Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2012, 04:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo help needed

Now I know this will sound like a very stupid question but in my case the instruction manual is less than clear when it comes to telling you how to adjust the little x-shaped pressure mechanism on top of the heatsink's base. I'll admit this is my first time using an aftermarket cooler as I am about to install it in my new rig.

As you know the x-shaped bracket (or retention plate as it is called in the manual) has a little screw in the center surrounded by a metal spring. This little bolt goes into a hole at the top of the heatsink's base, right? Well, my questions is this: is one supposed to screw the little bolt into the hole? Do you turn it until it tightens the retention plate or does on just leave it there until you screw in the rest of the bolts on the motherboard itself?

Again, i know this might sound very, very stupid to 99.9% of you but this is my first time doing it, so I would appreciate some advice on the matter

Thanks
Old February 16, 2012, 04:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Loosen the bolt in the middle of the x bracket so it is just threaded in, then install and tighten bracket to the cooler/mobo. The center bolt is to up the pressure on your CPU, when fully tightened it is 70LBS of pressure. I have run 3 different thermalright coolers with this function, and it adds a few C with it tightened all the way.
Old February 16, 2012, 05:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok..... so I really don't have to screw in the bolt in the center of the bracket then? OK
Old February 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

If I recall correctly the spring in the centre of the x bracket on the 212 evo is to increase the tension on the adjustment points so that the x will better stay in the set position. All the force put on the cpu on the 212 evo is supplied by the 4 spring loaded screws on each end of the x bracket. If you would like sankukai I would be willing to pull apart my folding rid tomorrow and do an installation guide of the 212 evo and upload it to my youtube channel. My system is AMD but I would explain how to do Intel sockets as well since the process is very similar. Just let me know and I'll get right to making a video.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.

Last edited by Silent_Avenger; February 16, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old March 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
Trial Member

Default Noob Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
If I recall correctly the spring in the centre of the x bracket on the 212 evo is to increase the tension on the adjustment points so that the x will better stay in the set position. All the force put on the cpu on the 212 evo is supplied by the 4 spring loaded screws on each end of the x bracket. If you would like sankukai I would be willing to pull apart my folding rid tomorrow and do an installation guide of the 212 evo and upload it to my youtube channel. My system is AMD but I would explain how to do Intel sockets as well since the process is very similar. Just let me know and I'll get right to making a video.
If you could please as I have the same problem.

I have a AMD X6 1100t OC'ed to 3.6 and it over heats and reboots my computer. I have read other forums, about how good the 212 is so I know I have done something wrong.

Please post A link
Thank You For Your Time
Old March 14, 2012, 07:35 AM
Rookie

Nothing against the guy offering, but there's already videos on Youtube to save him and you guys some time:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Installation - YouTube
Old March 14, 2012, 08:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMutt View Post
If you could please as I have the same problem.

I have a AMD X6 1100t OC'ed to 3.6 and it over heats and reboots my computer. I have read other forums, about how good the 212 is so I know I have done something wrong.

Please post A link
Thank You For Your Time
It's a little long but I tried to go into as much detail as possible.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Installation Guide(Full explanation and walkthrough) - YouTube

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.