Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2012, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
I would switch the OCZ PSU to something more reliable. XFX, Corsair, Seasonic are the most reliable brands.
Do you REALLY need the ULTIMATE version of Windows 7? I suggest the Professional version.
Did you check the CFM ratings on those fans? Noise levels? Anything 20db and lower is quiet. Anything higher is....questionably noisy. ( depends on your ears and environment I guess )
Yeah the cfm is what attracted me to the fans it seemed like the greatest value. I wasn't afraid of noise considering the speeds could be adjusted under RIVA customization and the front panel of the case. It is somthing im sure i can change when i get there if it sounds rediculous though. I chose ultimate for encription and user control of application rights out the box. It was something I've considerd downgrading from though. The psu had pretty good ratings, is it really not worth it, I was trying to go for value here, but maybe I was wrong.

Last edited by SIMPLYTECHNICAL; March 4, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old March 8, 2012, 11:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPLYTECHNICAL View Post
Well actually my wife and I won the:
- Intel® Core™ i7-3960X "Unlocked" (ARV US$1,050.00)
- Intel® Desktop Board DX79SI (ARV US$280.00)
- Intel® 510 Series 250 GB SATA Version 3 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive (ARV US$682.00)
- Intel® Thermal Solution RTS2011LC (ARV US$110.00)
and the $3,300 is also part of the prize to choose the rest of the build and we have to use it for this particular build, I was really wondering about the Adobe mercury engines myself. Am I not going to be able to go anywhere with the 7970's? I really wish the 600 series was out. Here's another concept of additional items I came up with, what do you think? I was thinking of using my tax return money to buy this monitor out of pocket... the DELL U2711
Old March 10, 2012, 01:33 AM
Allstar

Your shopping cart should include some things and then some are just preferences:
1) RAM: 4x4 16GB 1600hz CL9. $80 priority
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX
2) Decide on how much space you need to store your files. 1, 2 or 3TBs. WD Caviar Blacks. Important but not a priority.
3)Light-on 24x DVD writer or even blue-ray.
4) PSU: Seasonic 1250 Gold, 1000 or 860 Platinum. Or even (luxury) two PSUs depending on how much video cards you want and how much you will overclock them.
5) PC case: CM Cosmos II or a cheaper Rosewill Thor V2, or if you will go for two PSUs, Silverstone TJ11 or the cheaper Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra.
6) Monitor: one two or three for eyefinity gaming. You can go for higher resolutions but most stay at 1080P. You can go for IPS but a gamer prefers faster response. Enter 120hz monitors but don't get 3D unless you will get Nvidia cards. My favorite Asus model seems to be discontinued. You can also go for a Panny Plasma
Newegg.com - Panasonic Viera 50" Class (49.9" Diag.) 1080p Full HD 3D Plasma TV TC-P50ST50
7) Speakers or headset: or both, or go to town!
Newegg.com - KEF KHT3005K2 KHT3005 (Black) Speaker System w/ Kube-2 Subwoofer
8) Mouse & Keyboard: Best mouse: Steelseries Sensei. Best Keyboard: DAS Model S SIlent Professional.

other stuff for Luxury:
1) HD 7970 Video card or two, or three 558x3= $1674
Newegg.com - PowerColor AX7970 3GBD5-2DHV2 Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
2)Sound card if you don't go for three video cards. audiophile class $185 or a cheaper game oriented Xonar 7.1.
Newegg.com - ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
3)You can get away with three video cards and a sound card if you go for the Powercolor Liquid cooled $800
Newegg.com - PowerColor LCS AX7970 3GBD5-W2DH Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Last edited by Luay79; March 10, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:47 PM
Rookie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
No added value with the 7970
PSU is overkill
Ram is too fast
120Gb SSD for OS is not enough with CS
You need scratch disks
Blacks are great, but not for storing data

With your 3300$ budget, you could easily fit in 2 U2711.
I've been experimenting and invested in a U3011 for a monitor, a nice lady at dell gave it to me for $1,000. (if you want her contact info just ask) What do you think about the build now? (Keeping in mind the items Intel is already providing) I'm headed down on the 29th this month. I'm crossing my fingers that the Nvidia Keplers come out by then.
Old March 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

For video editing you'll get most of your noticeable performance boosts from SSDs and RAM considering you've already got your core components. I'd opt for 32gb of RAM and as much SSD space as you can afford (Have some high-capacity, not necessarily fast, HDDs for storage and backup though). RAM and SSDs seem to be getting cheaper by the day, so it shouldn't break your budget to maximize these 2 features.
I would think IPS panels are a must, and those Dell UltraSharp U2410 seem to be the standard.
Go with whatever case you like and can fit your components (Cosmos is a fine choice).
If you're planning on OCing the processor and want to err on the safe side, it might be worth investing in one of Corsair's liquid cooling solutions (h100 would be more than enough).
For video cards I would recommend a single card solution that can output to however many monitors you decide you need (probably at least 2). Nvidia 570 for Mercury playback, as mentioned earlier, or a workstation card (Quadro).
You really don't need redundant PSUs and 1000w is borderline overkill for a single GPU and mild overclocking on that board. Just go with a respected brand like Corsair or Seasonic
Old March 18, 2012, 02:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philth View Post
For video editing you'll get most of your noticeable performance boosts from SSDs and RAM considering you've already got your core components. I'd opt for 32gb of RAM and as much SSD space as you can afford (Have some high-capacity, not necessarily fast, HDDs for storage and backup though). RAM and SSDs seem to be getting cheaper by the day, so it shouldn't break your budget to maximize these 2 features.
I would think IPS panels are a must, and those Dell UltraSharp U2410 seem to be the standard.
Go with whatever case you like and can fit your components (Cosmos is a fine choice).
If you're planning on OCing the processor and want to err on the safe side, it might be worth investing in one of Corsair's liquid cooling solutions (h100 would be more than enough).
For video cards I would recommend a single card solution that can output to however many monitors you decide you need (probably at least 2). Nvidia 570 for Mercury playback, as mentioned earlier, or a workstation card (Quadro).
You really don't need redundant PSUs and 1000w is borderline overkill for a single GPU and mild overclocking on that board. Just go with a respected brand like Corsair or Seasonic
Thanks for the input. Considering I'm also a gamer I was sticking in the 500 series realm over the workstation cards. I know that evga has the 90 day step up program so I chose the most expensive classified evga card to step up from to the keplars when they come out. My wife easily uses over 17 gigs of ram in after effects so I cant go skimpy on that. Also the cooling solution is part of the prize package so I cant step away from the Intel solution. In my last update I did mention that I bought a dell u3011, so a monitor is no longer an issue here. So you'd suggest more than the two Intel ssd's? I was planning to raid the Intel 510 250gb that comes with the prize with the Intel 520 240gb. Do you think I'll have issue with that setup?
Old March 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unless you really really need a 10 slot case, I highly suggest this: Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV01-BW Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
99% of the time, you won't have issues with RAID just due to the fact that the two SSDs are slightly different.

That HDD is a bad choice and bad value (not to mention out of stock). If you need to find more money to add any additional SSDs/HHDs/or a Raid card, you can tone down the $500 on "gaming" peripherals.

P.S. Luck you :D
Old March 18, 2012, 04:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Unless you really really need a 10 slot case, I highly suggest this: Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV01-BW Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
99% of the time, you won't have issues with RAID just due to the fact that the two SSDs are slightly different.

That HDD is a bad choice and bad value (not to mention out of stock). If you need to find more money to add any additional SSDs/HHDs/or a Raid card, you can tone down the $500 on "gaming" peripherals.

P.S. Luck you :D
I have a corsair 1000 right now, and it works great when I'm traveling with the media team. I just chose the 2000 for its ultra portability. Ill work on the storage like you said. What don't you like about the Hitachi's by the way??? I heard they're a great IBM manufactured brand with allot of reliability.

Last edited by SIMPLYTECHNICAL; March 18, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old March 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPLYTECHNICAL View Post
I have a corsair 1000 right now, and it works great when I'm traveling with the media team. I just chose the 2000 for its ultra portability. Ill work on the storage like you said. What don't you like about the Hitachi's by the way??? I heard they're a great IBM manufactured brand with allot of reliability.
Nothing specific against Hitachi as I don't know much about them, but $180 for a 2TB 7200 RPM drive is a lot more than the prices I've been seeing for 2TB drives. Heard really good things about the 3TB drives if you want to invest a few extra bucks. A computer case that HUGE doesn't really fit with the word ultra portability... but I guess you mean the carrying handles, not the 47lbs it weighs.
Old March 18, 2012, 07:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

dont get the Thermal Solution RTS2011LC for 110, you can get a corsair h100 for the same price, but I would recommend a high end air cooler instead because I believe the self contrained watercoolers are too expensive for what you get, but if you must get one then get the h100

Tags
2012 pc , 3960x , budget , custom build , newegg