Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2012, 07:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New-ish build specific advice needed!

Hello Hello!!!

I'll start by explaining what i need to do, followed up by what i currently have and *think* i need to replace, then hopefully one of you chaps/chappettes, will be able to help me.

So i'm currently a student and i need to turn my current computer into something capable of running 5-6 VMs that aren't dialed down to ridiculously low specs (like under a gig of ram etc etc). That being said when i built this machine, i made one massive mistake i cheaped out on the mobo, and it's been biting me in the ass ever since, without further a-do my setup:

i7 2600k
850w power supply(modular if it makes a difference)
Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3
msi gtx 570
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-24 1.5V Memory Kit
OCZ Vertex 3 128gb as my boot ssd
another 1.5tb of hard drives neither of which is sata 3

I don't think i'm missing much that matter case and audio card don't really matter, in terms of what i think needs to be changed. mobo for sure, more ram? since its 2x4 i was wondering whether i should just get rid of it and try to buy 4x8gb or would that just be overkill? I really don't know much about what's on the market these days, last i checked was a year back. After a quick review i finally concluded maybe
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO my budget for mobo is around 200$, anything else you suggest budget wise i'd say add MAX 300$ more for anything else.

Well that's the gist of it, thanks in advance

Erik
Old February 9, 2012, 02:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

well, I would see how much RAM your system is currently using, MOST users only need 8gb, you are better to get dual larger sticks then 4 smaller sticks for performance reasons, however, the smaller capacity sticks are usually alot easier to find.
If you are already using Gskill ram, just add another kit of the same stuff for like $40, you then have 16gb of installed ram which should be plenty more then you need, not to mention, the GBXM kits are exceptionally good, quite low cost, and are very nice for overclocking purposes. 2 kits of the same stuff=4 total sticks=16gb usable ram.

If you really are into getting the best performance from your system, set a paging file per harddrive/SSD in use on the system, the Initial size should be set for 1.5x the total installed Physical memory, the Maximum size set for 3x total. I have 8gb installed memory, I have Initial set for 11500mb and maximum set for 17500mb on a partition total size of 20450mb, so its not quite the 1.5x and 3x but is more then enough, and I never run out of virtual memory. its just a suggestion. It will make sure you are getting the most out of your ram, your system, and using the hard drives to thier best ability.

For motherboard. ASUS V or V PRO, the V PRO is a touch better then the standard V but not by much, and you can save like $30 or so, and still get an excellent board no matter what you plan on doing with it(overclocking or what have you) $170 vs $190 or so. FYI not the V LE, V LX, V M, just the standard ASUS P8Z68-V or -V PRO :P

The rest of your build looks ok, though if you have not already, do make sure the SATA is set to AHCI and such, generally it makes sure the SSD is running at its best.
Old February 9, 2012, 03:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hey wow, thank you just the advice i needed, yeah i currently had my pagefile set at 3x the amount, but with 16gb i guess i'll need to get larger hard drives as well lol. i'll have to look into the "SATA is set to AHCI" i actually have no clue how to do this, i'm sure ill find it on this forum, or google will do the trick lol. I was beginning to think no one really had advice for me, i appreciate your time dragon, i realize a lot of posts require most peoples attention.

ps. i can't* find a set of the same 8gb ram 8-8-8-24 for under 80$ -_- (using to shopbot/ncix routine)

=)

Last edited by fearm3now; February 9, 2012 at 03:47 PM.