Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default New Build for the next gen

Well I want to upgrade my old 775 system and get into the greatness of the sandy bridge (or should I wait for IVY? When does it come out?) ssd's, phat resolutions and greatness all over again,

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

- For work and I would like to get back into gaming, it made me happy and possibly 3D Movies.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

- Hoping to keep it under 1k, I will go higher if it's worth it

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

- Canada of course :) Newegg possibly.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

- Intel fanboy, WD fanboy, nvidia fanboy but I want to use the beast of my 6870X2 (Thanks again guys!)

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

- I want to use my case as it's pretty good, just need to clean it out. My power supply as well, it's been good to me and my hard drives for backup storage, I would like to put 2 2TB Blacks in raid1 (bought them before the flooding)

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

I've looked around to see what people are building nowadays and would like to be one of them!

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

I do want to overclock, I would love to hit 5Ghz but I would settle for 4Ghz.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

- Within the next six months

9. What resolution do you use?

- 1024 x 768 at the moment but I have a 23" monitor I want to use, then upgrade to a led lcd 3D Monitor or if there is a good deal I'll buy a 40" or higher LCD 3D tv in the living room.

So basically I'm going to need a good cpu, good motherboard, good ram, good ssd (Would like to install some games on it) and good cooling, is a pre-built water cooler better then air? I'm a little concerned about it cause if it was to fail I may not know and may ruin my cpu. So I might just stick with a phat ass heatsink and put some fans on it. So can you guys suggest me some builds? The SSD I would like it to be big, lowfat mentioned yesterday the 520's where going to go down $100 bucks so the bigger the better I would have to say here :) I appreciate any help you guys offer, your all awesome and I love that this is a Canadian forum.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

MB: Asus P8Z68-V Pro - $210ish
RAM: Gskill 8gig Dual channel kit...about $50 DDR3 1600
CPU: i7-2500K $210ish
SSD: You want big so Crucial M4 256 @ $400....Intel 520 240GB are still $500.
Cooler: if water, Corsair H80 $110, if air, Noctua NH-U12 $70

that puts you at $1070.....if you are good with a 128Gig SSD that drops to $220 for an M4 128 for a total of $850 and then you can add elsewhere.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razamatraz View Post
MB: Asus P8Z68-V Pro - $210ish
RAM: Gskill 8gig Dual channel kit...about $50 DDR3 1600
CPU: i7-2500K $210ish
SSD: You want big so Crucial M4 256 @ $400....Intel 520 240GB are still $500.
Cooler: if water, Corsair H80 $110, if air, Noctua NH-U12 $70

that puts you at $1070.....if you are good with a 128Gig SSD that drops to $220 for an M4 128 for a total of $850 and then you can add elsewhere.
Are these all good overclocking pieces? If I drop to a 128gb SSD should I get the 2600k? What would overclock better a 2500 or 2600
Old February 29, 2012, 11:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

They are both quite capable overclockers, the 2600K is not really worth the extra $100 unless you have software that makes good use of hyperthreading.

That board is...a mid-high level board. Should do fairly well, to get much better you'd have to go the Maximus which means $150 more. That might get you a bit more overclock, but you are paying a lot for it.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:51 AM
Rookie

If you want 3D, the new ATI 79XX are good cards
Old March 1, 2012, 04:30 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroponica View Post
If you want 3D, the new ATI 79XX are good cards
he just won the power color 6870 x2 so i think hes set for a while
Old March 2, 2012, 10:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Is there any gigabyte boards that are this gen that are good overclockers? I believe I just seen a board on linus tech tips that had a button that automatically overclocked?
Old March 3, 2012, 08:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Is there any gigabyte boards that are this gen that are good overclockers? I believe I just seen a board on linus tech tips that had a button that automatically overclocked?
I still need more help deciding, would it just be better to save up and say build in six months? When does IVY come out?
Old March 3, 2012, 09:42 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

a lot of boards have the auto overclock asus, msi, gigabyte, and a few others so thats not really an exclusive thing but i read some test between them all and the asus utility won. but as for the release of ivy i think its April for desktops and June for mobile or maybe the other way around. but sandy is plenty fast hell a stock i5 2500k destroys my 1090t at 4ghz in pretty much everything, and ivy really isnt going to be any faster itll just have a lower tdp and overclock higher oh and that new fancy hd 4000 intel graphics but theyre still ganna be trash and its not like your ganna use them. so id say just go for sandy with a z68 board and a good cooler and overclock the hell out of it and enjoy your computer sooner rather than later.