Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2012, 11:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Case Branding

So just another question here. Now, I'm not asking for anyone to pick a case out, I'm capable of that. However, there's quite a few brands some of which I've never even heard of until I started browsing around to actually find one. So my question is are there any brands that I should just stay away from? Last thing i want is to spend all this money on hardware, and then get a cheap case thats worth less the cardboard it came in.

Last edited by LordHood2; February 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Grammar mistakes
Old February 25, 2012, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

bitfenix is the way to go for a cheaper case. nzxt i would stay away from, they are a little cheaper feeling.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:16 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Of course, there's gonna be reviews about the products that you read about. Just read the reviews before making a purchase and don't feel afraid to ask questions. Usually, you get what you paid for, if you cheap out. Guess what? You'll get a cheap product.

My question is.. What brands have you NOT heard of?
Old February 26, 2012, 12:40 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0mad View Post
Of course, there's gonna be reviews about the products that you read about. Just read the reviews before making a purchase and don't feel afraid to ask questions. Usually, you get what you paid for, if you cheap out. Guess what? You'll get a cheap product.

My question is.. What brands have you NOT heard of?
The thing with that statement, is if he has not heard of the brand, how can he tell you
Old February 26, 2012, 12:41 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

This is gunna be a long list..
Azza, Compucase, Cougar, Diablotek, Enermax, Foxconn, In Win, Raidmax, Senety, Sunbeam Xclio, Xion and Zalman Tech. (I literally had NewEgg open on the side, and listed all the brands I had not heard of until recently)

Theres other brands that I hear of but didn't know made cases. A few of the above listed have some ok looking cases. (I probably wont use any of them, but they're there). The main thing I was looking for was a case that had at least one top-mounted slot for a 120mm+ size fan. Cooling wise, having a fan at the top of the case makes the most sense. All the hot air is gunna collect there anyways. Since posting this I've more or less decided on the case I already have chosen, which would be the Cooler Master Elite 430. Dont really care for the window, but its one of the few black interior cases, and one of the few with a top fan.

Last edited by LordHood2; February 26, 2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: relevance
Old February 26, 2012, 12:47 AM
Allstar

If you're a gamer, I'd look for a case with a 120 or 140mm side fan, 2 front intakes and one rear exhaust. Top fan is good too but a good CPU cooler can substitute it as a top intake fan. Then again if you'll settle with one video card that might be overkill.

What's the rest of your build? I'm sure many here can narrow the choices once they know.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:57 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well heres the rest of my planned build:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA990FXA
PSU: Corsair GS600 (Already own)
CPU: AMD FX4100
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
RAM: 16GB(x4 4GB) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 500GB 7200RPM (not a permanent primary drive, will go with an SSD at a later point, and use this as storage. Also the HDD itself may change as prices continue to drop)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60
Media: Samsung CD/DVD Read/Writer/Rewriter.
Extra: Some kind of fan controller maybe. Suggestions?(preferably not the NZXT Sentry)

As you may or may not have guessed by looking at the parts, I'm going for a blacked out theme on this build. Blue lighting will accent everything (the fact that my case comes with a blue LED 120mm fan, and that my PSU has a blue LED fan kinda decided the blue lighting).
Old February 26, 2012, 01:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

To be honest, the brand of the case isn't an issue; the build quality is. I mean, you probably have never heard of Mountain Mod cases, but those things are well built. So, if I were you, I would look pass the branding portion and see which cases suit your needs and wants.

-Plato
Old February 26, 2012, 01:28 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
To be honest, the brand of the case isn't an issue; the build quality is. I mean, you probably have never heard of Mountain Mod cases, but those things are well built. So, if I were you, I would look pass the branding portion and see which cases suit your needs and wants.
Well that again goes back to brands I would think, as certain brands have higher/lower build quality then others.
Old February 26, 2012, 01:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The main thing I was looking for was a case that had at least one top-mounted slot for a 120mm+ size fan. Cooling wise, having a fan at the top of the case makes the most sense. All the hot air is gunna collect there anyways. Since posting this I've more or less decided on the case I already have chosen, which would be the Cooler Master Elite 430. Dont really care for the window, but its one of the few black interior cases, and one of the few with a top fan.
I'd get a HAF912 instead. It's more expensive than the 430, but it has more cooling options. But then again, I believe that cases are somewhat more personal, since some people like the HAF design language while others despise it.

-Plato