. What resolution do you use?

I think I'm at 1024x768 now, but will want shop for a 24" LCD monitor later.

Again, thanks for your time in reading my post and any feedback.

Last edited by GreenPC; March 2, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:38 AM
Top Prospect

You cant go wrong with an i5 2500K and a decent Z68 motherboard. I am using the Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3.
Get yourself an 8Gb ram kit for around $50.
Your power supply will handle a videocard up to about a 6850 if it is a decent quality one. Upgrade it if you want a more powerful videocard.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbster View Post
You cant go wrong with an i5 2500K and a decent Z68 motherboard. I am using the Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3.
Get yourself an 8Gb ram kit for around $50.
Your power supply will handle a videocard up to about a 6850 if it is a decent quality one. Upgrade it if you want a more powerful videocard.
I agree with this, you will be a very happy camper moving from your current build to a 2500k and decent z68 board. You can find good combo deals if you look around a bit. Or even buy used on here.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:54 AM
Rookie

Can't remember exactly what the brand name on my PSU but it is a high-quality one. It's colored dark blue with 2 cables to give me 2 options to match which pins to fit on mobo. I remembered one part of word on my power supply - it's "fire" on this brand name.
Old March 2, 2012, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As an alternative, (an i5 is a LOT of chip) consider a Llano build:

ASUS F1A75-M Pro - $119.99
AMD A8-3870K APU - $149.99
GSKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ - $49.99

Total: $319.97

The beauty of Llano is that it has excellent integrated video. It's more than enough chip to surf as much internet as you would like, as well as even play light-medium games. The motherboard has HDMI out, as well as 7.1 sound so you can plug it directly into your TV in order to watch movies. And look at the money you'll save!!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 2, 2012, 09:08 AM
Rookie

Hmm... so a i5 2500K cpu is known as "Sandy" huh. I see online that it's a 4 core and that it can run up to 3.3 GHz with a turbo boost to 3.7GHz. Looks good to me but I'm a bit surprised that the GHz isn't that much higher since the last few years. My cpu is at 3.2 GHz - running great to now, however it seems to be close being max'ed for some reason.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:25 AM
Rookie

Found some photos in my files when I had build my PC. Turns out my PSU is called "Blue Storm" and that my video card is called "Radeon X800" by ATi. Here is one photo where I painted my case...

Old March 2, 2012, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

haha, I used to have a X800 card. That is an OLD card!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 2, 2012, 10:03 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
... yup, it's old haha - I took this one from my first build to the second since the card still fit on the next mobo, so it kinda save me a bit of money from buying a new video card.

Now I wonder what's the latest new video card around here? I dare say my old one wouldn't be able to fit on a new Gigabyte mobo now.

Now on to write up a list for new parts...

- an i5 2500K cpu
- a Z68 motherboard (Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 or other board)
- 500w-750w power supply ... do I keep same one or a new one?
- at least 8 GB memory ram sticks

Ripjaws X series ram looks good to me, anyone think these brand are good or is there others like Kingston can match to them in performance-operated and price-compare?

Oh, I'm more of a Intel Pentium-guy ... always been since my first cpu (socket 370) at 133 MHz!

Last edited by GreenPC; March 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post

Yup, things have changed a lot since then. You got a lot of life out of the old rig...