Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2012, 01:05 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
I'd get a HAF912 instead. It's more expensive than the 430, but it has more cooling options. But then again, I believe that cases are somewhat more personal, since some people like the HAF design language while others despise it.
I was considering a HAF*** case, but like you said it is more expensive. Personally I dont think I need a HAF for this build. And from what I've been able to find on the case i have chosen, it should last me for a while and suit my needs.
Old February 26, 2012, 06:19 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if you have decided on a budget for a case, though your last post hints at one. If you are not a big fan of the window on the CM Elite 430, what about the CM 690 II? Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case It is pricier, but has the blue LED front fan, top fan and blacked out interior without the window.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old February 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

NZXT make some really good cases, I know plenty of folks that own one.

NZXT Source 210 Elite is one that is very good in pretty much every regard, and lower cost as well, there is few low cost cases that will match it in regards to included fans, cooling, space and such.
Another Akasa Venom is a good one.

Myself, I love my Raven 3, or Carbide 500R
Old February 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Not sure if you have decided on a budget for a case, though your last post hints at one. If you are not a big fan of the window on the CM Elite 430, what about the CM 690 II? Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case It is pricier, but has the blue LED front fan, top fan and blacked out interior without the window.

I guess I should've looked at more cases, because that one more closely suits my needs. And isn't all that much more then the case I have honestly. And, I can easily justify spending a tad more by saying "this case will have to last me a while, and I dont want it breaking or only being useful once".

My first choice in a case was an NZXT Phantom, but that case is huge and i dont need all that. :P

EDIT:

On that note, the NZXT Source is the same price as the current CM case I have, but without the window, and is all white. Would look smexy with an all black hardware set up. Add in some nice looking Blue LEDs?

Last edited by LordHood2; February 26, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:22 AM
MVP

What you need is a mid-tower case. Side fan is optional but not that necessary for a single HD6870. I'd say get what you personally like and don't go over $90 because there isn't much critical cooling that needs to be done on your build.

CM HAF912 or CM690II, Antec Three hundred Two, Rosewill Chalenger.
Old February 27, 2012, 05:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
What you need is a mid-tower case. Side fan is optional but not that necessary for a single HD6870. I'd say get what you personally like and don't go over $90 because there isn't much critical cooling that needs to be done on your build.

CM HAF912 or CM690II, Antec Three hundred Two, Rosewill Chalenger.
I wasn't looking at anything larger/smaller then a mid-tower case anyways. :P Having a little bit of flexibility as far as cooling goes is better, since at some point in the distant future, I'll have 2 GPUs of some sort. I'm starting to get a *tad* picky with cases, mainly little things. A couple things that are a turn off for me right now are (a): Low/nonexistent case feet. Since my rig will be sitting on a carpeted floor(not a plush carpet, more like tighter-nit, firmer carpet), the feet need to be able to keep the case elevated since it will sink slightly. Kinda need space under the case for a bottom mounted PSU intake. The other thing, again a little thing, is (b): Front panel IO/Status LEDs/Power & Reset switches being attatched to the front bezel and not the chassis. Makes doing anything on the front of the case a pain because you either have to hang the bezel by the wires or find some other way to support it, or unplug all the front panel cables from the motherboard. Neither of which I'm to eager to do.

I feel kinda easily manipulated right now, because every time I look at cases and read a reply to the thread, I find something else I like/dislike about a particular case, and switch to a different one.. For that reason I think I'll pick a case that I know I'll like, order it, and take it off my wish list so I stop obsessing over it.
Old February 27, 2012, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Umm... as for case feet, you can take a look at the Azza Helios 910. Lots of room for fans and such, meshed front panel.

The only bad thing is that the 230mm side fan WILL block 120mm heatsinks.

-Plato
Old March 2, 2012, 05:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think I've confused everyone enough with my constant opinion changes... d'oh! Think I"ll spend a little bit of time looking at a wider variety of cases, until I find one I like. That being said however, I think it will probably end up being one of the cases mentioned somewhere in this thread. Its not like I haven't spent anytime looking at cases, and the ones mentioned thus far are all ones I'd like. Guess its time to play favorites!
Old March 2, 2012, 05:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

HAF all the way

Like I said...big fan of the HAF cases...not that there is anything wrong with the others mentioned
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old March 2, 2012, 05:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Lol, I was considering a HAF over almost anything else. Nice thing about a HAF is that as far as cooling goes, they offer the most flexibility in my opinion. Always nice to have options, especially when you know you'll be upgrading the system in the future.