Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2012, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default fan questions

i have a few questions about the way fans are set up now, whats the differences in the ball bearing and the fluid dynamic filled ones?

and the second part of my question is how to you mount them differently? are some better vertical and are some better horizontal? just need some ideas bc i am getting some new fans and just wanted to know if there is a differences and what are the best places and how to mount them .

these are the fans i am thinking about getting
Newegg.com - SilenX EFX-12-15 120mm Case Fan
or these for the ball bearing ones?
Newegg.com - Thermaltake DuraMax 12 AF0060 120mm Case Fan

if you guys could just give me a idea of what i am looking at> and what are better for my case its a haf 922
Old February 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anatomy of Computer Fans | Hardware Secrets
I'm sure you'll get a few opinions on brands - I haven't found a favourite yet. I use Scythe fluid dynamic bearing type fans I my Antec case as they have less vibration than the stock Antec ones.

Any fan type can be mounted vertically.

For horizontal mount you essentially want to avoid sleeve bearing as the oil will drift downwards and wear out the bearing early. Ball bearings may sound a little louder but last a lot longer horizontally mounted. The "added" noise from bearings is made worse by screwing the fan directly to the sheet metal of the case, so I recommend groomets or other rubber mounting if you're concerned enough about fan noise to post about it.