Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2012, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Spare PC Build for the wife/friend

Just wanted to share the specs and see thoughts suggestions and improvements I can make to this. It's quite the budget build for her to play her crappy games on, and so my friend doesn't have to lug his pc/monitor around. Mainly curious what you think about the SSD and intels SRT.

i3 2120
Corsair H60
EVGA z68 SLi Micro
8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 cl9
XFX 6850 Black Edition
Seagate Barracuda 1tb
(possibly 60 gb Patriot Pyro SE for Intel SRT)
OCZ Fatal1ty 550w
LG optical dvd
Broadway ComCorp 30 dolla mATX case
Old February 27, 2012, 12:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Other than the processor this is a solidly mid level gaming build and even the 2310 is pretty decent. If it's just for "her crappy games" I'm wondering why you even need to consider the SSD...It'll help with boot time but won't do much for a crappy little game, I'd probably put that coin into a quad core processor, or keep it for beer. In Edmonton i5-2310s are on for $180 right now.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razamatraz View Post
Other than the processor this is a solidly mid level gaming build and even the 2310 is pretty decent. If it's just for "her crappy games" I'm wondering why you even need to consider the SSD...It'll help with boot time but won't do much for a crappy little game, I'd probably put that coin into a quad core processor, or keep it for beer. In Edmonton i5-2310s are on for $180 right now.
i3 trades blows with an AMD quad, so it is plenty for gaming.
Old February 27, 2012, 05:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Being form Edmonton myself I have seen a couple of great deals on Kijiji for a couple of used packages for the board and motherboard on the AMD side if you get lucky. Other wise a AMD package may just be the better way to go.
Old February 27, 2012, 05:41 PM
Allstar

Corsair H60 for a budget build? Seem a bit overkill to me. Swap OCZ power supply with Antec or Enermax or some other brand. 1TB drive is not really needed unless she store a lot of media files. If you got an old 500GB in your rig, you can swap it.
Old February 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You are right razamatraz I think the SSD is totally overkill. I just really wanted to test out the Intel SRT. I could easily do away without having one since it is for my girl and my 1 pc gaming friend LOL. I'm gonna scratch that from the list, it's completely un necessary and will save me some $$. :) thx for the suggestion.

I got the mobo on kijiji for 80 bucks. Hell of a deal. And the H60 was left over from my main computer when I upgraded to an H100. Same deal with the 1tb HDD. Just never used it for my system and just stuck with a lonely SSD. Out of all the parts these are what I already had to start with: PSU, RAM, CASE, CPU Cooler, HDD. I had to buy the vid card(100 kijiji), cpu(125 retail) and mobo(80 kijiji).

Is swapping the power supply really necessary? Again I had this power supply kickin around for at least 6 months. I'd like to use it because it's a modular and this build is literally going to be in the smallest tower you could possibly fit a gaming machine in. If necessary I will swap it out for an Antec as they seem to have better prices then some of it's competitors.

Thanks for the input :)

*EDIT* Sorry piderman. I won't ever rock an AMD cpu :P. One of my clan mates is gung ho about AMD (SUPER FANBOY) and I just have too much fun razzing him about his choice of hardware, so I could never go AMD after that :P
Old February 29, 2012, 12:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have a couple of those PSU's, they work fine for light duty/test bench use. I wouldn't try to run a GTX580 on one though. :)