Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2012, 06:43 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Why not wait till 9PM your time tonite. Memory Express is having another weekend sale. You may be able to get i7 2700 (339.00) on sale. Also who knows what the deals will be this weekend, you may just find what you are looking for right under your nose.
Old March 2, 2012, 07:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoTech View Post
Why not wait till 9PM your time tonite. Memory Express is having another weekend sale. You may be able to get i7 2700 (339.00) on sale. Also who knows what the deals will be this weekend, you may just find what you are looking for right under your nose.
You talking about this sale going up at their online store? I did see their announcement about the 72 hours sale. Heh... now I feel like a mouse tending my tail as I wait for 9 pm to come. Must ... resist the "cheese" on the trap *sniff*sniff*

Think I'll get off my hand from my mouse now.
Old March 3, 2012, 03:51 PM
Rookie

Well, I've made the first buy toward my next build. Today I got a pair of G.Skills DDR3 Ripjaws X series 8gb. I have the option of getting another pair to push up to 16 gb if I need to in the future. Got them at memory express for $49.99.

I've decided to go by what my budget allows me every 2 weeks or so to get one or 2 parts in steps ... until I have all what I need. Then will be the beginning of my next build in a new thread later. I had wrote on paper to list what item I want and price-check with few places where they are selling.

Should be fun checking online from now on! My next buy will be a motherboard to grab.
Old March 3, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPC View Post
Well, I've made the first buy toward my next build. Today I got a pair of G.Skills DDR3 Ripjaws X series 8gb. I have the option of getting another pair to push up to 16 gb if I need to in the future. Got them at memory express for $49.99.

I've decided to go by what my budget allows me every 2 weeks or so to get one or 2 parts in steps ... until I have all what I need. Then will be the beginning of my next build in a new thread later. I had wrote on paper to list what item I want and price-check with few places where they are selling.

Should be fun checking online from now on! My next buy will be a motherboard to grab.
Just remember you are going to end up paying more shipping this way.
Old March 3, 2012, 05:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Just remember you are going to end up paying more shipping this way.
True, and that's my goal to keep the cost of shipping low. My list contains of 8 to 10 items which is about all I need to rebuild my PC. I hope to get some locally if possible - patience is the key and good deals is in there.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:43 PM
Rookie

Now I have laid the foundation of my next build - today I think have scooped a good deal in buying a cheap computer case. This is where I found on kijiji site...

Lian-Li Aluminum computer case - Calgary Computer Parts For Sale - Kijiji Calgary Canada.

Emailed to seller and within an hour I brought it. Paid $30 and and took it home. Had a look inside and there was an old ATX board which looks to have a cpu still under the heatsink. Plus, it also come with 4 fans - two are zalman, one fan controller on front and some cables/wires. Well, I'm gonna strip the stuff out and get the case cleaned and prepped for the paint. Now I have to figure what car color to paint the case! this case front could be done in 2-tone finish.

Do you think I made a "steal" or a good deal?

Now I got to find out the little mystery - what type is the cpu under there? Anyone wanna bet it's likely a P3 or P4?

Last edited by GreenPC; March 4, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:41 PM
Rookie

The cpu mystery solved ... I found out it is an old AMD cpu. To be more exact, it's an AMD Athlon with the serial number - AXDA2200DKV3C. I really have no idea what rate in speed it is but as it's already 12 years old what I see from the year on there. Too old anyway and likely not worth much. The ATX board is a socket T462 model.

Update: Google this morning to see what it is ... huh... so it's rated at 1800 MHz? And yup, what I expected ... its worth is about $10 bucks! Not worth the headache to try sell it.

Last edited by GreenPC; March 5, 2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old March 5, 2012, 06:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

That looks like an expensive aluminum case. Good find, but it does not look like it has a mobo tray or something for better cable management. Looks like a mess.
Old March 5, 2012, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It looks like it has the same lack of cable management as my Coolermaster Elite 330 case - zip ties going through the 5.25" drive holes (you're not occupying all the slots for a general use PC are you?) and stick-on cable ties along the bottom of the case and will keep the appearance clean.
You may also want to replace those (60mm?) fans with at least 92mm if you want the PC to be quiet. Anything more than a dual-core at load in there and the fans will ramp up to notably high levels.
Old March 5, 2012, 11:32 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
It looks like it has the same lack of cable management as my Coolermaster Elite 330 case - zip ties going through the 5.25" drive holes (you're not occupying all the slots for a general use PC are you?) and stick-on cable ties along the bottom of the case and will keep the appearance clean.
You may also want to replace those (60mm?) fans with at least 92mm if you want the PC to be quiet. Anything more than a dual-core at load in there and the fans will ramp up to notably high levels.
Yeah, it's a mess inside but since it's not mine ... so like I have said, I'm gonna strip out all the old stuff out this case and get it all cleaned out. Yup, the fans are 60mm and I'd like to buy new ones but I wonder if 92mm size will fit where old ones were?

No, I'm not going to occupy all the slots - at least 2 or 3 slots will be used whic is enough for me. This week I'll be disassembling the case pieces to paint seperately then put them back with new rivits.