Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2012, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default At last........my spanking new build!!!!!! would love opinions and suggestions

AT LAST........THANK GOD (or whatever great power drives the universe).........MY NEW RIG IS COMPLETE

As some of you who've read some of my earlier posts know, over the last 12 months I have been trying to save cash to purchase quality PC components and build a new gaming rig despite the dificulties of finding such hardware in my home country of Nicaragua at a reasonable price. Ar last, I am happy to announce I have completed my build, using somewhat decent( though not the most cutting edge) components that I think will let me enjoy a reasonably good gaming experience given my current financial situation.

Here's my definitive set-up:

Case: EZCOOL A-180
PSU: XFX Core Edition Pro 750w
CPU: Core i-5 2500K
Aftermarket Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ( using Artic Cooling MX-4 thermal compound)
Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M revision 3.0 ( not the PRO version)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance

HDDs:320 GB WD Blue Caviar:OS
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12:storage

GFX Card: Radeon HD 6870
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS-122
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Now given my current set-up and the likelihood that I will be adding ANOTHER DVD-RW optical unit in the very near future, do you guys think I'll be able to OC my processor to 4.0Ghz without messing up other components and/or overall system health? My other question would be, given the fact that the motherboard I am using is the plain P8P67-M and not the PRO, will I still be able to achieve the 4Ghz I am shooting for by using the BIOS options in that board?

So far things are going fine and have not attempted to OC yet so I wanted to get some input into this before I go ahead and do it. By the way, do you guys know any fairly-simple guide to OC in my kind of board? Any info would be appreciated too.

Thanks so much for reading guys.

I hope to benefit from your collective wisdom and keep myself from doing something I might regret later on

cheers
Old February 7, 2012, 11:39 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I would go for the 6970 I am also saving money for a pc my mine is pretty much similar but:
i7 2600k
Gigabyte HD6970 triple fan
Old February 7, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankukai View Post
do you guys think I'll be able to OC my processor to 4.0Ghz without messing up other components and/or overall system health? My other question would be, given the fact that the motherboard I am using is the plain P8P67-M and not the PRO, will I still be able to achieve the 4Ghz I am shooting for by using the BIOS options in that board?
cheers
The 2500K will do 4.0ghz without even breaking a sweat, and I'm quite sure you will even be able to go higher with your asus board (4.4-4.6).
Old February 7, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankukai View Post
Now given my current set-up and the likelihood that I will be adding ANOTHER DVD-RW optical unit in the very near future, do you guys think I'll be able to OC my processor to 4.0Ghz without messing up other components and/or overall system health?
I take it that you're asking if your powersupply will be able to handle an overclock? short answer: Yes. You've got TONS of powersupply headroom with your current build.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 7, 2012, 12:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
I take it that you're asking if your powersupply will be able to handle an overclock? short answer: Yes. You've got TONS of powersupply headroom with your current build.

Well not just in terms of the OC itself, but rather in terms of the system as a whole. Keep in mind that I have TWO hard drives and might add a new optical drive pretty soon. Remember that this new rig will be for gaming, so I guess I'm talking about the system at full load
Old February 7, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You'll be fine. I'm running two video cards and up to 4 harddrives, 1 optical drive on a 700W. You have more than enough powersupply for what you're running there. harddrives and optical drives really don't take that much power. And consider that really only one of each would typically be running at once.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 7, 2012, 01:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks so much for the comments guys!!!!

I'm loving your input:) Just one more thing. Are there any no-nonsense i5-2500K OC guides for Asus mATX boards out there you guys would recommend to any OC beginner?
Old February 7, 2012, 02:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just one more question guys....I am currently using a Forza 750VA UPS for backup power and surge protection. What other UPS would you guys recommend that I get with this new equipment. The thing is, forza, trip-lite and APC are the most available UPS brands here in Nicaragua. Any particular model that would serve my new set up well?
Old February 7, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
^^^ Perhaps the OP is also considering "heat".....Great Big Abyss, you're in Winterpeg, pretty much one of coldest places in the Northern Hemisphere right now;) I'm sure you can get the ambient temp in your room to -20c if you open a window ;)

OP.....your on air, curious if you've got your PC in a room with AC? We were in southern Mexico 3 times last year and I would think that 32C and 90% humidity would be a "killer" !
AC please...?!

Old February 7, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ Perhaps the OP is also considering "heat".....Great Big Abyss, you're in Winterpeg, pretty much one of coldest places in the Northern Hemisphere right now;) I'm sure you can get the ambient temp in your room to -20c if you open a window ;)

OP.....your on air, curious if you've got your PC in a room with AC? We were in southern Mexico 3 times last year and I would think that 32C and 90% humidity would be a "killer" !
AC please...?!
Hmm, didn't think about that!!!! I'm not used to thinking in terms of warmer places.

ironically though, we've been having a very warm winter. It's been our warmest january since 2006. Only an average of -45C.

Haha, just kidding. It actually has been very warm. Hovering between -5 and +2 for most of January. Grass is showing in most spots, for crying out loud.