Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2012, 05:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default upgrade SSD to bigger SSD

Howdy and thanks for stopping by.

I'm currently running my OS and programs and a few games on a Intel X25 G2 80GB and I have the opportunity to upgrade, so I was thinking I'd like a bigger SSD.

I've been looking at the Corsair Force GT 240GB and the Corsair Force 3 240GB.

I am only running SATA 2 for now, but that will eventually change.

Should I be looking at other brands? excluding OCZ (my own anti fanboyism)

All my mass storage is on my fileserver, so there's very little in the way of videos/music/pictures on this pc.

Cheers for any thoughts!

Old February 27, 2012, 06:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can afford it go with the Intel 520 240GB. I know if I was getting one right now that is the one I would get.

Old February 27, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Of the two you listed....the GT by a country mile. The Force 3 uses ONFi 1 NAND...thus the performance boost over what you got will be only minor to moderate. Force GT uses ONFi 2 NAND....its much faster and a decent choice.

But, the Intel 520 is indeed my "go to" drive of choice for SF2281 drives. My other is the Crucial M4 and Corsair Performance PRO model. All three are good choices. All three will be hit by a performance penalty by running in SATA 2 mode. All 3 do NOT need TRIM to stay fast so if you got even a 3rd party SATA 6gb/s controller....use it (unlike any other SF2281 drive out there that I know of....the Intel 520 has a toolbox that can do "manual trim" cleaning to keep it nice and FAST).

Hope that helps

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 27, 2012, 08:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks for the posts guys. I do like the Intel toobox, I'm using it with my current one. But I don't like the Intel price. So if I forget the Intel one and its $200 dollar price difference, M4 or a Performance Pro? It seems like on paper the Force GT is faster for reading maybe there's something I'm missing.