Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2012, 01:50 PM
Trial Member

Lightbulb Dream PC & Accessories with reasons for choice (New series!) [Part 1]

I know this isn't really the right section but it will be cool :) I promise.

Okay so i'm going to be reasonable, Having 4x7970 in Crossfire isn't a dream PC.... It's an ear bleeder xD My style of a dream PC is one that delivers performance and doesn't wake up the neighbors. So this is my dream PC & accessories.

General
Case: Antec DF-85
Motherboard: G1.Assassin 2
Processor: Intel i7-3960X
Graphics cards: Dual ASUS MARS II (SLI Enabled)
Memory: 4x8GB Patriot Gamer 2 series 1866MHz
Power supply: Antec HCG-900

Accessories
Keyboard: Cyborg V.7
Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 9
Gamepad: Cyborg V.5 Rumble Pad
Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force Z6A

Reason of choice
Case:
I have chosen the Antec DF-85 because of its big space. It could easily fit all of my components in with no hassle. It looks stylish and the features are awesome. I love the fan trays at the front with the air filters making cleaning your fans alot less messy.

Motherboard:
The G1.assassin 2 is just lush. It looks amazing and is a right show off. The little pistol and the sniper barrel is just epic. The main reason is the looks But the 4 channels of memory and support for LGA 2011 are other reasons. It comes with a new style of BIOS called 3-D and is very handy. I may elaborate in the future.

Processor:
As far as i'm aware of the Intel i7-3960X is the most powerful processor that Intel provide for Desktop computer (Please don't rage if i'm wrong just correct me) so the reason is clear on this one :).

Graphics Cards:
Having 4 Gpu's is quite immense itself but having one of the worlds fastest ones is just so cool. The reason I choose the ASUS Mars II is because It will be able to play any game at ultra with a very high resolution on three screens. Maybe not so much if there was only one but having two running in SLI i'm sure it would breeze that with at least 60+ FPS steady.

RAM/Memory:
Very high speed Memory and reliable. Having 32GB of RAM is more than enough for most people and is very useful if your Rendering or running a Dedicated server for games. You cant go wrong with this choice.

Power Supply:
I'm pretty sure that having 900Watts is enough for my Dream PC and ill double check in part two because I haven't looked at the requirements for my CPU and GPU. But the Antec HCG-900 is a very quiet Power supply considering the power it gives off and would fit right in with my case.

My conclusion is that my Dream PC could be improved but it is my personal favorite. The looks are great, The performance is outstanding and the overall result would be gob smacking. Thanks for reading my review/build whatever you want to call it :).

Series Summary:
Part 1: Intro,features & General reasons
Part 2: Accessories reasons
Part 3: HDD & SDD Ect.
Part 4: Water cooling (Products)
Part 5: Colour scheme
Part 6: TBA
Old February 9, 2012, 07:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks good to me
Old February 9, 2012, 07:52 AM
Top Prospect

Have you consider going 2P :)
Old February 9, 2012, 07:53 AM
Lyserberg

I find the Core i7 3960X so excessive even for a Dream PC,a Dream PC should be an incredible match BTW price/perfomance,if you watch the motherboards.org u've probably seen the system that won jerry over at BIOSTAR,a 10 000 BUCKS MACHINE! with dual MARS 2 cards,but at the end of the day they didn't stack up as he hoped,the config barely breaks 90FPS mark in battlefield 3 ( definatly a driver issue) and the 990x was a big bottlenekc for these cards,and the watercooling wasn't antec,or corsair or noctua no no no,it was a completely unknown brand ( i think FALCON),basically a total mess of money
A core i7 3930K unlocked CPU will do just fine,just OC it to 4.6 GHZ and u'll save about 500 dollars just for the same perfomance (overall it's the same both r 6 cores,but one is 500 dollars cheaper than the other)
You're totally wrong about the 7970,this card is not going to wake up neighbors (i got the point) it's newer 28nm architecture with up to 28Watts idle using 4 CARDS IN CROSSFIREX,the power efficiency=7970,also the geometrical processing unit has been totally remade,now it's so fast,Draw distance in games like GTA IV,HAWX2 is no more an issue with this 7 series of cards!
I think that two cards of these 7970,OCed more than 1GHZ on the core,can probably beat TWO MARS 2 (4XGTX580) in some scenarios!!!!!!!!!!!!
PSU is no less than 1050 platinum certification,or 1200 80PLUS GOLD,we know that 900W is enough for the system but unless it's 100% efficient i would worry so much about your system overpowering the PSU,you musn't cheap on the PSU,like a little overhead by buying an 80PLUS GOLD OR PLATINUM 1050+ Modular PSU from corsair or XFX :)
I think that you might want to add a couple of 7970s to the list.
Other than that u pretty much mastered the art!
Dream PC=Newer technology,no matter what u like it or not! (I personally plan on buying one of these they perfom very well)
Old February 9, 2012, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lyserberg, I think you missed the point. This is a dream PC. Therefore price is no object. That's why he went with a 3960.

Anyways, dream PC or not, I think that parts availability should play a part in your dreams. Fact is, the Mars II's were a limited edition run, and are sold out everywhere now. This is why my dream PC would have tri-fire XFX DoubleD Black Edition 7970's in it. Once (if?) the 7990's are released, I would spec two of those! Also, I would change out the motherboard to an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme. For some reason I like red more than green. Odd, right? Oh yeah, and I would change the powersupply to an XFX 1200 80Platinum hybrid.

That would be MY dream PC.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 9, 2012, 08:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Mars 2's are going for $2000+ american, so instead of lighting a handful of $100 bills on fire, wait for newest duel GPU card to be released in the next 3-4 months, or 2 way SLI/CF 580 3GB's, or 7970's if you don't want to wait.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You are going to need more than 900w I personally would not go a hair under a 1200w gold rated PSU. Also I would seriously look at putting this rig under water because 2x Mars II is going to make your ears bleed more so than running 4x 7970 just because the thermal load is so high (putting two of these things next to each other is going to be super hot, you need wicked airflow that i don't think the DF-85 can offer you to make these things run quiet).

HARDOCP - Battlefield 3 - ASUS ROG MARS II GTX 580 Quad SLI Video Card Review

If the Mars II in SLI is being beat by 6990 in CFX I'm thinking the 7970 in quadfire is going to absolutely destroy them, savagely beat them with a board with a nail in it and then shoot them in the head 30 times for good measure.

Sapphire Radeon 7970 Quad-CrossFire First Look Performance - Quad Graphics Cards

How can you say no the that?
Old February 9, 2012, 08:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

2000 american each!??!

Only other solution would be quad 7970. Only way to quiet them is liquid cooling. Liquid cooling might make it as expensive as mars 2 (think quad rad, dual DC5, big res, 4 blocks, 4 backplates, 12-14 fittings ~ 1000 american)

If you think about it physically you have 4 cores on a mars2 and 4 cores on quad 7970. Also, a single 7970 produces less heat than a 580. So 4 7970 could possibly produce much less heat than 2 marsII.

Perhaps with a really good case for quad sli, like the TJ-11, that rotate your board 90 degrees, the fans would stay in the quiet zone for your games. You have dual 180mm fans (air penetrators come with it) blowing right where you want it, inbetween that sandwich mess of cards.

One other thing. The board you're lookin at might have problems with 2 mars2 because if memory serves me correctly they are triple slotters. The two x16 lane pci slots are spaced such that you might have a potential problem.

Solution is to go with asus rog board. It would look better with the marsII aswell (matching colour scheme)
Old February 9, 2012, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I find the Core i7 3960X so excessive even for a Dream PC,a Dream PC should be an incredible match BTW price/perfomance,
Since when is a "Dream Rig" a Budget build? Price for cmponents plays no part here ;)

Quote:
and the 990x was a big bottlenekc for these cards,
Your kidding right!! A CPU sporting 6 Cores / 12 Threads, 12MB Cache, built on X58 Tech OC'd to 4.3 Ghz WONT be a bottleneck!!

OP, Yep ditch the Mars n PSU go with a couple of 7970's or a couple of 580 Classifieds, AX 1.2kW and WC the whole works!!
Old February 9, 2012, 10:22 AM
Lyserberg

GUYS!GUYS! even for a dream i can't excpet to have very expensive components
you know what! we're going to dream!
I would've grab a GIGABYTE X79A-UD7 board,flashed with latest BIOS,throw 4 7970s on there,all being powered by a Core i7 3960X OC to 5.7 GHZ and for this purpose we will use quad Channel 4x4 2500MHZ STICKS from G.Skill or Kingston or Corsair
8 WILDFIRE SSDs will be running on RAID0 using an dedicated RAID card,and 4 4TB Hitachi HDDs running in RAID10 for maximum speed and redundancy
And the rest follow the fest!
in dreams everything can happen,and the Assassin 2 is the last thing i wanna see in a dream!