Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
MVP

Default New build....advice welcomed

Well it has been a while since I came here.

I have been saving and saving for a good build and I need your help deciding on a few parts. I use ONLY CORSAIR, INTEL, AND ATI BASED VIDEO CARDS. Just to make that clear. This will be a gaming computer and used for maybe a little video editing.

Case: Corsair 650D

Hard Drives: 4 x Intel 520 120GB SSD's ( Already bought ), 3 x 3GB Western Digitals Greens for storage.

Video card: Undecided. Either a 7970 or a couple 7950's. XFX perfered.

RAM: Depends on the mobo and CPU. 16GB for now, 32GB for later. Corsair Vengeance Red 1866. Not bought yet

Cooling: Corsair H100, 1 200mm Bitfenix red fan for the front, 2 x Red 120 BF Pros for the H100 in push/pull, 1 red non pro BF 120mm for the rear end.

Power Supply: Corsair AX850 should suffice.

ODD: LG Bluray

Mods: I think that a strip or two of the red Bitfenix LED strips should suffice.

Now here is the issue....Have trouble deciding where to go with the INTEL platform. 1155 or 2011.

I want future proof and that, to me, would point to the 2011. However I am being told that it is a power hog and hot and that 1155 would be a better choice. Money is not important right now so I will not say what the budget is....plus I spend HOURS pricematching everything.

SO ladies and germs.....how would you advise me?

Please keep it civil.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old February 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hi Mena. WOW looks like an awesome rig. A dream rig to many :)

I think 1155 is recommended because the Ivy Bridge next gen cpu from intell will also use the 1155 socket. Aslo I may be wrong but I believe the 2011 socket offers pcie lanes in 16x,16x as opposed to 8x,8x when running crossfire so might be a little better for a crossfire setup.
Old February 26, 2012, 01:41 PM
MVP

Thank you for that advice Pabz0r545.

Sorry but what is Ivy Bridge? An upcoming 1155 Tech?

EDIT: Stupid me.....you explained it. Sorry for my stupidity.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old February 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ivy Bridge is the upcoming die shrink of the current Sandy Bridge platform. It will use the same sockets as 1155 and 2011 (for IB-E).

I would recommend going for 2011. The new Ivy Bridge-E will also be compatible with 2011. The 3820 is a great quad-core, 8 thread processor. Read the HWC review here
That processor should retail for approx $320, and a 2011 board should run you anywhere from $260 to $470, depending on how much you want to spend. If money is no object, go for the 3930 SB-E CPU. It's a $600 chip, but you get 6 cores and 12 threads. The beauty of SB-E is that it gives you 40 lanes of PCI-E connectivity, so if you ever want to crossfire your cards AND have a RAID controller, you'll have no problems there. As far as heat production is concerned, it won't be anything that the Corsair H100 can't handle. It's always nice having a watercooling unit that expels all that heat outside of your case! SB-E will also run quad channel RAM (which is much more conducive to large amounts of RAM i.e. 32GB)

Speaking of RAID, I'm assuming you'll want to run your 3 intel SSD's in a RAID configuration. I'm not an expert on RAID, so someone else will have to chime in. I do know that PCI-E RAID controllers are a popular option (another reason for the SB-E and it's insane number of PCI lanes)

Other than that, hopefully Eldonko appears to convince you further on the merits of SB-E. Linus is also experienced with the use of RAID controllers.

EDIT: Oh, and while 2 7950's will give you better FPS than 1 7970 putting in 1 7970 will allow you to Crossfire another 7970 at a later date, if you wish. Which, considering how awesome this rig will be, shouldn't be outside of the realm of possibility.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
MVP

Hmm.... a hardware RAID solution is an excellent idea. Any suggestions that will use a PCI Express Slot 1x? Is it true that they slow down bootup time?

Old February 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't recommend running crossfire in that case without water cooling, it is known to be a bit of a hotbox and to run CFX on air you need some pretty good airflow especially if you don't have optimal spacing on your Mobo.

I recommend socket 2011, might as well give er hell if you are running 2x 7970/7950
Old February 26, 2012, 07:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If money is no issue I would say go 2011.

Also, I urge you to reconsider the 650D in favour of the 800D, for extra watercooling room. You are running some SERIOUS hardware and I think you should consider a full custom loop to cool your cpu and gpu(s). Dazmode offers a really good triple radiator kit for about 350 (with upgrades), plus ~ 120 for a full cover video card block.

If money is no issue then you'll not only want good lookin and good preforming hardware; you want it QUIET!!
Old February 26, 2012, 07:25 PM
Allstar

I suggest switch out that LG Bluray for something else.
Old February 26, 2012, 08:29 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
I suggest switch out that LG Bluray for something else.
Very interesting. May I ask why you say this? I have had zero issues with LG drives.....unlike their refrigerators. LOL!!!!

I was considering the 800D but it is way too big. I have a friend that just build a PC with that monster. YIKES! LOL!

Hmm....the 800D is only $50 more. I just might take that up at Tigerdirect.ca. Good advice. Thank you.

EDIT: crud.....to dear for my taste for just a case. Gonna look around for a pricematch for it.

Last edited by Mena; February 26, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:23 PM
Allstar

It's personal experience, I had 2 dead LG DVD that died within a year. Another member had his/her Bluray died right after 1 year warranty mark.